Qatar to lose 2022 World Cup. Who gets it? Who should get it?

Remove this Banner Ad

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well, not quite yet, but one can clearly see where these events are headed.

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, & Bahrain Cut Diplomatic Ties, Shut All Borders With Qatar

by Tyler Durden
Jun 4, 2017 11:20 PM
SHARES
TwitterFacebookReddit

Just days after president Trump left the region, a geopolitical earthquake is taking place in the Middle East tonight as the rift between Qatar and other members of the (likely extinct) Gulf Cooperation Council explodes with Bahrain, UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt cutting all diplomatic ties with Qatar accusing it of "speading chaos," by funding terrorism and supporting Iran.

The dispute between Qatar and the Gulf's Arab countries started over a purported hack of Qatar's state-run news agency. It has spiraled since, and appears to be climaxing now... just days after President Trump left the region.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...n-cut-diplomatic-ties-block-all-borders-qatar

Withdrawing diplomats and citizens is a prelude to war.

Clearly if Saudi Arabia go full bore and destroy Qatar they are going to destroy all those lovely new stadi Qatar have been building with slave labour.

The question then becomes - who gets the 2022 World Cup after Qatar (and it's stadia) become smoking ruins????

If FIFA didn't care about shocking humans rights abuse, unsuitable weather, bribes and lack of facilities when offering Qatar the World Cup, then I don't think anything will change their mind.
Money talks in that corrupt organisation, and I fully expect Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup and a lot of players to boycott, and for it to go down as one of the most shambolic International Sporting Events of all time

Still gotta get through the racist, sexist, homophobic, riot happy Russians first.
Every country has a population of racists, sexists, homophobes & riot happy people. Russia has footballing history too, Qatar has zero.

I'd probably go for the US -they have the stadiums and infrastructure already in place to handle a competition of this size plus the game is really growing there the last few years.

I'd probably go for the US -they have the stadiums and infrastructure already in place to handle a competition of this size plus the game is really growing there the last few years.

Will be US or China

US because they have all they need to host it anyway

China because $$$. And they could build what they need overnight

Hosting sports tournaments should really only go to those that can actually host it. Too many ambitious countries being tricked into the boon of hosting it, only to see them fall out of use and wrecked over time.

The corruption and public discontent it stirs up... hoo boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they are going to strip Qatar of hosting rights it has to be pretty much now. Land border between Qatar and Saudi Arabia is closed and 80% of Qatar's food used to go via land. Iran have stepped in with shipments of food to Qatar but the tournament surely cannot possibly go ahead if this situation doesn't change soon.

Every country has a population of racists, sexists, homophobes & riot happy people. Russia has footballing history too, Qatar has zero.

incorrect, Qatar does have a strong football history. it just isn't as noticeable because the immense difference in population.

Russia is ranked #47 and Qatar #62 of 186 positions and over 200 nations in the all time wealth and population adjusted Elo ratings: http://internationalsports.nfshost.com/index.php/home/load_all_time/5

these are both higher ratings than the United States and South Africa, who have both hosted the World Cup. i am not defending Qatar's human rights abuses (which plenty of other countries in the region are also guilty of such as Saudi Arabia and Israel, as well as their allies the United States), but if we are speaking in terms of football Qatar is certainly worthy.

all time rankings:
#68: Israel
#83: Saudi Arabia
#109: South Africa
#153: United States

Explosive corruption allegations rock Qatar’s winning World Cup bid

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...d/news-story/559f09eeba4f5e60c1da8131df39f855

I've changed my mind. Let's bid for it. I'll do my part and offer up my kid's bank account details...... :D
This same headline must have been written at least 10 times over the past few years

After reading all the evidence presented in "The Ugly Game" by those two British journalists that was ignored by FIFA, I am totally convinced that Qatar will not lose 2022

Reading the Australian section of the full report in bits and pieces during work.

The "Australian Whistleblower" has so far come across as a seriously scorned woman who's info is unreliable.

Sounds familiar to just about any other report about sport written by blokes........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back