Review QCLASH XX - Round 9 vs Brisbane @ Metricon Stadium (15.05.21 - 4:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is at Richmond they have Richmond
We have been the laughing stock of the AFL since inception for better or worse
For these guys not making this team is embarrassing so they will take the low road as a default position
I don't believe that can be put entirely on their shoulders- there has to be coaching and club issues at play
Sean Lemmens is my perfect example of someone who got dropped constantly and instead of sooking it up he changed position and bettered himself becoming an integral part of the 22. Sam Collins got delisted and instead of a giving up worked as hard as he could and is now probably our most important player. We had this issue in our inception of players just expecting it to happen because they are talented and it is stuck in the club DNA one thinks. Rankine is a prime example

Must be pretty unmotivating to know once you’re out of flavour with the coach your papers are stamped though
You know they had an external guy come in a few years back and he concluded there was a closed mindset with some of the coaches that is not productive for player development.
They discounted it and did not act on one part of his conclusions.

You know they had an external guy come in a few years back and he concluded there was a closed mindset with some of the coaches that is not productive for player development.
They discounted it and did not act on one part of his conclusions.

There is this long term systemic stubbornness from the top down and it’s continually shown year after year.. their unwillingly wanting to listen to anyone outside the click group and suns way is the best and only way apparently yet it’s the same issues year in year out it’s almost predictable

Yeah nah
LeBron sounding off on players with less talent than he has in his little finger lacks insight
It's like rich white guys with expensive educations and million dollar a year jobs moaning about migrants not wanting to turn up and pick fruit for $20 an hour and "play their role"
I mean I believe the speech was to his sons AAU team, so by your logic no high profile player in any sport would ever be able to give advice to any player that's beneath him.

The point of it still stands though and guys like Holman, Lemmens etc. exemplify it. Once you make it to the AFL you're still one of the best players in the country, but not everyone can be a Nat Fyfe or Gary Ablett, and just because you're getting less playing time than you want or you're not dominating like you want doesn't mean you can't contribute to the team winning through other ways like setting the culture, standard and professionalism. It's a team sport and someone has to fill those roles. The amount of times you watch Holman completely sacrifice himself with a shepherd so his teammate can hunt the ball is ridiculous and yet you barely see it from anyone else and he gets dropped regularly.

If a player is just 'not trying' because they're playing reserves and feeling they're being overlooked then they're never going to make it.

By all means ask for a trade when the season is done to a team that you think will play you more, but effort is a non-negotiable.

I mean I believe the speech was to his sons AAU team, so by your logic no high profile player in any sport would ever be able to give advice to any player that's beneath him.

The point of it still stands though and guys like Holman, Lemmens etc. exemplify it. Once you make it to the AFL you're still one of the best players in the country, but not everyone can be a Nat Fyfe or Gary Ablett, and just because you're getting less playing time than you want or you're not dominating like you want doesn't mean you can't contribute to the team winning through other ways like setting the culture, standard and professionalism. It's a team sport and someone has to fill those roles. The amount of times you watch Holman completely sacrifice himself with a shepherd so his teammate can hunt the ball is ridiculous and yet you barely see it from anyone else and he gets dropped regularly.

If a player is just 'not trying' because they're playing reserves and feeling they're being overlooked then they're never going to make it.

By all means ask for a trade when the season is done to a team that you think will play you more, but effort is a non-negotiable.
Bingo

Yeah nah
LeBron sounding off on players with less talent than he has in his little finger lacks insight
It's like rich white guys with expensive educations and million dollar a year jobs moaning about migrants not wanting to turn up and pick fruit for $20 an hour and "play their role"
SandyToes real question so don’t take it personally, Why does your analogy have to say “white” guys.

I can only speak for myself but I am getting tired of comments about the evils of white men. why has this term, in a supposed time of tolerance become acceptable

SandyToes real question so don’t take it personally, Why does your analogy have to say “white” guys.

I can only speak for myself but I am getting tired of comments about the evils of white men. why has this term, in a supposed time of tolerance become acceptable
it's also just a terrible analogy - that apparently because LeBron is one of the greatest athletes of all time and has earned money from that career that his knowledge on what it takes to win isn't worth listening to because people out there who need the advice don't earn as much and aren't as good as him.

I'm white,male, well educated and have a good income.I don't feel I have to justify that but nevertheless I would never tell someone doing things they don't want to do they should suck it up and be happy.It was really just to illustrate that privilege isn't isolated to my demographic .Le Bron doesn't know what it's like not to be first picked and adored.I heard someone comment on privilege once by saying, just like a duck doesn't know it's wet, you don't know you're soaking in it.And I bet LeBron will tell you how hard he's had to work for it.....

it's also just a terrible analogy - that apparently because LeBron is one of the greatest athletes of all time and has earned money from that career that his knowledge on what it takes to win isn't worth listening to because people out there who need the advice don't earn as much and aren't as good as him.
I think it's an excellent analogy so we'll agree to disagree

I think it's an excellent analogy so we'll agree to disagree
If someone with talent isn't able to give advice to people with less talent than themselves then who can?

You can also dumb it down to 'rich boss annoyed at poorly paid workers' but it's not close to that at all.

Should Gary Ablett, Nat Fyfe, Dustin Martin etc. stop going to schools and football clinics and stop sharing advice just because they're more talented and richer than those they would be speaking to?

If Cyril Rioli came up to the Gold Coast and tried to offer advice to Rosas/Macpherson etc would you be pissed off because Cyril is more talented and has more money than both of them?

Whether it's speaking to kids or speaking to other players it's either:
Offering advice to kids, who are playing an unpaid game because they enjoy it and giving them the tools to get better and to win the games and potentially improve to a level where they can earn money from it.
or
Offering advice to teammates or competitors because you want to win or want to see them improve their game.

neither of which is a bad thing.

Been many talented people who don't make it. A hard working player with a smaller amount of talent is almost always more likely to make it then someone who has lots of talent but doesn't work for it. You get rare cases of generational talent and work ethic together eg Michael Jordan, LeBron, GAJ, Chris Judd but talent will only get you so far. Our problem is and has been that talent has been relied upon more then work ethic. Don't care if you are Jy Farrar or Matt Rowell, the work ethic needs to be the same from the 40th player on the list to the 1st. Hard work breeds talent, not the other way around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Send Rankine to the Reserves for at least a month and make him work on basic simple hard footy stuff, NOT trying to be fancy and try one handed stuff ever time he goes near it, which isnt very often. Play a player that wants to do things that are simple and has a crack wityhout worrying about being hurt.

Send Rankine to the Reserves for at least a month and make him work on basic simple hard footy stuff, NOT trying to be fancy and try one handed stuff ever time he goes near it, which isnt very often. Play a player that wants to do things that are simple and has a crack wityhout worrying about being hurt.
I’ve said this several times in the last 12 months.. love it when he does the amazing, but needs to go back and do the essentials right.

Serious question
Can you recall when sending a quality player to our reserves resulted in a new dynamism, a refreshed player with a rejigged outlook on footy and turned them into a better player?
I'm struggling

People that not happy with Luko and Rankine can let them go to port /Adelaide for a bag of chips like Lyons .

Serious question
Can you recall when sending a quality player to our reserves resulted in a new dynamism, a refreshed player with a rejigged outlook on footy and turned them into a better player?
I'm struggling
It’s more about knowing that you are not a walk up start every week and nit trying to be fancy every time you go near it ... wake up call is more to The point or reality check if you like

I witnessed Dew on a number of occasions go down to the bench to have a crack at Lyons. I never saw him do it to anyone else.
He clearly had a beef with him.
Im wavering now on Dew and I’ve probably been his most vocal supporter here.
I can 100% say that Lyons and Dew did not see eye to eye.

Spoke to Lyons about 1 week before he was shown the door. In Lyons words “they would rather play athletes over someone who can get the footy”.

He was also struggling with a foot injury for the whole season and was unable to train fully.

Credit to Brisbane for identifying an absolute bargain.

I can 100% say that Lyons and Dew did not see eye to eye.

Spoke to Lyons about 1 week before he was shown the door. In Lyons words “they would rather play athletes over someone who can get the footy”.

He was also struggling with a foot injury for the whole season and was unable to train fully.

Credit to Brisbane for identifying an absolute bargain.
I remember when he did the foot injury, he went back on and limped around to try and help the club as we were short of players, how did Dew reward him, ****ed him over that’s how. I’m happy for Lyons and hopefully some influential people are looking at Dew and his decisions

played in VFL, could be playing in a few weeks if our forwards keep shitting the bed. big fan of him, hardest tacklers
Any idea how he went?

Yeah, he's a great bloke and player. I can't wait to see him back in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back