Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but Colin was not at Geelong at that but happy to stand corrected nor was he president of one club. Peter Gordon as well. Well that makes sense. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The US Trip was when?

Carter was at the AFL for 20 years. I thought he was involved in the introduction of the equalisation strategy?

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I hate to raise this, but post match one of our most senior men Harry Taylor refused to stand in the line for Pendles carry off. He deferred by standing behind it and the rest of his team and then he refused to clap him. It was a horrid lack of sportsmanship and reeked of the attitude of his coach of the last 10 years. Just an observation...

This also coming from the bloke who ran around like a turkey after winning the QF 3 years earlier when Isaac Smith missed post siren. The wheel turn the full circle!! Time to join your coach in the pastoring paddocks, Harry.

You're a loser, mate!

Harry Taylor is a champion of this club. He has held this defence together, and been the constant in the backline when Harley and Scarlett transitioned out, and Blicavs, Henry etc tansitioned in. He has been the building block which has supported two generations of Geelong defences.

He is also loyal (pity I can't say the same about you). He had a massive offer from WCE a few years ago, and his family are from there. His partner is from there.

When I heard about the deal, I thought that Harry would go for sure, because the deal was great (more money, longer years) and his wife wanted to move back with his family.

Guess what he did? He got his family on board, and decided to re-sign with Geelong for another 5 years, meaning that he would play the rest of his career at the Cats. He will be a one-club player (Tim Kelly could learn a thing or two about loyalty and getting the missus onside to let him stay).

Maybe Harry "ran around like a turkey after winning the 2016 QF" BECAUSE WE WON A DAMN QUALIFYING FINAL! We hadn't won one since 2011, and haven't won one since. I would be celebrating too, and I would be surprised if you, as a so-called Geelong supporter, don't celebrate that.

Maybe Harry "celebrated like a trukey" for winning a final because he bleeds for this club, and it bothers you because you don't.

Calling Harry Taylor a "turkey". You're the turkey!

If you want to criticise Harry, criticise his inaccuracy when played up forward, or his decision-making during games, or running into Touhy the other night. But don't call a loyal servant of the club a "turkey".

Who cares about Pendlebury? He doesn't play for us. I only care about Geelong players. I care about how our players perform on the field, not whether they clap off someone from another club. Would you be as angry if someone from another club didn't clap off Harry? The fact that you call him a "turkey" tells me that you wouldn't care. You are just a hater.

Do you something else Harry has? More talent in his little finger than you have in your whole body, so when you can play AFL footy, then you can clap off someone else's champion. Until then, pull your head in and shut up. Play the ball and not the man. Criticise his performance, but don't disrespectfully piss on his legacy and start name-calling him.

Last edited:

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd love if someone could answer why we play slow, long, down the line footy.
You know why. The aim is to protect our defence and to take territory. We can march the ball up slowly down the wing and not be burnt by turnovers as the defence is set up. It also relies on three things. Contested marking by players (not so good recently). Switching play by Duncan or Stewart (not so good recently as they are being targeted as play makers). Winning clearances from boundary thrown in stoppages. We’re not bad at this.

maxy87

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
it
I agree, they are just about Geelong's largest private employer, and proudly remain in North Geelong after Target and that fool Guy Russo elected to spend multi millions building a whiz-bang new HQ in expensive Williams Landing for the reason that 'They want to have a broader range of staff' than their perfectly good North Geelong office. They are a huge enterprise, with a footprint all over the world. It's more logical than having Gucci, Versace or even Levi's as our sponsor.

But agree with most of your other points. But i do reckon Gazza has one shot left, he won't want to go out limply if this is his last season.
It really was intended to be a tongue in cheek bullet point I slipped into the list, but I will expand on it nonetheless.
What you’ve mentioned is all well and good. It just seems weird that an elite sporting organisation would be kitted out in a budget brand that doesn’t have much presence at all in athletic apparel. Not a major issue though

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong champion Patrick Dangerfield has jumped to the defence of coach Chris Scott ahead of a decisive semi-final meeting with West Coast on Friday night.
Scott, who has coached Geelong to nine finals losses in their 12 appearances since the 2011 premiership, has been criticised for making a late decision to drop ruckman Rhys Stanley before Friday's 10-point loss to Collingwood, but Dangerfield said the criticism was unfair.
Geelong champion Patrick Dangerfield.

"It's funny. I think when we win, it's how well the players have played and when we lose, it's Chris' fault," Dangerfield said.
"He's led us incredibly well over the last couple of days. He's back on the job, as we all are, but the theme for me is pretty clear. It's a common theme throughout this year."

Dangerfield, who was clearly Geelong's best on Friday night with 32 disposals, seven clearances and a goal, said Stanley's omission wasn't the reason his side was beaten by the Magpies, instead laying the blame on the midfield's poor stoppage structure and disposal going forward

frggr

May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
<cont>

It's up to us as midfielders to make sure the service that we get and the quality we get from those clearances is up to standard," he said.
"The area we let ourselves down with around the ball was scores from stoppages. That wasn't Brodie Grundy kicking goals, that was the balance we had around the stoppage."
He added that the Cats were focused on starting better against the Eagles, admitting poor first terms in finals were becoming a worrying trend.

"There's no point shying away from that because that is the reality," he said.
"It's a different team from past seasons but the pattern is the same because the starts have been the same, so we've got to make sure we find a way to play the brand of footy we know we're capable of and take risks and play with a bit of flair that doesn't take four goals from the opposition to get you into that mood....

There's more over at:

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong champion Patrick Dangerfield has jumped to the defence of coach Chris Scott ahead of a decisive semi-final meeting with West Coast on Friday night.
Scott, who has coached Geelong to nine finals losses in their 12 appearances since the 2011 premiership, has been criticised for making a late decision to drop ruckman Rhys Stanley before Friday's 10-point loss to Collingwood, but Dangerfield said the criticism was unfair.
Geelong champion Patrick Dangerfield.

"It's funny. I think when we win, it's how well the players have played and when we lose, it's Chris' fault," Dangerfield said.
"He's led us incredibly well over the last couple of days. He's back on the job, as we all are, but the theme for me is pretty clear. It's a common theme throughout this year."

Dangerfield, who was clearly Geelong's best on Friday night with 32 disposals, seven clearances and a goal, said Stanley's omission wasn't the reason his side was beaten by the Magpies, instead laying the blame on the midfield's poor stoppage structure and disposal going forward
He would have a point if it just the one final loss, this has been years in the making with many different team set ups

There is only one common denominator in all of these pathetic final losses

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
I absolutely knew that weather excuse was fairy tale BS on Stanley. Sucked in Jane Bunn meme.

Fair enough if you want to fool the pies, and are prepared to come off second best.

Google Rhys Stanley,. channel 7 won't allow the link.

PS. I'm paid to know a liar when I see one at a press conference.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
<cont>

It's up to us as midfielders to make sure the service that we get and the quality we get from those clearances is up to standard," he said.
"The area we let ourselves down with around the ball was scores from stoppages. That wasn't Brodie Grundy kicking goals, that was the balance we had around the stoppage."
He added that the Cats were focused on starting better against the Eagles, admitting poor first terms in finals were becoming a worrying trend.

"There's no point shying away from that because that is the reality," he said.
"It's a different team from past seasons but the pattern is the same because the starts have been the same, so we've got to make sure we find a way to play the brand of footy we know we're capable of and take risks and play with a bit of flair that doesn't take four goals from the opposition to get you into that mood....

There's more over at:

"I think the key for us is just making sure we've got targets ahead of the footy.

"We didn't work as well as a unit and when the defence is set up well down the line, you don't want to move the ball quickly because they're already set. We don't move it slowly on purpose.

"It's the team collective around getting better shape within the contest so we can move it quickly when it’s appropriate to do so.”

It’s nice to actually hear this being said. I subscribe to this too.

frggr

May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
I absolutely knew that weather excuse was fairy tale BS on Stanley. Sucked in Jane Bunn meme.

Fair enough if you want to fool the pies, and are prepared to come off second best.

Google Rhys Stanley,. channel 7 won't allow the link.

PS. I'm paid to know a liar when I see one at a press conference.
Bloody hell:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Play it Sam

Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
So when was that session? The long range forecast predicted rain, so they could grab that reasoning.
Absolute hogwash Stanley can't play in the rain, or too many talls - just wanting as many defenders as possible.
Would have been Thursday wouldn't it?

That would also suggest that there was more involvement from the match committee in that decision, especially Knights as midfield coach because you would think that Blicavs trained with the midfielders during the session then

Play it Sam

Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
Would have been Thursday wouldn't it?

That would also suggest that there was more involvement from the match committee in that decision, especially Knights as midfield coach because you would think that Blicavs trained with the midfielders during the session then

Exactly. That's what I said earlier, they had to have planning around it for the set field and game plans.
Last minute,. pfft my great Aunt Fanny.

How do all those perplexed posters feel, pointing out the weather forecast had changed, and why didn't the Club know?

Don’t take it so personally. They didn’t ‘lie’ to the supporters. They tried to trick the opposition to make it difficult for them to plan for. Didn’t work. Wasn’t the reason we lost.
The “lying” reaction has to be my favourite post loss melt so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back