Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah no probs, one last word though if I may, if we had beaten Richmond tonight there would be no opposition posting on their board, you guys are a class act and don't give up hope on this season, you did a lot wrong tonight and lost by * all, the new bye before finals really evens up the prelims IMO.

Worst game all year.
Taking Stanley out ridiculous. Grundy destroyed Blicavs. Ragdolled him
Ablett played like he wss disinterested
Without Danger and Henry and Stewart we might as well not have been there
Kolo awful
Tuohy awful
Ablett awful
Please either start lowering the eyes and look for targets or put us out of our misery quickly
Scott presser full of denial.
We lost because we didnt look but kicked high balls all night. Pitiful

When does it change?

2016 Preliminary Final
2017 Qualifying Final
2017 Preliminary Final
2018 Elimination Final
2019 Qualifying Final

If the opposition had the same jumpers on I genuinly cant tell these games apart?

Slow Start, last couple of goals before half time to give us hope, they kick away in the third again and we save face in the last. I have watched this movie too many times now.

Why did Stanley not play? Even if it actually was wet as soon as I heard the late change I said Collingwood are now favorites.

We looked slow tonight, this team doesn't look like premiership material, I hope tonights enough to shelve any plans on Higgins and Steven and aim to get some key position kids in.

This team is built for home and away.

How do we stop Nicnat and their midfield next week?

I didn't leave the game tonight sad, I left angry.

What changes? How do we fix this because we are 1 game away from wasting yet another opportunity!!!!!

You can't finish a season become minor premiers and tear a gameplan apart after one loss unfortunately as every Geelong supporter would like that to be the case.

If anything next week with personnel changes may allow the cats to return to the structure that was used most of the year.

I know Stanley convo again although Savrat is too important forward creating a contest & Blicavs is the best defender the cats have. So genuinely just keeping those two in the spots they played majority of season with Kennedy, Darling & Co is a must.

We know West Coast are one of the better intercept team's in the comp and love a game style where they get lots of uncontested marks. And deliver the ball by foot so we need to take that away from them considering Geelong won't change the gameplan zone defence style. Cats need to win at at the coalface throw the magnets around a touch risk winning and losing the match through the midfield battle. Take up aggressive stoppage positions try and create higher time in possession numbers and get those repeat inside 50's.

if Ablett & Dangerfield need to be isolated deep inside forward 50 forcing guys to move the ball quickly and creating different types of looks catching the eagles over the back ( even just the threat of ) Hawkins providing that hitup target so be it. To me vs collingwood plain simply too one dimensional heading forward someone may correct me although the ball continually came in slow and predictably only collingwood errors or taking half chances I remember 1 menegola goal when it worked outside of that nada.

It it is not geelongs calling card but we just need to make the defenders uncomfortable Mcgovern, Hurn & Co are probably better than Moore & Howe so as template A we know hitup leads are crucial to being able to kick 12-13 goals you probably need to win. Has to become part of the scoring diet.

So Geelong already know which area west coast want the ball going inside defensive 50. Height with air so they can roll and zone then switch and go.

So for mine roll the dice on personnel a little Stanley, Constable, Guthrie come in.

Bews ( ankle ), Duncan ( Knee ) Rohan looked possibly injured ( Constable )

See what happens loosen them up on the track it's a free swing now elimination final and plain pure and simply if the veterans namely Taylor, Ablett, Selwood, Hawkins just need to be better they know what's required maybe if no response comes 2 of the 4 don't go on again.

Was about to post this exact same observation. You're spot on, it was bizarre. Often we had 2 on 2 situations where both Cats would fly for the ball against one Pie and the contest would be split with both Cats going to ground and the ball spilling in the direction of the one Collingwood player not involved in the aerial contest who, being the only one at the foot of the contest, would be free to run goalward unimpeded.

It was definitely, as you say, a lack of communication but I also put it down to an inability to cope with the occasion. O'Connor especially looked really panicked at times and didn't seem to be thinking clearly, which probably led to some of the self-spoiling moments.

O'Connor appeared really slow witted. The Irish game really appeared in his play tonight, meaning he thought he had more time, and could outrun the mad pressure. One or two fair marks didn't make up for his mistakes. Yeh, they were all slow, a horrible mistake ridden, lockdown game, with not one nice passage of play worth running the replay over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many more years is Scott signed for? And can we make it less?

You see this is the problem. We added 4 years to his contract last year just before the final.
Why did they extend it when our obvious issue is finals? That was the only real question we had of him and it’s a big one and he didn’t answer it, in fact he got smacked by the Dees and Pies in exactly the same fashion in finals since he signed on.

I’m furious at our board for adding 4 years before he won a bloody final.

3 more years left, he ain’t going anywhere yet so I hope to god we make a GF at the very least otherwise this situation is diabolical.
Many members won’t renew, I will but many won’t. A dumb early decision to extend his contract.

Wasn't fake mate, but I'll move on.

Sorry mate. A lot here are still pretty p*ssed off. Have read most of your comments, and can't see any malice in them. Got a lot more time for Collingwood supporters than Richmond and Hawthorn ones, tell you that much. Probably not the best time to post anything, even if it is a respectful post. It'll just be taken as being a smartass, as that's what a lot of smug oppo supporters do after a game. Not saying you are, but just explaining why it's being taken that way.

The sentiment is nice, but this is deja vu 4 years running and we're all pretty sick to death of Scott, the MC and the lack of effort in the biggest games. Appreciate the kind words though :thumbsu:

We were in prime position coming into this finals series and now we’re one game from going out in straight sets again. Can’t perform after a bye and can’t perform in the finals. What do we change? Nothing, CS just states that nothing is wrong. And tonight I found out that we’ve only won one in eleven games away from kardinia park. This in itself shows how bad we’ve been going and something should’ve been done before the finals. My answer has been for a long time now that CS needs to go. We could still win the flag this year and by leaving CS in charge gives us ZERO chance. Sack him now, get a game plan that’s not revolved on only stopping the opposition from scoring and fire a rocket up the players arse. Do something before this season is GONE.

Feeling very flat after that. Yet another slow start to a final - getting very predictable. Never really in the game, outcoached yet again in a final under Scott. I was hopeful before the game but deep down I knew what was coming. It's the same every year these days. It's just so deflating - I'm never confident any more - maybe one day we will be a force again, but it's a while away I fear. It's funny - we finished on top of the ladder, were favourites going into the game, but I never once was confident of a win - maybe in home and away, but finals, not a chance. We just don't have the mental capacity or game plan to win one with this team and coach - let alone get to a grand final.

Only hope of winning next week is if it's very wet IMO. West Coast's kicking skills are so much more superior than ours, that I fear a blowout if it's good conditions.

Apologies for being so negative, it's just the way I feel these days and I'm trying to be realistic so I don't get as upset as I used to when we fail. It's been a great ride but I think it's well and truly over for the time being.

Sorry mate. A lot here are still pretty p*ssed off. Have read most of your comments, and can't see any malice in them. Got a lot more time for Collingwood supporters than Richmond and Hawthorn ones, tell you that much. Probably not the best time to post anything, even if it is a respectful post. It'll just be taken as being a smartass, as that's what a lot of smug oppo supporters do after a game. Not saying you are, but just explaining why it's being taken that way.

The sentiment is nice, but this is deja vu 4 years running and we're all pretty sick to death of Scott, the MC and the lack of effort in the biggest games. Appreciate the kind words though :thumbsu:
Yeah good call, I remember in 2011 when I was on my 63 username you guys were pretty humble, I did mean what I said though, you guys are still a massive chance and I hope we don't bump into you again, shiat has changed, you can win after losing a quali.

You can't finish a season become minor premiers and tear a gameplan apart after one loss unfortunately as every Geelong supporter would like that to be the case.

If anything next week with personnel changes may allow the cats to return to the structure that was used most of the year.

I know Stanley convo again although Savrat is too important forward creating a contest & Blicavs is the best defender the cats have. So genuinely just keeping those two in the spots they played majority of season with Kennedy, Darling & Co is a must.

We know West Coast are one of the better intercept team's in the comp and love a game style where they get lots of uncontested marks. And deliver the ball by foot so we need to take that away from them considering Geelong won't change the gameplan zone defence style. Cats need to win at at the coalface throw the magnets around a touch risk winning and losing the match through the midfield battle. Take up aggressive stoppage positions try and create higher time in possession numbers and get those repeat inside 50's.

if Ablett & Dangerfield need to be isolated deep inside forward 50 forcing guys to move the ball quickly and creating different types of looks catching the eagles over the back ( even just the threat of ) Hawkins providing that hitup target so be it. To me vs collingwood plain simply too one dimensional heading forward someone may correct me although the ball continually came in slow and predictably only collingwood errors or taking half chances I remember 1 menegola goal when it worked outside of that nada.

It it is not geelongs calling card but we just need to make the defenders uncomfortable Mcgovern, Hurn & Co are probably better than Moore & Howe so as template A we know hitup leads are crucial to being able to kick 12-13 goals you probably need to win. Has to become part of the scoring diet.

So Geelong already know which area west coast want the ball going inside defensive 50. Height with air so they can roll and zone then switch and go.

So for mine roll the dice on personnel a little Stanley, Constable, Guthrie come in.

Bews ( ankle ), Duncan ( Knee ) Rohan looked possibly injured ( Constable )

See what happens loosen them up on the track it's a free swing now elimination final and plain pure and simply if the veterans namely Taylor, Ablett, Selwood, Hawkins just need to be better they know what's required maybe if no response comes 2 of the 4 don't go on again.

Great post. Think we are nutted with niggle injuries though, Danger's inflamed hip, Gazza's arm/ shoulder, maybe Dahlhaus. Stanley supposedly injured, but taken as just omitted. How fast the wheel can turn.

We are in no way close to using the injury excuse when you consider what the other teams have had. The fact is Chris Scott's game plan is s**t and he needs to leave. The guy is living on another planet - he couldn't say whether or not Grundy had an influence.. needs to re-watch the tape lol

So we were better off without Duncan tonight? Felt sorry for Bews as well, he was shite but who knows how his foot injury progressed? Not excuses, no way, just reality, and they had De Goey sidelined.

Presser
Be great if just said, "I scrwed up on the weather, had i checked google that said there was a 10% chance of rain, I would have played Stanley, am sorry Cats fans"

Instead, we lost Duncan so we had a an extra mid, Grundy was not influential according to the numbers"

Grow a ball, fess up and get your head out of your ego and take responsibility

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

After admitting to his team and the public he got tactics and strategy woefully wrong and taking full responsibility for the QF loss in 2015 Clarko's Hawks were able to regroup and win the flag.

Still very much their for the taking for us this year. But we would prefer to stick our heads in the sand and point at everything else rather then be honest we ourselves so straight sets or prelim out it will be. Very depressing.

The thing that annoys me is the same hawk poster sends the same posts the same “s**t in a toilet” picture and gets banned and still keeps coming back and doing it all over again
He specifically stated that Gralin wouldn't IP ban him. Probably a regular Hawks poster here on BF who the mods are happy to see make alternate accounts for such purposes.

Anyone else kind of want a straight sets exit just to see change at the football club? We're going no where with Scott at the helm.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's a very sad day but this unfortunately is what I want. I hate that I do but nothing will be fixed until the mc and coaches are gone.

Last edited:
And here is Fox Footy with a brand new article on the issue that they published at 11:30pm - an hour or so after the game:

Another media driven article about the issue, and if anyone from the club did act in the manner as suggested Cook should do, how many would be complaining about the clubs sense of entitlement & such?

No win situation for Scott & the club regardless of how they act or what they say

A serious question if I may. How many do you expect to attend the semi-final next week vs West Coast? I would have thought maybe 30,000 being against an interstate club?
Earlier this season, 28,085 attended at GMHBA Stadium when Geelong played West Coast. Your home ground holds 36,000. Surely the money hungry AFL will see no reason to force Geelong to play at the MCG this week?
I’m sorry, but I’m calling like I see it. You finished top of the ladder H&A. This game won’t draw 93,436 fans like vs the Pies. If fairness took a backseat to AFL money this week, then surely fairness prevails next week for your semi final.
Logic, fairness and everything else says this game must be played at GMHBA Stadium this Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back