QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

First four quarters - Reserves:
Mt Gravatt 5 - 7 - 37 University 2 - 5 - 17

Second four quarters - Seniors:
Mt Gravatt 13 - 4 - 82 University 7 - 6 - 48
It was a very even first half - but Mt Gravatt claimed the ascendency in the third quarter. Even the final term was relatively even.

First four quarters - Reserves:
Mt Gravatt 5 - 7 - 37 University 2 - 5 - 17

Second four quarters - Seniors:
Mt Gravatt 13 - 4 - 82 University 7 - 6 - 48
It was a very even first half - but Mt Gravatt claimed the ascendency in the third quarter. Even the final term was relatively even.
Any on what kind of side Mt Gravatt put on the park? Not a bad result for Uni in my opinion if it was only one quarter that really threw them out

Sorry, Footyboy2020 - its a tough call for me to make. I didn't see Mt Gravatt play at all last year, so probably unfair to make comparisons. Given all the talk during the past six months, I reckon it is reasonable to expect it could be a challenging year for the Vultures.
(For that matter, I didn't see University play in '23 either - but I am working on an assumption that they are improving.)
Mt Gravatt had a dominant full forward (No.66) who kicked 4 of their first 5 goals. He was rested in the second half.
There was only one concerning injury for the game - and that involved a young ruck for Mt Gravatt who appeared to hurt his knee in the final quarter. Hopefully, it is not too serious, & he'll be right to go for Round 1.
Overall, they looked a very young team - quick with a spark around clearances. It is the kind of mix you would think that given a few years, they could meld into a competitive unit. However, given the aspirations of Coorparoo, you wonder whether they will be afforded such time to develop.

Look, not that anyone is greatly interested, but given that Mt Gravatt and University rarely play each other these days, out of curiosity, I looked back at their playing record in fixtures.
The two clubs consistently met from 1967 to 1993. The only gap was during 1982 to 1984 when University spent some time in SQAFA Second Division. The clashes included the QAFL Reserves Div B (1967, Uni's second team, & Mt Gravatt playing as Coorparoo 3), Metropolitan League (1968 & 1969), SQAFA/BAFL First Division (1970 to 1993, with the three year gap in the 80s).
Overall, they met on 69 occasions with Mt Gravatt triumphant 51 times and University 18. Mt Gravatt was a powerhouse during the 70s, so this discrepancy not too surprising. I will mention that the last time they met before Mt Gravatt's promotion to the QSFL, University won.
After that, they did not meet again until the NEAFL years, when from 2014 to 2016, the two clubs competed in the underpinning QAFL comp. During those three seasons, Mt Gravatt and University clashed six times, with the former successful each time.

Kings vs Springwood Grand final lock it in now.
I don’t think it’s a lock as anything can happen during the year but I do agree it is likely we will see a replay again this year of the grand final. This comp is always naturally close anyway so if you’re not on your game it is very easy to drop one as we have seen in the past.

Do agree. As history in this Div has shown. It only takes one or two injuries to key players and your season can turn upside down quickly.

on a side note with the weather outlook this weekend looking pretty ordinary. Are div1 games being livestreamed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know about livestreamed, but they definitely get recorded. You might find them on youtube a day or 2 after the game

Be most interested to see if the sunny coast teams have replaced what they've lost. Guess we're about to find out.

Do agree. As history in this Div has shown. It only takes one or two injuries to key players and your season can turn upside down quickly.

on a side note with the weather outlook this weekend looking pretty ordinary. Are div1 games being livestreamed?
My understanding is that it is still up to the individual clubs as to whether they wish to livestream their home fixtures. The 3rd party providing the filming service will charge the home team a couple hundred a game; can't recall any clubs doing this yet.

My predictions for round 1

Mayne over Hinterland by 34
Springwood over Moreton by 19
Beenleigh over Caloundra by 8
Coorparoo over UQ by 27
Good tipping.
Watched Mayne game yesterday. Was pretty good quality on a soft track.
Magin for hinterland will be a handful with enough supply. Kicked 5 set up another prob had no more than 8 possessions all day. He’s a class above. Was drafted by Essendon bk in the day so can play (like most of his family)
Mayne has picked up a couple of blokes. Brohm from TSL it looks like. He has a ripping left foot. They got jumped after half time hinterland looked like they were going to runaway with it and Mayne kicked bk with 4 goals to level it up at 3/4 time. They ran all over hinterland in Q4.
Good game reasonable crowd too

Good tipping.
Watched Mayne game yesterday. Was pretty good quality on a soft track.
Magin for hinterland will be a handful with enough supply. Kicked 5 set up another prob had no more than 8 possessions all day. He’s a class above. Was drafted by Essendon bk in the day so can play (like most of his family)
Mayne has picked up a couple of blokes. Brohm from TSL it looks like. He has a ripping left foot. They got jumped after half time hinterland looked like they were going to runaway with it and Mayne kicked bk with 4 goals to level it up at 3/4 time. They ran all over hinterland in Q4.
Good game reasonable crowd too
Magin will be a Very handy addition for hinterland after losing Mahon and Hill. Mayne will be there about again you would imagine. Wouldn’t have been happy with their finish to the season last year you would imagine although did have a few injuries to some key players to end the year. Judging by the results should be a good year once again though in this comp.

Would have to argue the upset of the round would be Beenleigh beating Caloundra. However Caloundra have lost a few and they also played at Beenleigh. Moreton Bay kept with the reigning premiers for most of the game but are just missing a few key cogs that can bridge that 5-6 goal difference. But this was also played at Moreton Bay. Not sure they’d get as close when they play Springwood away next time.

Round 2 will be a blockbuster with the grand final rematch. As well with both Moreton Bay and Caloundra playing each other, loser goes 0-2. And can Beenleigh handle the travel up to Hinterland. Mayne should have UQ covered at UQ.

Would have to argue the upset of the round would be Beenleigh beating Caloundra. However Caloundra have lost a few and they also played at Beenleigh. Moreton Bay kept with the reigning premiers for most of the game but are just missing a few key cogs that can bridge that 5-6 goal difference. But this was also played at Moreton Bay. Not sure they’d get as close when they play Springwood away next time.

Round 2 will be a blockbuster with the grand final rematch. As well with both Moreton Bay and Caloundra playing each other, loser goes 0-2. And can Beenleigh handle the travel up to Hinterland. Mayne should have UQ covered at UQ.
It probably is the upset of the round but arguably the only one, I wouldn’t even really call it an upset. I’m curious as to how Caloundra will go this year. Always been very reliant on their top half dozen players to help carry them but with the likes of Watson & Mason not playing this year I am curious to see how they will go.

Think it looks like the scoreboard suggests that the Moreton Springwood game was much closer than it should be. If they kick straight then it could be a whole lot bigger of a margin. Looks like at least 8-9 missing from the GF team as well for the pumas. Whilst no Giles or Nickalls would make it more difficult for the lions.

Round 2 definitely headlined by the GF rematch, one would think Coorparoo will be chomping at the bit to get back at the Pumas. Moreton and Caloundra will be a tight one my guess, will make it hard to reach finals starting 0-2. Hinterland are going to be very tough to beat at Home, tough road trip for Beenleigh. Wouldn’t go underestimating UQ. At home on a very unique ground that they play well could very well cause an upset over Mayne

Just watched Hinterland Mayne game on Youtube and the game was quite entertaining considering the heat and heavy ground conditions.
There were a lot of very tired bodies going into the 3/4 break and I felt the smaller bodied Maynes players ran the game out a bit better in the end.
A very tough roadtrip for all teams inn 2024.
I noticed Merdock kicked four on his return for Beenleigh. Good to see him returning and playing well?

Interesting round up ahead in Div 1.

The good ol grand final rematch between the kings and the Pumas. Have to sense that the Kings will be out for revenge after losing the grand final and the way that they ended up losing it as well.

Beenleigh to make a tough trip up the M1 to hinterland who pushed Mayne for a good portion of their game last week. Beenleigh with a good win over Caloundra as well so have a bit of form. Will be an interesting game.

Speaking of Caloundra, they host Moreton who pushed the reigning premiers for good portions of the game last well. Still unsure what to make of Caloundra with their large amount of outs from last season and the quality of their outs. Will be good to get a sense of where they’re at tomorrow.

Finally Mayne hosting the ever dangerous UQ, Mayne probably deserve to be the next challenger to the kings & Pumas based on a few handy pick ups and previous history, but as is the case with UQ they are always extremely hard to beat and if Mayne are not on their game could see UQ sneaking out of Enoggera with a win.

Mayne beat UQ by 67 points.

Coops got their revenge with a surprising 41 point win over Springwood.

Unsure of the Caloundra and Moreton Bay score.

And HOLY MOLY Hinterland beat Beenleigh 202 - 56 , a 146 point win!

Mayne beat UQ by 67 points.

Coops got their revenge with a surprising 41 point win over Springwood.

Unsure of the Caloundra and Moreton Bay score.

And HOLY MOLY Hinterland beat Beenleigh 202 - 56 , a 146 point win!
Very comprehensive win by Mayne, definitely think there is a gap between them and anyone below them and probably just behind Springwood and Coops at the moment.

Definitely a game that Coorparoo would’ve had circled the moment they saw the fixture come out. They look like they had a great intensity all day and the pumas just weren’t quite there for the day. Still think both teams though are ahead of the pack though and they’ll play each other plenty of times this year.

Jeez that’s a massive score put up by hinterland. Saw that Magin kicked 10 he is going to be an absolute handful for defenders in this comp. Bit worrisome for Beenleigh if they’re getting beaten by 150 points, not sure what it says about Caloundra then even if there is no score up at the moment and they got beaten by 5 goals to Beenleigh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back