Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
And watching our game on Friday, we certainly seemed to be well below their level for a majority of the game. We left at the 25 minute mark and to be that close at the end WAS flattering. Nothing to do with prematch tips OR where I think we're at.

So after accusing me of not watching you yourself actually didn't watch?

You can't expect to be taken seriously leaving 25 minutes in.

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Interesting rant. But what’s wrong with Cotton on?

I agree, they are just about Geelong's largest private employer, and proudly remain in North Geelong after Target and that fool Guy Russo elected to spend multi millions building a whiz-bang new HQ in expensive Williams Landing for the reason that 'They want to have a broader range of staff' than their perfectly good North Geelong office. They are a huge enterprise, with a footprint all over the world. It's more logical than having Gucci, Versace or even Levi's as our sponsor.

But agree with most of your other points. But i do reckon Gazza has one shot left, he won't want to go out limply if this is his last season.

Was just reading that. What a sook. For the life of me, I can't see why Collingwood couldn't have worn this on Friday night:

View attachment 742760

Why should we have to bow down to Collingwood and change our guernsey? We were the home team FFS.
Because Eddie is arrogant + thinks he controls the AFL. He cannot handle not getting his own way, because he thinks Collingwood is the focus of the entire Universe.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Because Eddie is arrogant + thinks he controls the AFL. He cannot handle not getting his own way, because he thinks Collingwood is the focus of the entire Universe.
If they lost, he'd be whinging about it too. It is the height of arrogance. Every club must bend to our will. They won't even let Port wear their traditional black and white jumper.

If they lost, he'd be whinging about it too. It is the height of arrogance. Every club must bend to our will. They won't even let Port wear their traditional black and white jumper.
Eddie behaves like a petulant toddler when he doesn’t get his way! I can see him throwing his toys from his cot! Feel for his wife 😫 Imagine living with that immature, spoilt behaviour 🙄

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I hate to raise this, but post match one of our most senior men Harry Taylor refused to stand in the line for Pendles carry off. He deferred by standing behind it and the rest of his team and then he refused to clap him. It was a horrid lack of sportsmanship and reeked of the attitude of his coach of the last 10 years. Just an observation...

This also coming from the bloke who ran around like a turkey after winning the QF 3 years earlier when Isaac Smith missed post siren. The wheel turn the full circle!! Time to join your coach in the pastoring paddocks, Harry.

Harry’s an absolute gent. Doubt malice unless something else is going on.

Pendles done a dodgy anywhere along the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Both our teams played an honest, hard fought game of footy. We got the jump in the first quarter and held on by the skin of our teeth in our scoreless last quarter.
Of course I, along with many other Pies supporters, will be barracking for the Cats against the Weagles. Our two great Victorian clubs are the real deal, not some made up AFL franchise. Go get 'em, Cats!

Lived in Northcote for 15 years. Glad I’m out.

Spare us your thoughts. Nice though they are if true, we don’t need’em. No Degoey will be interesting, good luck with that and you can bugger off now back to the Peacock.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
It’s tough for a young bloke, but he looked totally out of his depth from the beginning.

You can expect that young players will get better at handling pressure as they mature, but I am convinced that the best big game players (not necessary the best players) are good from the start. Look at Cam Rainer’s first final today. He took the game on, even while making mistakes.

I think it is fair to say, based on the QF, that Atkins will never be a good finals performer.
On that basis, I would look for a replacement, who may not be a better player, but that can perform on the big stage

Harsh, yes - but, the current approach is not yielding players with the mentality to win finals.

Think that’s harsh. Thought he battled on all night and did what he does. Harry and tackle. Be nice if he kicks a goal but no he’s not quit that player. He’s a rich mans Ruggles. Probably be dropped in a year or two.

Wake up and there's 32 pages to go through - should I start with a strong coffee or keep going with the gin ?
Stick with the Gin, it will be less painful

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I totally agree and believe that this falls at the feet of the coaches.

The pies came out breathing fire, even the average ones and the youngsters. We came out totally meek and timid, with a few exceptions.

Agreed. We came out worried about being the favourite. Be interesting to see what this furnace like week has done to galvanise team.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Prefer the sandgropers to go back to back tbh. Or get knocked in the final by Brisbane or GWS

Ooooh, that’s a bit sad.

I hope we come out and flog them. Then flog Richmond as absolute underdogs.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
A full year younger.

People can pretend age doesn't matter. But it does. It catches everyone eventually, without exceptions.

His season has been very good verging on great. 33 goals as a small forward for Ablett now is an incredible return. But he clearly had lost a yard this season and was clever enough some of the time to not get caught out. But there was nowhere to hide Friday night.

Might be wrong, hope I'm wrong. But to ignore the physical reality with Ablett, Selwood (who if anything looks worse), and Taylor is just hopelessly naive.

Suspect two of three will retire at seasons end, as early as Monday but be interesting to see if there is life in the old dogs yet.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
About 40k I think. Even if it was over 50 I don't think it would matter re finals.
They even think Docklands is too small too small to play finals now.
Only way we get home finals is if thinking completely changes away from crowd numbers.

Yep you are correct Spaz.

The issue is the trust felt they needed another 12mill to get the max capacity seated out of design. My understanding is they’ve secured an extra 5, probably the Costa’s again and have reduced max capacity down to somewhere between 40-43k. All systems are go. It was never 50. It would empty most weeks if that happens.

Last edited:

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Where is the McClelland trophy? Our great achievement of finishing top must be celebrated! Little wonder we flopped in the QF cat fans still gloating over the mcllelland trophy!

No one was gloating. I thought we were stressed and it showed. Reminded me of 1989. Bombers got us first up. Destroyed ‘em two weeks later.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
But Pies are the second best team in it. If we can't beat them, it's irrelevant.

VDubs, chin up, mate. We can do this. Adel ‘97, pies ‘18, cats ‘89.

We are getter big flayed in the media. Flayed by idiots like me on the Cats therapy bf hotline.

Thanks to Munich et al., I feel much better.

People talked about Geelong being a great club now people talk about Geelong as the laughing stock of the AFL....we are now a joke
Handbaggers again? 😰

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I’d say the harshest review should be amongst the players. They’ve gotta ask themselves how much they want it. Clearly some of them don’t want it enough. Dropping marks, spoiling each other, not covering dangerous free players, scrubbing kicks. And with not that much input from the Crowd (nothing like Richmond and Adelaide in 2017) and really not that much pressure either.

This game is 100% mental. Most of our players need to have a good hard look at themselves and harden up and just execute like they are professionals.

The coach, the MC, the ground size, the mean crowd, the game style and the weather have all been used as excuses...

The truth? The players need to take full responsibility.

The players actually are playing. They have the opportunity to do something. When the siren sounds and play starts - everything else has very little impact on the result and is white noise.

Agree with that totally. But cs undermined the group and they were jumpy, lacking composure. CS needed to show confidence in Rhys. That confidence permeates when Rhys gets a few tap outs and wins a ball or two and it all builds from there. Paddy’s goals against syd two years ago did that. But Paddy stays in the middle ping to the goal square where Sav can mark and not miss.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

He does control the AFL. He went with the AFL to the US to review equalisation. Got to be kidding me.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree with that totally. But cs undermined the group and they were jumpy, lacking composure. CS needed to show confidence in Rhys. That confidence permeates when Rhys gets a few tap outs and wins a ball or two and it all builds from there. Paddy’s goals against syd two years ago did that. But Paddy stays in the middle ping to the goal square where Sav can mark and not miss.

I agree mate. Stanley is a big strong man, he would have at the very least smashed a few of their mids in tackles and be less easy to shift when in the ruck.

The Cats were too confident and almost blasé. Danger and the Coach seemed to personify this to me. For me, the attitude required to win finals is NOT confidence. It is desperation. Well, now they have fear and desperation as a motivator.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Was that reviewed decision to overturn that goal to a behind correct? I only saw one angle. They made a very quick decision on that.

He does control the AFL. He went with the AFL to the US to review equalisation. Got to be kidding me.

🤬🤬🤬

Colin Carter wrote the strategic AFL manifesto known simply as the ‘Blue Book’, more than 20 years ago. I’m sure I’ll be corrected if wrong, wasn’t Carter involved with the equalisation strategy?

Demetriou invited Club Presidents: Andrew Newbold, Eddie McGuire, Gary March + Peter Gordon.

Back