Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Finally quelled the nausea enough to watch Scott's presser.
Basically, on slow ball movement says it got us to the top and ITS TOO LATE to change now. Won't be changing.

On Stanley: conveniently pulled in the 6 or 7 others who assisted the decision
(hopefully they might load the BOM on to their collective mobiles now)

Did like how his eyes turned black with Tom Browne's baiting about home finals
-my thoughts have been made clear, about time our Club stood up for itself
- Not going to say anymore for you to beat it up. Haha.

Time to channel that aggression into your players Scotty.
That is interesting because for the first half of the season we played like the 07 tea,- as a team, running and passing the ball and playing for one another. Could suggest that he hasn't got a clue.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
The club trotts out Dangerfield to deflect the heat off Scott.
Wish they'd own their errors instead of inventing ways they can cover each other.

Anyone would think that Danger was the captain the amount of times he talks to the media in defense of his coach/teammates!!!!

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Confirming what we all saw, that Geelong seemed to be outplayed but actually had the more convincing totality of chances. Expected score Geelong 73 vs Collingwood 58. Geez, just imagine if they actually played well AND learned to kick for goal.

That's very interesting - where do you find those stats and how are they measured?

That's very interesting - where do you find those stats and how are they measured?
They publish them in the Herald Sun after each game.

Basically they assess every shot at goal every player takes and give it an “expected score”. So from outside 50m on the run you might score one in ten goals so that is worth 0.6. A set shot in the goalsquare might be worth 5.9. They then compare that to what you actually scored. It’s the best way we have of assessing accuracy as it takes into account the difficulty of the chances created.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
They publish them in the Herald Sun after each game.

Basically they assess every shot at goal every player takes and give it an “expected score”. So from outside 50m on the run you might score one in ten goals so that is worth 0.6. A set shot in the goalsquare might be worth 5.9. They then compare that to what you actually scored. It’s the best way we have of assessing accuracy as it takes into account the difficulty of the chances created.

Nice. So if we'd taken our chances we'd have won by a couple of goals.

Optimism for Friday rising.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This week it was just On The Couch - not sure where the actual source comes from. I'm no expert but I think it's simply from collating the probabilities of goals and behinds being generated from each scoring shot. More that than rating things like inside 50s, quality of entries etc - really just assessing what the expected conversion from the shots on goal. Somebody can correct me on this?

Edit: only just read the subsequent replies to this - whoopsie.

Should ask for a trade. Imagine going to a club that has had a horrendous run with rucks and they bring you in, only to drop you in a big match. Staggering.

I’m ashamed to say, perhaps not ashamed, more embarrassed to say I’ve not been much of a Stanley supporter. I thought he was good in Rd1. Treatment of Stanley is poor. Plays a few good games, has one bad one + is dropped.

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
Geelong Addy reveals Geelong supporters’ reaction to the game.

“Fed up Cats fans vent after loss to Magpies
It’s fair to say Geelong fans were more than a little upset with the Cats’ showing against the Magpies on Friday night. Find out what they had to say in letters and texts sent to the Addy.”

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...s/news-story/0cc88feb561e3a6998da20a8e204b746

That scumbag rag is the worst for paywall Kitty. Probably same as BF comments? Anything funny?

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

Thought everyone might like to listen to this.

Jimmy Bartel makes some astute points and he is also quite defensive of the Cats performance.

The reason I think it’s a valid point is that Jimmy isn’t one to always take the Cats side. He’s been scathing in the past.

He repeatedly mentions that the ruck situation was not the reason that the cats lost and neither was the game location. He discusses how our slow boundary play created defensive holes in our midfield that allowed rebound attacks from the Pies.

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
Eddie thanking gill for the Home final

98AC5B79-D987-4786-B805-A8DB93EFE25A.jpeg

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
He would have a point if it just the one final loss, this has been years in the making with many different team set ups

There is only one common denominator in all of these pathetic final losses

Except that, I subscribe to the idea that if you are 100% responsible for the losses, you should be held 100% responsible for the wins too.

So you can't put everything on CS when we lose, and nothing on the players, and then give players all the credit for wins, and none to the coach.

Both parties were ordinary Friday night. CS did coach poorly, and needs to be held account for that, but he can't be held responsible for Hawkins or Rohan missing shots for goal from 2m out.

Much of it is skill error, and it is on the players to demonstrate that skill. They are the ones with the massive contracts.

You should ask questions of the coach, but also ask questions of why are we paying Tom Hawkins to go three weeks without kicking a goal. The players need to wear some of this.

Wins and losses are on the coach AND the players. They are together in success and defeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
He would have a point if it just the one final loss, this has been years in the making with many different team set ups

There is only one common denominator in all of these pathetic final losses

Except that, I subscribe to the idea that if you are 100% responsible for the losses, you should be held 100% responsible for the wins too.

So you can't put everything on CS when we lose, and nothing on the players, and then give players all the credit for wins, and none to the coach.

Both parties were ordinary Friday night. CS did coach poorly, and needs to be held account for that, but he can't be held responsible for Hawkins or Rohan missing shots for goal from 2m out.

Much of it is skill error, and it is on the players to demonstrate that skill. They are the ones with the massive contracts.

You should ask questions of the coach, but also ask questions of why are we paying Tom Hawkins to go three weeks without kicking a goal. The players need to wear some of this.

Wins and losses are on the coach AND the players. They are together in success and defeat.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Confirming what we all saw, that Geelong seemed to be outplayed but actually had the more convincing totality of chances. Expected score Geelong 73 vs Collingwood 58. Geez, just imagine if they actually played well AND learned to kick for goal.

Thats does not make it more soothing ..in fact its just an example of a waste of an important game.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

NB> As the AFL's rubbish new match centre is now permanent, centre clearances will not appear in this post as they are no longer accessible for free as Champion Data have now gleefully reclaimed them as well several other previously free key ones (kicking efficiency).

Overall Summary - 19 Bounces

J.Selwood 17 (9i, 8w)
Dangerfield 17 (1w)
Menegola 15 (11w, 4i)
Kelly 12
Narkle 11 (3w)
Duncan 8 (7w, 1i)
Parfitt 7 (5w, 2i)
Ablett 4
Dahlhaus 2 wing
Atkins 2 (1i, 1w)

Rucks:
Blicavs 12
Ratugolea 7

Q1 - 6

J.Selwood 5 (4w, 1i)
Duncan 5 wing
Menegola 5 (1w)
Narkle 5 (1w)
Dangerfield 4 (1w)
Kelly 4
Parfitt 1
Ablett 1

Blicavs 4
Ratugolea 2

Q2 - 6

J.Selwood 6 (4i, 2w)
Dangerfield 6
Menegola 5 wing
Kelly 3
Narkle 3
Duncan 3 (2w, 1i)
Dahlhaus 2 wing
Parfitt 1
Ablett 1

Blicavs 4
Ratugolea 2

Q3 - 4

Dangerfield 4
J.Selwood 3 (2w, 1i)
Kelly 3
Menegola 3 wing
Parfitt 2 wing
Narkle 2
Atkins 2 (1i, 1w)
Ablett 1

Ratugolea 2
Blicavs 2

Q4 - 3

J.Selwood 3
Dangerfield 3
Parfitt 3 wing
Kelly 2
Menegola 2 wing
Narkle 1 wing
Ablett 1

Blicavs 2
Ratugolea 1

Notes:
- Most starts for Dahlhaus in analysed games since Rd 2

Jan 27, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting to note that CFC and GFC are the two grownups in the room despite their traditional rivalry and current bids for the 2019 flag. The scratch game, giving players who may be in contention for their respective clubs' next final game, was somewhat on the down low but also mutually beneficial to both Pies and Cats. By the bye, the Cats won handily. Good luck, hope you beat the crap out of the Weagles.

I hope every Geelong fan & member who got the following email/survey from the AFL asking about last week's game, gives very honest feedback and let's them know the bs around scheduling etc

85CB3BBA-06B9-40A9-95BA-803603A32547.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back