Review QCLASH XX - Round 9 vs Brisbane @ Metricon Stadium (15.05.21 - 4:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Goldcoast-vs-Brisbane.png

2021 AFL Season
Round 9
Gold Coast FC vs Brisbane Lions
Metricon Stadium, Nerang, Queensland
May 15th 2021 - 4:35pm Australian Eastern Standard Time

QClashMania.png

lets go​

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
We suck so bad against Brisbane so not much hope. Especially when Brisbane pump Freo by 60 tomorrow

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am trying to feel the Flanders love but can't.(Brodie must wish he could get 3 games in a row on spec)Flanders has to come out -maybe Atkins?
Smith for Witch's Hat Graham
Sexxy for Holman who's probably injured
If Touk doesn't get up I'd play Brodie over Fiorini

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I get the feeling Touk may miss a week with a hamstring, so there's probably an opportunity there for Brodie to come in.

If that happens i'd be hoping for

Flanders > Sexton
Graham > Smith
Touk (if injured) > Brodie

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am trying to feel the Flanders love but can't.(Brodie must wish he could get 3 games in a row on spec)Flanders has to come out -maybe Atkins?
A few passengers today should definitely be dropped.

I think we have to bring Smith in for Graham. We got away with not playing a ruckman for a few weeks but you can only roll the dice so many times before it comes back to bite you and the St Kilda game happened to be the one that exposed us. We lost the hitouts 49-15, lost the clearances 37-27 and lost the centre clearances 10-7. These three statistical deficiencies are almost entirely the direct result of not playing a recognised ruckman and coming up against a legitimate A grade combination in Ryder-Marshall. I don't believe we have a good excuse to leave Smith out of the team now and Graham was rated as the second worst player on field today so it's a pretty obvious swap for mine.

I'd be in favour of bringing Sexton back in as well, particularly if someone like Holman is injured but if not I'd probably drop Flanders for Secco. If Miller is hurt then you probably have to play Brodie after his 40+ touches in the VFL last week but I'm really hoping Touk can play because he has QClash history with Zorko and often plays well against Brisbane.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In - Sexton, Rosa, Smith Out - Holman. Graham , Flanders

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Reckon rankine should get dropped for a week for that free against Jones - genuine momentum killer and we were set for a guaranteed goal.

gotta grow up

Disambiguous

Water Boy
Jan 12, 2016
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I get the feeling Touk may miss a week with a hamstring, so there's probably an opportunity there for Brodie to come in.

If that happens i'd be hoping for

Flanders > Sexton
Graham > Smith
Touk (if injured) > Brodie

We can't afford to lose three pressure players, for three players who don't tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We can't afford to lose three pressure players, for three players who don't tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Flanders or Ainsworth have been bog average even at pressure the last few games. At least sexton kicks goals.

graham isn’t a pressure player and we need a ruck

if Touk is injured Brodie is our next best midfielder. He also tackles plenty, he just doesn’t apply a lot of pressure outside the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
After the initial disappointment has now passed of a missed up opportunity against St Kilda, I looked at the ladder and realised that we're guaranteed to be just one win behind the top 8 regardless of today's results. Sometimes it can feel like a single loss is the end of a season but it's simply not true. We're still in a great position to compete for a top 8 position this season and a win over Brisbane next week would really back that up.

If you were to go back to the start of this season and write down which teams we should beat in the first 8 rounds then I'd suggest most people would have said North Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney were the games we definitely should have won based on last year's results. Then we had 50/50 games against Carlton and St Kilda at home (although St Kilda played finals last year so it was probably more of a 60/40 in the Saints' favour) & I highly doubt anyone thought we would win away games against West Coast, the Bulldogs or Collingwood before the season started. So between 3-4 wins was always going to be considered around the mark for us at the conclusion of round 8.

With our draw, 5 wins = fantastic start to the season, 4 wins = good start to the season, 3 wins = decent start to the season, 2 wins = bad start to the season, 1 win = terrible start to the season, 0 wins = forget about it.

Obviously a fourth win yesterday would have been fantastic but in my mind we've still won enough games for this to be considered a decent start to the season. It just means that to get our season back on the "good start" path, we need to pick up a win against an opponent we weren't expected to beat; enter our round 9 fixture against the Brisbane Lions at Metricon. Once again, we have an opportunity to cause a big upset against a highly fancied opponent that is struggling with injuries (Neale and Rayner being the most notable outs) and get our season back on track like we did against the Swans three weeks ago.

The Lions will be coming off a six day break and who knows what's going to happen in their Fremantle game today. They could fall out of form or suffer more injuries which would help our cause even more. Either way, we've got another huge opportunity to shock the AFL world in this game and I'm sure the boys will be fired up to show Brisbane we're not just the 'little brother' that's going to be bullied on its home deck!

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Down vote away!
I'm not losing faith in Flanders , but 4 games for a small forward with no goals and 1 assist?
I'm not sure I can recall him even having a shot on goals?
We know Sexton albeit with his defensive deficiencies over the past 3 seasons has averaged over 1.5 goals a game and is a proven match winner
I'm on the we need to win games side of the ledger and I'm not sure Sam can do that for us at this stage
But if you're on the 2021 is a development year, fair enough

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Better at what?Not kicking goals or picking up disposals that's for sure
14 touches as a small forward with only 69% game time (our lowest) Think you are being a bit harsh on him Sandy. Kids only in his 9th game, Ainsworth had less impact from 16 touches and more game time and is much more seasoned. Flanders is a much better defensive forward then Ainsworth and needs to keep his spot on that alone.

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So someone has to come in for Touk. That sucks, as Q-Clash is his specialty and he is in red hot form. Now we lose some of his explosiveness.

So a shuffle is in order, with a lot of questions over team selection.

Swallow back in the guts full-time?

Maybe Weller in there too more, like last year, to add that pace and break-away we may lack and get him more involved in the game?

Atkins could come in and shuffle players around, so he sits on the other wing to Ellis?

Maybe Brodie or Fiorini as a proper full-time inside mid gets a look in now?

Sexton might be an option for Holman? But he hasn’t played a game in a few weeks at any level. But he adds experience and class.

McPherson is an option too? But I wouldn’t be thrilled about that due to his disposal butchering of late. He is more like Holman than Sexton though.

Smith for Graham could work? Graham tried, but might be time for a spell. Smith might offer more in terms of experience, but doubt he offers a lot less unless he is really underdone, so could be worthwhile. Didn’t look great in the VFL though... but might work in tandem with Burgess.

Lots of dilemmas and questions, but expect some changes after a loss, but Touk is a huge, huge out.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Brodie and Fiorini step up, 1 week loan here we go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back