Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
When it continually fails its very hard to grasp

I think we've seen plenty of the plan working or not working just in this year to have some idea of things.

Finals aren't special. They're a level above marketing exercise/themed rounds.

Untrue as in false. Such as a team being no hope, another team being a dead cert or a scoreline being flattering because it doesn't align with your headcanon of where we are at.

It's very cute to say that it was easy to tip in hindsight, but there was an upset and two definite coin flips. Even as things are not much has to change and those results could have gone the other way... instead we are now in a series with a very interesting bracket (Collingwood, GWS, Brisbane) that not long ago would have been seen as absolute crazy talk. And the chaos will not stop here (nor should there be any thoughts around it saving us).
Did not say it was an easy tip re GWS, as I said before. The others to me were. Why you paraphrase and misquote is your issue.
2 upsets --Are you saying GWS losing at home against Dogs was an upset? And then us losing as well?
You are correct, I guess, re my thoughts that Tigers are virtually guaranteed a GF spot and flag.
I was rapt when Pies beat them last year.
And imo, we have a better chance this week to beat WCE than I would have given us to beat Collingwood, but that's just an opinion. Why you object to opinions is bemusing. You think they are categorical statements that need to be shot down? I have read plenty worse and very provocative.
And watching our game on Friday, we certainly seemed to be well below their level for a majority of the game. We left at the 25 minute mark and to be that close at the end WAS flattering. Nothing to do with prematch tips OR where I think we're at.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Our kicking for goal improved. I think some players coming in, and Ablett's I50's made our foot passing look good. We still had the usual suspects butchering the ball, even when we were were looking sharp.

We looked tired late in the season. I can remember Collingwood also going stale late in 2011. Maybe that manic forward pressure we had earlier on took its toll?
First half of the season for sure. Conversion of simple chances since then has been poor and an underrated factor in the teams reduction in scoring capacity.

Don’t actually agree. You spend 85% of the season watching H&A games. I go to KP with my kids and it’s about the experience of it all with them. Winning and losing barely registers. There are thousands of families like us that buy memberships and go every week. We would do so regardless of making finals, let alone winning them.

I actually think the people who would stop following (in a financial sense) Geelong because of finals record would be quite the outliers.

Are those the ones that come on here and tell us memberships- no more, and hope we lose next week so CS gets more scrutiny??

Sep 9, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I just watched the replay, having been at the ground. I was a bit surprised watching it back we were a bit better than I thought on the night. Collingwood were certainly harder at it across the board and had more contribution from more players, but I wonder how things would have gone had Miers, Hawkins and Rohan kicked those sitters. It would be difficult to see Kolo play worse, or have that many incidents leading to goals.

Ablett really let himself down with Maynard in the 2nd quarter, a couple of poor efforts and lack of chasing. And Gaz fumbled for most of the night too.

Danger was better than I thought watching back too, it was a great performance from him, bar a couple of poor kicks, but without him we would have been miles off it. Selwood wasn’t as bad as some are saying.

I’m feeling a bit better about our prospects on Friday. I’d love us to get a crack at Richmond.

Are those the ones that come on here and tell us memberships- no more, and hope we lose next week so CS gets more scrutiny??
I guess so. People are passionate. But they will smell the liniment in March and get on board again.

Our kicking for goal improved. I think some players coming in, and Ablett's I50's made our foot passing look good. We still had the usual suspects butchering the ball, even when we were were looking sharp.

We looked tired late in the season. I can remember Collingwood also going stale late in 2011. Maybe that manic forward pressure we had earlier on took its toll?
Watching Richmond last night, (and Collingwood to a lesser extent) how do they do that non stop running and harassing. The pressure they exert for nearly 4 Q looks exhausting and taxing, yet it's how they play most weeks.

May 18, 2014
stuck in the simulacrum
AFL Club
Geelong
Watching Richmond last night, (and Collingwood to a lesser extent) how do they do that non stop running and harassing. The pressure they exert for nearly 4 Q looks exhausting and taxing, yet it's how they play most weeks.
You want be be the best you put the effort in week in week out...pretty simple really.
We are totally opposite so no surprise we got beat.

You want be be the best you put the effort in week in week out...pretty simple really.
We are totally opposite so no surprise we got beat.
Are our players physically and mentally capable of doing that though, at the wider G, for 4 Q?

May 18, 2014
stuck in the simulacrum
AFL Club
Geelong
Are our players physically and mentally capable of doing that though, at the wider G, for 4 Q?
Apparently we have been training specifically to be at our best come finals.
If you don't play that way each week it's going to be hard to flick the switch and do it when needed.
I know we can play that way...seen it earlier in the year but for some reason it's been shelved.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Fans dont stop following just because the club is not winning. They do however stop following if the style of game is deliberately boring

Bulldust

I saw this a week or 2 back on the main board - Football Statistics - which i enjoy reading - re crowds under 10k

5th June 1988 - Richmond ( when they were utter shiit - pity they still aernt ) V West Coast at the MCG - official attendance 7157 . Now the MCC members and Eagles supporters - lets say their 2k - that means " The Tiger Army " ( ha ha ) had 5000 their that day at the MCG

And why do you reckon that was - because they were utter rubbish and they were sick of watching them lose .

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
I just watched the replay, having been at the ground. I was a bit surprised watching it back we were a bit better than I thought on the night. Collingwood were certainly harder at it across the board and had more contribution from more players, but I wonder how things would have gone had Miers, Hawkins and Rohan kicked those sitters. It would be difficult to see Kolo play worse, or have that many incidents leading to goals.

Ablett really let himself down with Maynard in the 2nd quarter, a couple of poor efforts and lack of chasing. And Gaz fumbled for most of the night too.

Danger was better than I thought watching back too, it was a great performance from him, bar a couple of poor kicks, but without him we would have been miles off it. Selwood wasn’t as bad as some are saying.

I’m feeling a bit better about our prospects on Friday. I’d love us to get a crack at Richmond.

Thank God the weekends over- finally a post with some positivity.
I don't mind 48 hours of venting on every disgraceful aspect of our game, it's expected here.
Then it's boring, and stupid and blackly humourous.

Eating Danger alive for occasional stuff ups in decision making and kicks under pressure, it's beyond the pale.
Willed himself to every contest and tried to win the game off his own boot when others were so insipid.
But noooo, is selfish, distracted and needs kicking lessons.
What a laugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't mind 48 hours of venting on every disgraceful aspect of our game, it's expected here.

Eating Danger alive for occasional stuff ups in decision making and kicks under pressure, it's beyond the pale.
Willed himself to every contest and tried to win the game off his own boot when others were so insipid.
What a laugh.
It’s ok we are rebuilding

What a laugh.
As far as the Danger kicking, that was brought upas an example of what is wrong with Geelong, and CS yet again. My reply was that this is more up to the individual than the team coach. Danger is so far our MVP, it does seem reactive picking on his kicking by whoever it was, but at the same time, it's not a GFC problem- he had it at Adelaide for 8 years.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Bulldust

I saw this a week or 2 back on the main board - Football Statistics - which i enjoy reading - re crowds under 10k

5th June 1988 - Richmond ( when they were utter shiit - pity they still aernt ) V West Coast at the MCG - official attendance 7157 . Now the MCC members and Eagles supporters - lets say their 2k - that means " The Tiger Army " ( ha ha ) had 5000 their that day at the MCG

And why do you reckon that was - because they were utter rubbish and they were sick of watching them lose .
Crowds were horrible during the eighties except for marquee games. There is a reason why the vfl nearly folded

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
As far as the Danger kicking, that was brought upas an example of what is wrong with Geelong, and CS yet again. My reply was that this is more up to the individual than the team coach. Danger is so far our MVP, it does seem reactive picking on his kicking by whoever it was, but at the same time, it's not a GFC problem- he had it at Adelaide for 8 years.

It is what it is. The man is a machine, but carries expectations of perfection.
Yes, kicking a soft spot, was sometimes inconsistent in my supercoach scores when at Adelaide.
Since at Geelong has matured, and every year consistently returns top 3 AFL player averages.

There is also some veiled begrudging of his commercial interests. Don't hear any of that for Mr. Dusty Bonds though.
People need to get out of their Delorean time machine, stuck in 2011.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I said it would happen on Thursday, and if it had been pouring, wet , windy, stormy as predicted, it might have made sense.
The alternative was to drop Taylor , given the size of Pies forwards, and their speed. As I am a Stanley appreciator, I'd have him in every week.

Do you think any other coach would do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back