Review QF = Geelong 78-72 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't so much see him as a weakness in our structure. Rather, I think our structure lacks a player suited to negating the giants of the competition, and in this case, a player to oppose a mobile and roaming tall forward. I fully expected Maynard would get the job despite giving height away to Cameron. I see this match up as one of several questionable coaching decisions, the others being the move of Moore forward, the lack of game time given to Cox and the non-use of our rucks as forward targets.

We were highly competitive and very unlucky to lose to the team that was regarded as the best in the competition. However, when we were 2 goals up late in the final quarter, I believed we were going to win. In retrospect, I am disappointed, not so much with the players, but with match ups and moves made and not made by the coach. Fly has done little wrong this year, but I don't see this as one of his better coaching performances.

Agree.

Howe is better used when he is freed up. My choice next time around would be Maynard. But I am used to Cameron destroying us. He is their best kicking the ball inside 50m and also their best forward. That’s what the big bucks should get you - genuine match winners.

Maynard going off with the blood rule also coincided with us conceding two quick goals relatively limply. He and Moore are the glue to our defensive structures.
The game turned on that moment.

How the hell can a “ professional “ umpire miss such a blatant non holding the ball call.
It depends what the umpires job is.

Seems to me they exist to influence the results when it suits.

The AFL have armed them with a suite of rules which are all open to interpretation specifically for that purpose.

As much as I hate to say it I think Murphy was the weak link out there. His intercept game wasn’t there and struggled to defend his man. If we had a proper full back then Moore goes to Cameron and Howe goes to Murphy’s role and we have a better chance to win.

The backline held Geelong to 11 goals. I understand your view but feel that overall Murph was like the rest of our defence, he held up.

If we're going to look at individual performances I think the 3 players who had the least impact on the day were Mihocek, Elliott, & Ginni i.e. the side's top goal scorers. Elliott and Checkers had ample opportunity at add at least 4 more goals to our total which would have had us comfortable winners.

I watched the replay yesterday, at one point in the 3rd we were 4.11 and could have comfortably been 7.8 if we converted our easy chances.

Last edited:
Agree.

Howe is better used when he is freed up. My choice next time around would be Maynard. But I am used to Cameron destroying us. He is their best kicking the ball inside 50m and also their best forward. That’s what the big bucks should get you - genuine match winners.

3 goals from Cameron, 11 in total. They didn't dominate. Cameron was the best forward on the ground but he didn't destroy us.

Elliott could have easily had 3. Don't get me started on Mihocek. :)

3 goals from Cameron, 11 in total. They didn't dominate. Cameron was the best forward on the ground but he didn't destroy us.

Elliott could have easily had 3. Don't get me started on Mihocek. :)
He is not the workhorse we once knew. :disrelieved:

!
horse stepping GIF by Digg

He is not the workhorse we once knew. :disrelieved:

!
horse stepping GIF by Digg

I hold Checkers in very high esteem. Having spoken to him once he comes across as the nicest guy.

Poor bloke is playing hampered by injury. He mustn't have been in a good space after Saturday.

Outstanding GIF!

I hold Checkers in very high esteem. Having spoken to him once he comes across as the nicest guy.

Poor bloke is playing hampered by injury. He mustn't have been in a good space after Saturday.

Outstanding GIF!
I'll now await the 'disrespect' backlash! (I couldn't find a suitable tent.) ;)
A fit Mihochek could have made the difference. If he can't chase or compete properly, his opponent also becomes a bit of a weapon. Taking him into another final in the same condition is not really fair on him, even if we are informed of the nature of the injury once the team exit the finals.

I agree with the things that been said about Moore playing forward and Cox on the bench made absolutely no sense. I don’t get the Cox 45% TOG. Just pure baffling.

When you combine that with the thought of in other games we have been close; we have not done anything that changed our structure.

I seriously can’t remember any game this year where we have changed our “structure”. We have been 24 points down and not changed our structure.

I understand trying to win the game, but you also have to play the odds.

The Geelong board saying the umpires were favoring us, I have to stop smoking pcp
Srsly f* them, they had a lot of their goals gifted by the umpires and were lucky to still be in it if we hadn't f* up sp many opportunities in front of goal. They're not ad great as they think they are. If it's not us then I think Sydney will knock them off

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Srsly f* them, they had a lot of their goals gifted by the umpires and were lucky to still be in it if we hadn't f* up sp many opportunities in front of goal. They're not ad great as they think they are. If it's not us then I think Sydney will knock them off

I'm not sure they will get past Melbourne in the prelim, how good would that be. To be honest, if they struggled against us, they won't beat Sydney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I appreciate the angst regarding umpiring decisions. Maybe they cost us but perhaps they didn't. The simple fact of the matter is that we should have been at least three goals up at halftime. If we'd taken the opportunities that we should have. Billy, Ash, Checkers to name three off the top of my head, we wouldn't be complaining about umpiring decisions.
I've watched the replay of the first quarter and while Adams was good, I'm not sure that he impacted centre-square contests that much, although there's no argument that he won plenty of contested ball. Maybe we can cover him to a degree.
If we beat Freo (and that's no guarantee) I'm pretty bullish about matching it with Sydney and getting a return bout against the Cats.
We are in this up to our eyeballs - just need to take the chances that we should.
Bring it on.

I appreciate the angst regarding umpiring decisions. Maybe they cost us but perhaps they didn't. The simple fact of the matter is that we should have been at least three goals up at halftime. If we'd taken the opportunities that we should have. Billy, Ash, Checkers to name three off the top of my head, we wouldn't be complaining about umpiring decisions.
I've watched the replay of the first quarter and while Adams was good, I'm not sure that he impacted centre-square contests that much, although there's no argument that he won plenty of contested ball. Maybe we can cover him to a degree.
If we beat Freo (and that's no guarantee) I'm pretty bullish about matching it with Sydney and getting a return bout against the Cats.
We are in this up to our eyeballs - just need to take the chances that we should.
Bring it on.

100%

Some of the umpiring decisions were ordinary but we lost this game through our forward line's inability to convert easy opportunities.

What happened to Ash Johnson in the final quarter? Listed as injured on the AFL site and I presume that's why Darcy Moore was swung forward?

100%

Some of the umpiring decisions were ordinary but we lost this game through our forward line's inability to convert easy opportunities.
This. Been saying it all year. This team needs to learn to take better advantage of their opportunities and holding on to our leads. I hope this is one of the messages fly sends to the group this week. Can't blame the umpires for everything, we f* it up too. Good thing is we have another chance to fix it.

What happened to Ash Johnson in the final quarter? Listed as injured on the AFL site and I presume that's why Darcy Moore was swung forward?

Corkie, apparently. He looked very sore coming off at the ground.

I wonder why Coxy didn't get more game time? Read somewhere that he usually averages 60% plus, but was less than 50% on Saturday.
He would've at least been a logical replacement in the forward line when Ash left the ground, allowing Darcy to stay down back..
Yet, he sat on the bench for the final minutes 🤔
PS Apologies Chrissiepies, I see that you've already raised this in recent posts. 👏 Well, at least you jnow I'm as perplexed as you are over the moves made (or not made) in the last minutes. 😉

Last edited:
You know what guys. I think I am done.
Don't get me wrong the players tried hard and played a great game. This isn't because we lost.

But the umpiring in this sport is the worst it's ever been. I used to live and breathe AFL and Collingwood. But after 2018 when they stopped paying frees in the grand final and we lost I was hurting so bad I took a step back.

The umpiring, the constant rule changes, the inconsistency, the change of interpretation because it's finals or because it's a close game. It's killed the sport for me.

I just cannot get emotionally invested anymore because every contest it's a roulette wheel to see if it's a free or not.

I turned the game off when we were still in front when they didn't pay about 5 holding the ball decisions in a row. It wasn't a "we are losing I am turning off" it was a "this is just ******* stupid I can't bring myself to watch" moment.

I just don't understand the game anymore. And I don't think anyone bloody does. Every time I bring it up I get stupid comments like "that's AFL the umpires are bad" or "you wouldn't want a game decided by that kind of free". Every year the umpiring and rule set gets worse and worse and we can't even complain.

Well it's officially killed the sport for me. After 2018 I abandoned footy media and watching other teams. I think I just can't watch it anymore. I don't know if I will watch next week. Might just check the scores occasionally and view highlights after the fact.

Sorry about the rant. I just am sick to death of the bad rules and governance of the game. Hope the pies do well for the rest of the year. Best of luck guys!

You make a fantastic point, actually many in fact.

That was the general consensus upon leaving the G Saturday night.

It's actually become a very unenjoyable experience with the deplorable display of umpiring.

Honestly, you would see a non decision and the check to see that not 1 but 2 umpires had perfect line of sight to make the call, but no, they swallow their fcukin whistle.

No doubt about it, we butchered half a dozen opportunities, but we were absolutely reamed by Brad Scott's merry men. Funny that his brother was coaching the opposition.

My strongest emotion is pride despite the heartbreaking end. I love our boys so much. I've never seen such passion and heart. We could do easily have knocked off the super team at full strength and cherry ripe in a pressure cooker contest.

It rivalled the 2007 effort.

But we are Collingwood and that means pain and heartache will always be lying in wait.

Totally agree.

The beauty of this heartbreaker is that we actually get the chance to dust ourselves off, and go again next week.

We are a genuine premiership hope, Saturday night will be hard work against a strong Fremantle side. If we play anywhere near the level of the Geelong game, then we will win and win well.

Agree.

I'd go with Bruzzy too. Howe is the wrong match up. When his opponent flies in a packs, Cameron stays down and torches you at ground level.

The Geelong board saying the umpires were favoring us, I have to stop smoking pcp
You can't be serious. I haven't been trying but off the top of my head I know we were screwed over three clear goals by poor decisions. The Ginnivan shove, the deliberate against a tackled Howe which led directly to a Hawkins goal and the no advantage call when AJ marked 15 m out. Not to mention the shocking non decision when Duncan was brought to ground in a tackle and then threw the ball along the ground with one hand. I know they streamed forward from that one too but don't recall the result.

Review QF = Geelong 78-72 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back