Society/Culture Qantas cancels all flights indefinitely

Remove this Banner Ad

Qantas has cancelled every single worldwide Qantas-operated flight immediately, until further notice, with the airline advising that "customers booked on Qantas flights should not go to the airport until further notice".

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-strike-shutdown-all-qantas-operated-flights-cancelled

I note Alan Joyce waited until after the AGM.

This looks little more than a campaign to demonise his own workforce by causing maximum inconvenience to his customers.
The guy should have been sacked rather than given a 60% pay rise

Qantas has cancelled every single worldwide Qantas-operated flight immediately, until further notice, with the airline advising that "customers booked on Qantas flights should not go to the airport until further notice".

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-strike-shutdown-all-qantas-operated-flights-cancelled

I note Alan Joyce waited until after the AGM.

This looks little more than a campaign to demonise his own workforce by causing maximum inconvenience to his customers.
The guy should have been sacked rather than given a 60% pay rise

Totally agree..

He is a former Director of Orangestar Investment Holdings Pte Limited (holding company of Singapore-based Jetstar Asia . He also was a former executive of Ansett.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Joyce_(executive)#Career

me thinks this is the end of Qantas......

Disgusting low act.

He also was a former executive of Ansett.

Oh the irony :(

I think you're right.
Could be the end for Qantas.
At least extremely damaging.

He's bragging he had the full support of share holders yesterday.
So why didn't he tell them what he was about to get up to.
He was obviously worried he wouldn't have their full support if he was honest.

I bet most share holders wont be happy when they see what happens to the value of their shares on Monday.

Was going to post a competition

Predict whan Joyce will resign and the size of his payout.

Hopefully her maj had the good sense to use another airline

While I disagree strongly with the boss getting his pay rise.....this action does not surprise me....about time unions were held accountable for the trouble AND unemployment THEY cause..(I've been there, done that)

Qantas could not keep going the way it has been this last few weeks....something had to give..

It is not looking good for the future of our main carrier, and the union and its members i.e. staff of Qantas, need to pull their heads in and realise they have jobs that are well paid (certainly a lot more than I get, and that others would be happy to get) and without Qantas they DON'T have a job at all!!...

Unions cause more trouble than they are worth, and have brought many a business to its knees, which in turn means heartache for the workers..

When will these union members wake up??....Say NO!!....the union officials get paid, while the workers are on strike without pay..

We have to get behind Qantas on this, or they are gone for good..

Pretty standard when things get to this point. No different to NBA and NFL lockouts.

Anybody actually know what the union demands are? All i can find is this about the 1000 jobs going offshore. If the business goes broke, which is looking likely now, there will be more than 1000 jobs gone.

holy s**t..... what is his angle?

the only thing I can think of is scaremongering.

Make an even bigger inconvenience than the unions and turn public opinion against them as well as creating a crisis for Gillard so she is forced to intervene.

Absolute stupidity by qantas

Whatever your opinion is on the merits of the pay claims of the various unions I thought their industrial action was petty and counterproductive in the sense that it inconveniences the very people they would be looking to for support.

You could argue that up to now qantas management had majority public support but decide to cancel flights worldwide without notice which will do far more damage than the unions ever did

Got to wonder now that maybe there was more merit to the unions claims than I initially thought. And Joyce just got a massive payrise

Some posters letting thir anti union bias blind them to the fact that Joyce is a loose cannon.

Note that lots of qantas subsidiary flights will continue to operate

death threats ? I thought the irish were thick skinned ?

People need to remember that if there is no Qantas there are no wages and therefore there is no payrise for Joyce.

Qantas has been an absolute joke the last month or so. They couldn't go on like they were.

I reckon 2 out of every 3 flights I've caught with them have been delayed and delayed significantly.

Wonder if FWA will take two years to get on top of this issue like they did with the Thomson affair....

Oh the irony :(

I think you're right.
Could be the end for Qantas.
At least extremely damaging.

He's bragging he had the full support of share holders yesterday.
So why didn't he tell them what he was about to get up to.
He was obviously worried he wouldn't have their full support if he was honest.

I bet most share holders wont be happy when they see what happens to the value of their shares on Monday.
Who cares, a public safety intiative, how many engines need to blow out before someone dies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must admit I haven't really been following the story so I don't know the merits of either the unions' or the airline's case. But this does seem like the nuclear option, and one that could turn their loyal customers against them. My first instinct is sympathy for all the people who have had their travel plans disrupted.

Must admit I haven't really been following the story so I don't know the merits of either the unions' or the airline's case. But this does seem like the nuclear option, and one that could turn their loyal customers against them. My first instinct is sympathy for all the people who have had their travel plans disrupted.

Mate - the loyal customers were already leaving in droves.

I know at my work we were already starting to switch across to Virgin as Qantas were just completely unreliable.

Mate - the loyal customers were already leaving in droves.

I know at my work we were already starting to switch across to Virgin as Qantas were just completely unreliable.

I have had texts form some of my staff, who can't get into work now. Fly in Fly out, going to cost my Department a fortune in wages and accommodation for staff who are stranded. Thanks Qantas.

So what is the union going to do now?
They must realize by now that Qantas isn't going to cave in.

Its up to them now because this useless government sure as hell won't be able to do anything. Fair Work Australia. What a laugh that is.

This kind of thing happens more than people realise, A few months ago my work went through industrial action and it got the point where the company threatened a lockout, the EBA was resolved a few days later. Rolling stoppages and 2 hr stoppages dont really hurt the employees that are striking because its only a small portion of their pay packet. It hurts the company ans their customers a lot more. To lock the employees out for a few days or even a week does hurt, people than have to find cash to pay mortgages, bills, etc.

I have had texts form some of my staff, who can't get into work now. Fly in Fly out, going to cost my Department a fortune in wages and accommodation for staff who are stranded. Thanks Qantas.

Ridiculous that its gotten this far.

Have you guys been switching across or don't you have an option? You're regional mostly aren't you?

Read online that the cops were called to Adelaide airport, hope the striking workers give the jacks a touch up.

Ridiculous that its gotten this far.

Have you guys been switching across or don't you have an option? You're regional mostly aren't you?

Two legs of flights. Qantas link leg is fine atm, but the normal isn't. we have no choice who we fly with. Cheapest when booked as a flexi fare. Thats Qantas normally.

I have one lady stranded in Sydney on way back from NZ.

There goes my budget....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back