QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw burleigh today and although beaten by 8 goals they were damn competitive and had a Real crack. Just limited to how much class they had up fwd. (2 very good players in sandford and mcqueen mind u). Reckon they will win quite a few more and especially at home. Tough hit out at carter park today.

Saw burleigh today and although beaten by 8 goals they were damn competitive and had a Real crack. Just limited to how much class they had up fwd. (2 very good players in sandford and mcqueen mind u). Reckon they will win quite a few more and especially at home. Tough hit out at carter park today.
Yeah McQueen and Sanford are beauties smy pretty sure both from singlet where they played in last 3 senior flags.yeronga are in for a long year from what I saw yesterday or at least when they are on the road.i must say and hate being negative to our comp but the standard has dropped considerably.even our senior players are saying it.i mean noosa still remains undefeated in the ressies and has two over 50 year olds playing every game.our supporters really looking forward to the Caloundra game be a real test

Yeah McQueen and Sanford are beauties smy pretty sure both from singlet where they played in last 3 senior flags.yeronga are in for a long year from what I saw yesterday or at least when they are on the road.i must say and hate being negative to our comp but the standard has dropped considerably.even our senior players are saying it.i mean noosa still remains undefeated in the ressies and has two over 50 year olds playing every game.our supporters really looking forward to the Caloundra game be a real test

Yeah interesting comment. Hard to disagree from what I’ve seen this year. Not sure it will always be this case but it’s a far cry from PHC days.

Be a good hit out for both clubs next week I reckon.

And good to c u guys recruiting 50+ yr olds to play in your 2s... I didn’t get a call?

Sandford played last year. Was a rep player too.

Cheers bud. Hopefully c u on weekend.
Couldn’t get down to Caloundra yesterday due to family commitments however was very surprised by the margin would have thought it would be a lot closer than that.noosa do have a pretty strong list who are fit and healthy but obviously panthers had a dirty day

Blew out in last qrt unfortunately (2nd half of last qrt). Down to 2 interchange early in Q2 but more importantly our best player was one who wasn't coming back on. Pleasingly only outscored by 4 goals in 2nd half by a really mature, physical side. Played a good brand of footy which I'm sure they will continue to do. Recruited well and a fairly different group to last year imo with a sprinkle of the better ones remaining. Not selecting on birth certificates which is good to see too. Hopefully better next time we play in the night game.

Last edited:
Blew out in last qrt unfortunately (2nd half of last qrt). Down to 2 interchange early in Q2 but more importantly our best player was one who wasn't coming back on. Pleasingly only outscored by Noosa really mature, physical side. Played a good brand of footy which I'm sure they will continue to do. Recruited well and a fairly different group to last year imo with a sprinkle of the better ones remaining. Not selecting on birth certificates which is good to see too. Hopefully better next time we play in the night game.
Yes you are spot on there smy.still a pretty experienced side similar to last year with a fair few new faces.defence has again been solid but will b tested ofcourse later on by a scholard,Norman and bevan mix.no massive standouts up forward although delbridge very consistent kicking multiple goals and our onballers chip in weekly too.our ruckman young connor Mcdonald has improved in leaps and bounds and we definitely need a back up for him.maccy Johnston in the Colts looks like he will be one that could and for years to come.infact speaking of colts panthers are flying along and sure your coach would have enjoyed beating Roos earlier on.mayne at mayne this week which is never easy,I think the atmosphere when u get there generally makes you sleepy

Yes you are spot on there smy.still a pretty experienced side similar to last year with a fair few new faces.defence has again been solid but will b tested ofcourse later on by a scholard,Norman and bevan mix.no massive standouts up forward although delbridge very consistent kicking multiple goals and our onballers chip in weekly too.our ruckman young connor Mcdonald has improved in leaps and bounds and we definitely need a back up for him.maccy Johnston in the Colts looks like he will be one that could and for years to come.infact speaking of colts panthers are flying along and sure your coach would have enjoyed beating Roos earlier on.mayne at mayne this week which is never easy,I think the atmosphere when u get there generally makes you sleepy

haha - it does ! especially if its a balmy day.. Yeah our colts are going along well. Coach doing a good job. Wasn't aware Bevo was going to have a kick but if he does then it certainly will make the Roos only stronger..

At the half way mark it seems obvious only 2 teams can win the flag and both those sides significantly better than the rest, in the vicinity of 10-12 goals. The rest seem to be capable of beating each other on their day. Caloundra would be very dissapointed with there effort yesty and if the GF was played at Springwood ide give them a chance as they seem hard to beat there. This is the toughest period of the yr when injuries take toll, the weather becomes cooler and players interest can wane. Those with depth, r winning and a positive environment for players to come to will really seperate themselves from the rest. Lets hope the brainstrust at headquarters, and i didnt realise there was so many of them at Yeronga! are devising some preliminary plans for the GF to be on the Sunny Coast.

Yes must say I’m really surprised at some of the margins lately.i mean springwood at home and with fries,king and hooper hitting the scoreboard can roll anyone which is what happened to panthers but gee I wouldn’t have thought by that much.even noosas 80 point win over mayne at mayne seems a blowout,it has been very tough to win down there in the past 5 years.as switching play stayed,top two sides seem to be a fair way clear of the rest at the half way mark but obviously a long way to go.

I think its safe to say Yeronga can start preparing for what Div2 is going to look like. Burleigh will cause troubles especially on their home deck in the back half and UQ just spanked the Devils basically outta this division. The Devils reserves have been stinking out the division and will go through the year without victory.

Looks to be another 2017 GF replay on current form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes must say I’m really surprised at some of the margins lately.i mean springwood at home and with fries,king and hooper hitting the scoreboard can roll anyone which is what happened to panthers but gee I wouldn’t have thought by that much.even noosas 80 point win over mayne at mayne seems a blowout,it has been very tough to win down there in the past 5 years.as switching play stayed,top two sides seem to be a fair way clear of the rest at the half way mark but obviously a long way to go.

hats off to Springwood and their playing group and coaches. Looked in all sorts preseason, forfeited a preseason game, no coach until late Feb I think. Obviously a really good core group of players and leaders and a committed off field group. They were outstanding yesterday on a beautiful day for footy. They had their best side in for the year but all the same, no way should Caloundra have lost by that margin if they had been half on their game. Saying this, Pumas attacking game is outstanding with multiple avenues to goal, a really good back half that attack from there and well coached.
As a day the Pumas were great hosts too - they had the aboriginal flag painted on the oval, a smoking ceremony, indig designed jumpers (courtesy of Rhan Hooper) and a designed ball. They really did a good job.

Bottom line is I think top 2 sides are no doubt ahead of the rest right now but like last year, positions 3-8 are up for grabs. Burleigh a lot better than position on ladder suggests imo.

I thought Yeronga wouldn't win a game in Seniros or Reserves. they shocked me when they beat Springwood, and good on them.

All downhill from there though, they are a very average footy side.

And this is way it should shape up.

Noosa and Maroochydore are operating on a different level to the rest of the competition. Templeton, Delbridge, Stack, McDonald, Boardman and Woods don’t land on your doorstep for free nor do Dzufer, Norman, Scholard or Ryan.

Do yourself a favour and watch the Sandgate v Mt Gravatt QAFL game from last weekend. A 6-0 team who I believe would struggle against these 2 teams..... Maroochydore are fantastic to watch when on song.

Credit to them for building teams that play footy the way they do, but I honestly believe we are watching park football teams who struggle come midseason with depth etc come up against potential QAFL powerhouses.

The gap isn’t that big and these 2 belong at QAFL level

At the half way mark it seems obvious only 2 teams can win the flag and both those sides significantly better than the rest, in the vicinity of 10-12 goals. The rest seem to be capable of beating each other on their day. Caloundra would be very dissapointed with there effort yesty and if the GF was played at Springwood ide give them a chance as they seem hard to beat there. This is the toughest period of the yr when injuries take toll, the weather becomes cooler and players interest can wane. Those with depth, r winning and a positive environment for players to come to will really seperate themselves from the rest. Lets hope the brainstrust at headquarters, and i didnt realise there was so many of them at Yeronga! are devising some preliminary plans for the GF to be on the Sunny Coast.

They would both be very competitive in QAFL, but unlikely to be finalists based on the bits of Div 1 footy I've seen. Not just about having the best list.
They both would b fine Thommo we have a big respect for u guys at magpies as I’m sure maroochy do it’s the support factor going into qafl not player wise that I know worries both clubs our home crowds are far better than that of qafl clubs and that is the issue.the aflq know that also.we r not going to go up to just be run of the mill and tbh that won’t happen when it does both maroochy and Noosa will be finalists and contenders when the time comes as mentioned iearlier posts we were right there when whips were cracking in pineapple hotel cup

They both would b fine Thommo we have a big respect for u guys at magpies as I’m sure maroochy do it’s the support factor going into qafl not player wise that I know worries both clubs our home crowds are far better than that of qafl clubs and that is the issue.the aflq know that also.we r not going to go up to just be run of the mill and tbh that won’t happen when it does both maroochy and Noosa will be finalists and contenders when the time comes as mentioned iearlier posts we were right there when whips were cracking in pineapple hotel cup

I'm talking about 2018 quality of footy only

I would expect that should one, or both join the QAFL they would make the appropriate changes to be competitive and play finals. I'd guess both have higher player wage bills than us and a few other QAFL clubs already.

May also retain more juniors who head down to academies and then wind up at Brisbane based QAFL and NEAFL clubs.

Understand the issue that if the Tigers or Roos (or both) join the QAFL, they straight away lose the derby with Caloundra. could also weaken Panthers as their better players seek to play higher level perhaps?

Possibly panther season pick up a few blokes who aren’t overly keen on playing qafl as well Thommo. Could work both ways?

Might surprise you but Noosa had 9 local kids from their juniors playing on weekend not including a guy like cubby isles who came as a 20yr old from vic.

Maroochy would have even more without going and looking at their list. Certainly Noosa recruit very well and have a good pool of money to do so from all reports. Not sure maroochy do to same degree. Normo, dzuf, scholard and Ryan all ex Caloundra juniors

Magpies QAFL Senior side that beat Grange on Saturday had 14 local juniors + 2 Darling Downs kids who came to us as juniors. So 16 club juniors, 4 'recruits' and 2 NEAFL guys.

Granted 2 other recruits in Adkins and Harwood weren't playing, but that's a good ratio of local kids.

Halfway through this is how I see the ladder finishing.

1. Maroochydore
2. Noosa
3. Cooparoo
4. Caloundra
5. Springwood
6. UQ
7. Aspley
8. Mayne
9. Burleigh
10. Yeronga

Top 4 for me are guaranteed with 5-8 to battle for the last spot. Thoughts?

And this is way it should shape up.

Noosa and Maroochydore are operating on a different level to the rest of the competition. Templeton, Delbridge, Stack, McDonald, Boardman and Woods don’t land on your doorstep for free nor do Dzufer, Norman, Scholard or Ryan.

Do yourself a favour and watch the Sandgate v Mt Gravatt QAFL game from last weekend. A 6-0 team who I believe would struggle against these 2 teams..... Maroochydore are fantastic to watch when on song.

Credit to them for building teams that play footy the way they do, but I honestly believe we are watching park football teams who struggle come midseason with depth etc come up against potential QAFL powerhouses.

The gap isn’t that big and these 2 belong at QAFL level
Woods is the fulltime footy manager on about 70k a year and i think youd be very surprised if you knew what the likes of Norman,dzufer and Ryan were on. Mdore payment system is excellent with contracted players and then decent incentives for those good enough. Noosa would be head and shoulders above all others. In 2015 when they recruited Moloney there spend would have been close to if not over 100k. The thing is they can continually sustain it, are, as well run a club going around and continually put out strong sides. Its no secret however the location is the major drawcard above all else!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back