QFA Div 1

YOULL DO ME

Senior List
Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
3 weeks out from the preseason cup what's everyone's way too early predictions for the ladder.

I've got
1. Maroochy
2. Cooparoo
3. Noosa
4. UQ
5. Springwood
6. Yeronga
7. Caloundra
8. Aspley
9. Mayne
10.Burleigh
I'd always say way too early qfa but at least you have had a crack.i agree with smy re mayne probably just because they were so dominant skilfully over that 3 year period and I can't forget it.tbh looks so even across the board however I think the reigning premiers will go from strength to strength have one of if not the best under 18 talent in the state that will be constantly filtering through senior ranks this year and beyond.cooparoo from all reports have recruited really well,Caloundra were outstanding last year and were right in contention at the pointy end so expect them to be thereabouts.springwood were only disappointing in the finals due to injury and uq are always a hard one to monitor and far tougher to play in brisbane.yeronga beat noosa in the fixture part of the year nearing finals,Burleigh a proud club representing the goldy in div 1 and my dark horse would be the hornets who I reckon will surprise a few.my mob Noosa will be a tad younger but I'm sure will be thereabouts when the whips are cracking.so much better than a 6 team comp as smy referred to from previous years and if I was going to stick my neck out I'd say the final five will be made up of the 3 sunny coast teams cooparoo and mayne with Aspley not far away.

Northside Nomad

Debutant
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I meant both to be fair. Can only improve from where they have been in on field performance.

4 completed QAFL seasons

72 matches

10 wins

% over 60 only once

Mix that with their facilities, and the bar for QAFL entry was set fairly low. UQ had 8 wins from 3 seasons, so pretty much tracked at the same rate. Questionable facilties also, and no junior base is what kills them

I think their junior base is fair to say the least. Over the same 4 year period I suggest more Sandgate junior pulled on an Aspley NEAFL junior than actual Aspley juniors.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Be really disappointing if there is strife at the Devils re playing numbers. Always been able to field 3rds in recent years so usually not a huge problem, quality (like all clubs) is often more the issue. I've always felt a well managed club, great facilities, good people around it. Hope they can get it together prior to season starting.

FAN THE MAN

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Do you know more than you are revealing Fan? Heard that Yeronga having a crisis meeting this week in regards Male Senior groups? Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Only that their senior side was made up of a bunch of snowflakes with a bad attitude. When the club recruited a coach with QAFL connections at multiple clubs, those snowflakes apparently expected him to bring a bunch of players with him. Spat the dummy when he didn't, and they all left.

Of course, this is all just hearsay, but reasonably reliable source. I don't know the coach and have never had anything to do with him, but Tommo above seems to rate him so its all a bit sad really. Hope they are smart enough to realise they have cultural problems and the coach gets a fair run at it over 3-4 seasons. Improving their junior base would be a good start.

rb1723

Rookie
Apr 17, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only that their senior side was made up of a bunch of snowflakes with a bad attitude. When the club recruited a coach with QAFL connections at multiple clubs, those snowflakes apparently expected him to bring a bunch of players with him. Spat the dummy when he didn't, and they all left.

I don't know who your source is, but I can tell you that they aren't a very good one.

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon

Of course, this is all just hearsay, but reasonably reliable source. I don't know the coach and have never had anything to do with him, but Tommo above seems to rate him so its all a bit sad really. Hope they are smart enough to realise they have cultural problems and the coach gets a fair run at it over 3-4 seasons. Improving their junior base would be a good start.
If all this is correct fan then imo it could be a good thing. Sounds like time for a cleanse anyway for the Devils. New coach needs to be able to come in with the full support of the board and run the show exactly how he wants to, time will tell whether his methods work or not. Those that left on the basis of what you said were never going to take the club forward. Its very difficult to get a group of good footballers but more importantly good characters who are not self absorbed, understand a team environment and how hard you need to work as a group to achieve success. Hard decisions need to be made if clubs have been mediocre for long periods and a plan in place to climb the ladder. I dont know the coach but i do know its very difficult to bring bulk players with you from a previous club because 1. Ethically i dont think its the best thing to do if your playing against that team and 2. Players dont just change clubs cause the coach is, they are usually entrenched and happy playing with their mates. Good luck to the Devils, the n ew cockroach and i hope they can turn out a competitive team.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bit of Friday night footy next week with Roos v Panthers at 7pm at Fish Rd - should be excellent for players in terms of conditions and keeping weekend free. Not sure why there isnt more of it early or late in the season tbh.

YOULL DO ME

Senior List
Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bit of Friday night footy next week with Roos v Panthers at 7pm at Fish Rd - should be excellent for players in terms of conditions and keeping weekend free. Not sure why there isnt more of it early or late in the season tbh.
I do agree with u smy however hard for clubs like ours with 3 teams (colts,2nds and seniors) to fit it all in Friday timewise.stand alone senior game great however only senior group get the benefit of freeing up weekend whilst volunteer support staff, supporters etc still turn up again Saturday.in saying that I'm a massive advocate of having a good Friday game at Noosa and whether it be v panthers or Roos be very interesting to see if it works.i really think it would up here.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I do agree with u smy however hard for clubs like ours with 3 teams (colts,2nds and seniors) to fit it all in Friday timewise.stand alone senior game great however only senior group get the benefit of freeing up weekend whilst volunteer support staff, supporters etc still turn up again Saturday.in saying that I'm a massive advocate of having a good Friday game at Noosa and whether it be v panthers or Roos be very interesting to see if it works.i really think it would up here.

Yep - very true YDM. Didnt think of it like that - great for a prac match though

DylanD3

Draftee
Aug 29, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

The way it's played in the Territory is games at 4pm, 6pm and 8pm. Only done because of the heat but it does work and I'd say it could work back in Queensland also.

YOULL DO ME

Senior List
Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
No practise game for Noosa this weekend as game against grange cancelled due to soaken ground.boys still had a lengthy training session on back oval and some competitive 9 a side stuff.no game next week then praccy game with all 3 grades v surfers the following week.be a bit light on for match practise come round one and often hard to know how u r going without playing quality opposition practise matches. Sure they will know pretty quickly with Springwood away round one.as mentioned in earlier posts tigers will be a much younger side in 2018 which is exciting and again should have plenty of reserve depth.

goalkicker11

All Australian
Feb 14, 2007
house
AFL Club
Essendon
No practise game for Noosa this weekend as game against grange cancelled due to soaken ground.boys still had a lengthy training session on back oval and some competitive 9 a side stuff.no game next week then praccy game with all 3 grades v surfers the following week.be a bit light on for match practise come round one and often hard to know how u r going without playing quality opposition practise matches. Sure they will know pretty quickly with Springwood away round one.as mentioned in earlier posts tigers will be a much younger side in 2018 which is exciting and again should have plenty of reserve depth.
Field was good at Maroochydore, should have come down for a game

Back