QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

now this isnot QAFL related, but down in my old stomping ground be it the Ovens and Murray comp, last years premiers Wangaratta Magpies were found guilty of salary cap breach . The VFL fined them 28k and they were penalised with no wins/points for the first 4 games of 2023. So the locals have gone apeshit about them not being stripped of the flag and the actual Ovens and Murray board conducted a meeting last night , and have over-ruled the VFL decision , stripping the Wangaratta Magpies of last years premiership.

now this isnot QAFL related, but down in my old stomping ground be it the Ovens and Murray comp, last years premiers Wangaratta Magpies were found guilty of salary cap breach . The VFL fined them 28k and they were penalised with no wins/points for the first 4 games of 2023. So the locals have gone apeshit about them not being stripped of the flag and the actual Ovens and Murray board conducted a meeting last night , and have over-ruled the VFL decision , stripping the Wangaratta Magpies of last years premiership.
Wow. Thought that may happen. Also my old stomping ground. I know a few people down there were filthy at the wet lettuce leaf decision by the VFL

Wow. Thought that may happen. Also my old stomping ground. I know a few people down there were filthy at the wet lettuce leaf decision by the VFL
Imagine if the AFL did this for the 1995 premiership ... :)

Suppose the NRL did it with Melb Storm - cheating is cheating. There are clubs in QAFL miles over the salary cap but isn't regulated.

Imagine if the AFL did this for the 1995 premiership ... :)

Suppose the NRL did it with Melb Storm - cheating is cheating. There are clubs in QAFL miles over the salary cap but isn't regulated.
I don't think for a second that is confined just to QAFL level SMY

I don't think for a second that is confined just to QAFL level SMY

Correct. We lost 4 to a D1 club, I know what we offered them, I know they are driving 3 times as far to play for them, so can only assume the offer was better. Those 4 alone would eat up 80% of D1 cap just on what we offered...🤣

Which clubs are miles over?
No need to name names I don't think Lagging but as said above there are a couple already plus I know of at least 2 in QAFL competition where there isn't a hope in hell they are under based on what is reported that blokes are being paid.
When the guidelines came out pre covid and the salary cap was introduced it was quite thorough and incorporated a lot of elements that were indirect payments but as old as the hills. eg, paying a spouse / partner to do a job that she doesn't do, payment for a position in a business that is well above the wage that would normally be paid, receiving all sorts of bonuses / petrol monies, having renovations done on a players home for next to nothing. There was supposed to be an audit process in place to capture this. Obviously HQ lost a whole lot of staff and the auditing was never going to happen when there was far more important things to consider such as just running a competition.
Some clubs aren't even worrying about being discreet about it all. Blokes getting paid straight up what they are being told they will get paid. At one club I know, sadly you had players that demanded that the money was paid in cash to avoid tax. And then clubs turn around and ask what is the AFL doing "about grassroots footy"? Does my head in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need to name names I don't think Lagging but as said above there are a couple already plus I know of at least 2 in QAFL competition where there isn't a hope in hell they are under based on what is reported that blokes are being paid.
When the guidelines came out pre covid and the salary cap was introduced it was quite thorough and incorporated a lot of elements that were indirect payments but as old as the hills. eg, paying a spouse / partner to do a job that she doesn't do, payment for a position in a business that is well above the wage that would normally be paid, receiving all sorts of bonuses / petrol monies, having renovations done on a players home for next to nothing. There was supposed to be an audit process in place to capture this. Obviously HQ lost a whole lot of staff and the auditing was never going to happen when there was far more important things to consider such as just running a competition.
Some clubs aren't even worrying about being discreet about it all. Blokes getting paid straight up what they are being told they will get paid. At one club I know, sadly you had players that demanded that the money was paid in cash to avoid tax. And then clubs turn around and ask what is the AFL doing "about grassroots footy"? Does my head in.
SMY, well maybe naming names is the only way to tackle the issue??

Also I reckon retrospective penalties don't seem to hold enough weight.

Perhaps AFLQ perform an audit on all finalists prior to allowing them to play finals?? That means 6 audits...... so start without offending anyone start with the 2 Grand Finalists in Aspley, Broady and another 4 as they qualify for finals.

Don't satisfy the paperwork, don't get to play finals..... and then 7th place comes in??

SMY, well maybe naming names is the only way to tackle the issue??

Also I reckon retrospective penalties don't seem to hold enough weight.

Perhaps AFLQ perform an audit on all finalists prior to allowing them to play finals?? That means 6 audits...... so start without offending anyone start with the 2 Grand Finalists in Aspley, Broady and another 4 as they qualify for finals.

Don't satisfy the paperwork, don't get to play finals..... and then 7th place comes in??
Yep - thats a reasonable solution. Mind you once you know you are going to be investigated with plenty of time up sleeve then you may change things around a bit to cover your backside. But it's an idea. Basically the salary cap is treated as a joke by most clubs and their coaches who can afford to pay over it bc they know it doesn't get looked into.

Funny reading about payments. The old brown paper bag has been going on since the 80s. Not sure you will ever remove that system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back