QFA Div 1

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
smy1305, The next two weeks will be extraordinary for this Division. To my knowledge, locally, it is unprecedented with clubs to play each other in fixture games in consecutive weeks.
And all games will go a long way towards setting some clubs up for finals. Each team can treat the next two weeks like a Test series.
Based on ladder positions, you'd expect Noosa (1) will defeat UQ (9) in both games. Same for Maroochydore (2) over Bond Uni (10). It will strengthen their position at the top of the ladder. But then again, you never know...
Caloundra (7) and Burleigh (8) - two wins to either club will keep a mathematical chance of finals alive. But split the games, 1 each, and the rest of the year becomes very tough for both.
Mayne (5) and Coorparoo (4) represents a magnificent match-up as both teams stake their claim for a double chance at the end of the year.
And from a Devils' perspective, Yeronga (6) needs at least one victory over Springwood (3), perhaps two, to challenge the Top Five.
All up, it makes for an intriguing fortnight in Division One.
Bring on the Test Series!

Well you were right TS. It has definitely evened up over the past 2 weeks with the positions 3-7 up for grabs really. Bit hard to see either premier from last year missing out but who knows. Springwood bounced back from defeat vs yeronga and the. 3 north coast teams went undefeated with Caloundra nearly having an 8 point game vs bond by winning by so much.
Burleigh certainly aren't throwing game and UQ pushed the ladder leaders in Noosa on the weekend. Think away games will be tough to win vs anyone.

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Really good game of footy at Noosa on Satdy night. Caloundra had a real crack and certainly made Noosa earn the 4 points, just lack a couple of A graders to impose themselves, having said that throw Merrett in and Rudolph who is rumoured to be returning then the result could have been very different.
Panthers didn't make most of their opportunities in 1st qtr, had plenty of the footy and moved it very well at times but couldn't capiltalise insde frd 50. They had a stellar 2nd qtr, with the game played mostly in their half and hitting the front in the last few minutes, only to let Noosa kick last 3 of the qtr to get a handy break. Ryan Jeffery 4 Noosa was clutching everything that came his way and was easily the best frd on the ground. The ball handling by both sides in the greasy conditions was terrific. 2nd half more of the same with Panthers keeping themselves in it until midway through the last. Ross's set shot goal from inside the boundary line was a gem. Massive crowd in attendance, there wouldn't be a community club that consistently draws a bigger crowd than Noosa. Great night of community footy, both sides had a real crack and if Caloundra can sneak in the they may cause some headaches.
Anyone from Mayne able to shed some light on there loss on Saturday? Is father time catching up with a few of them, or injuries etc.
Seems Maroochydore getting there act together, Bevans kicked 20 in 3 games and Jason Ainsworth who played Aspley neafl last yr is returning to the club, adding a quality inside mid.
Cooparoo maybe just off the pace, but I do hear if Springwood have everyone available they will be very hard to beat.
All in all a strongly contested competition with a few sides with legitimate claims.

tigerhawk

Debutant
Apr 5, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really good game of footy at Noosa on Satdy night. Caloundra had a real crack and certainly made Noosa earn the 4 points, just lack a couple of A graders to impose themselves, having said that throw Merrett in and Rudolph who is rumoured to be returning then the result could have been very different.
Panthers didn't make most of their opportunities in 1st qtr, had plenty of the footy and moved it very well at times but couldn't capiltalise insde frd 50. They had a stellar 2nd qtr, with the game played mostly in their half and hitting the front in the last few minutes, only to let Noosa kick last 3 of the qtr to get a handy break. Ryan Jeffery 4 Noosa was clutching everything that came his way and was easily the best frd on the ground. The ball handling by both sides in the greasy conditions was terrific. 2nd half more of the same with Panthers keeping themselves in it until midway through the last. Ross's set shot goal from inside the boundary line was a gem. Massive crowd in attendance, there wouldn't be a community club that consistently draws a bigger crowd than Noosa. Great night of community footy, both sides had a real crack and if Caloundra can sneak in the they may cause some headaches.
Anyone from Mayne able to shed some light on there loss on Saturday? Is father time catching up with a few of them, or injuries etc.
Seems Maroochydore getting there act together, Bevans kicked 20 in 3 games and Jason Ainsworth who played Aspley neafl last yr is returning to the club, adding a quality inside mid.
Cooparoo maybe just off the pace, but I do hear if Springwood have everyone available they will be very hard to beat.
All in all a strongly contested competition with a few sides with legitimate claims.

Mayne had multiple chances early to go out to a big lead but squandered it and left the door open and once Yeronga got a roll on Mayne really had no answers and bar a couple of players didn't show much fight either which was the most disappointing aspect...Yeronga played good footy and will dust a couple of sides in the run home if they play like that consistently when they control possession moved the footy really well...I don't think the hunger has been there this year for the Mayne...Not much spark around the ground and look a bit battle weary to be honest but our Reserves are travelling pretty well they just don't seem to be able to make the step up in class when called on into the 1's it is a big jump in standard as we know...Realistically Mayne on current form won't make finals hope that isn't the case but the last two weeks we have looked very very ordinary...

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Must be hard tiger to come up year after year. Still think the finAlswill be very competitive this year and injuries will play a big part in it. Winning Way from home will be a big bonus too.

Bud63

MVP
May 7, 2015
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And Saturday night footy, was that successful? And do you think we will see more of it?
Interesting to see your thoughts on Springwood SP. With Maroochydore playing Mayne, Springwood and Noosa over the next 3 those results will give us a good insight into where those 4 teams are at.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Its hard one night footy - certainly tougher to see from sidelines I reckon and coaching as well. I didnt hear too many complaints from players re visibility so thats a positive. TBH there is something about playing under lights in any code. It encloses the atmosphere a bit more (somehow??) and although the ball is slipperier it didnt have a major affect on the game on Saturday night. Personally think it would be a good idea to have in the later stages of the year and finals time when the weather is warmer or at the very start of the year for same reasons.

Noosa did a very good job hosting (as always) and I'm sure they made some decent $$ (as always.. :) )

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
And Saturday night footy, was that successful? And do you think we will see more of it?
Interesting to see your thoughts on Springwood SP. With Maroochydore playing Mayne, Springwood and Noosa over the next 3 those results will give us a good insight into where those 4 teams are at.
I thought as a spectator it was great, I struggled at times to cleanly pick up what was happening on the other side but that could have been a xxxx haze! It was bloody cold by the second half and perhaps could have started at 6.30. SMY is right, the atmosphere seemed amplified and Noosa would have made a packet with a full house for their presidents lunch, but with a full time footy manager and a decent player payments biil, they need too!!

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah UQ will trouble some sides at their ground I reckon for the remainder of the season. Play that little ground well, sling shot out of their back half. Like u said came down to seconds in the end (although who knows if the mark/free may have been reversed again)
Like u boys said, game played in good spirits.

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
UQ AFC (My only true team)
Well done on the win, but not sure beating a side 1 game out of the 5 is a huge win!

I think for my boys they feel it was. I certainly think any win we can get between now and the end of the season will be big wins for us, especially after the QAFL years. Any win for us is a sign that they are improving and gelling as a team, similar to how we performed earlier in the year against Springwood. After a period of bleak results, its bloody good for em to get up. Hopefully it continues into future season as well

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Noosa emerge from the round as premiership favourites, have now beaten every side in it and on an 11 game winning streak. Strength is in their backline imo, if a side has good defensive frds they could cause them some trouble as they clear it often
Mayne back on track with another close win against Maroocyhdore, those 2 teams have established a healthy rivalry over last couple of years with the winning margin for either side usually under a few goals. No Norman still for Mdore or Bevan who averaging more than 6 per game. Caleb Brown who has been a long time standout in this comp sounds like sustained a serious injury?
Caloundras finals aspirations may have ended in the final seconds of their game, with 6 games left and 2 games out it will be very hard from here. I see no Rudolph on team sheet even though cleared during the week
Springwood from what I could see kicked 13 points before they scored a goal, unbelievable and obviously cost them the game! They got within 4 points in the last, but playing catch up all day takes its toll and Noosa steadied to pull away. Springwood the best offensive unit but the worry is they leak them at the other end.
Noosa v Mdore in 2 weeks will be a ripping contest and maybe a prelude to things to come. Maroochy were putrid in Rd 3 , but despite yesterdays loss, seem to be getting there game together with a couple of big ins to come. Great local footy.

tigerhawk

Debutant
Apr 5, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Noosa emerge from the round as premiership favourites, have now beaten every side in it and on an 11 game winning streak. Strength is in their backline imo, if a side has good defensive frds they could cause them some trouble as they clear it often
Mayne back on track with another close win against Maroocyhdore, those 2 teams have established a healthy rivalry over last couple of years with the winning margin for either side usually under a few goals. No Norman still for Mdore or Bevan who averaging more than 6 per game. Caleb Brown who has been a long time standout in this comp sounds like sustained a serious injury?
Caloundras finals aspirations may have ended in the final seconds of their game, with 6 games left and 2 games out it will be very hard from here. I see no Rudolph on team sheet even though cleared during the week
Springwood from what I could see kicked 13 points before they scored a goal, unbelievable and obviously cost them the game! They got within 4 points in the last, but playing catch up all day takes its toll and Noosa steadied to pull away. Springwood the best offensive unit but the worry is they leak them at the other end.
Noosa v Mdore in 2 weeks will be a ripping contest and maybe a prelude to things to come. Maroochy were putrid in Rd 3 , but despite yesterdays loss, seem to be getting there game together with a couple of big ins to come. Great local footy.
Yeah Browny out for a fair while if not the season...Big big loss for us best player in the comp in my opinion...

Punter17

Draftee
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

Went and watched the Mayne and M'dore game on sat. They defiantly have a good rivalry built amongst the 2 sides. M'dore looked out of it early and to the credit played better brand of footy in 2nd half to get them back in the game another 5 minutes would of been interesting. Maynes young kids didn't look out of place still. Word getting out of the Mayne camp was brown dislocated his hip?
2 late pick ups for M'dore with Ainsworth from Aspley back and a Ex Redlands both playing first game in 2s
Speaking to Danny craven after game, 5 walk Ins to come back for M'dore , Ainsworth, ( Redlands bloke) cadzow, Bevon, Norman

Denchy

Debutant
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Went and watched the Mayne and M'dore game on sat. They defiantly have a good rivalry built amongst the 2 sides. M'dore looked out of it early and to the credit played better brand of footy in 2nd half to get them back in the game another 5 minutes would of been interesting. Maynes young kids didn't look out of place still. Word getting out of the Mayne camp was brown dislocated his hip?
2 late pick ups for M'dore with Ainsworth from Aspley back and a Ex Redlands both playing first game in 2s
Speaking to Danny craven after game, 5 walk Ins to come back for M'dore , Ainsworth, ( Redlands bloke) cadzow, Bevon, Norman
Mayne will be dangerous in the finals.

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Locked them in Denchy??
I think any team that finishes top 5 in this very even comp will be dangerous and certainly capable of going all the way. Yeronga, currently 6th, if they make it, will trouble sides too don't worry about that. Caloundra are more than handy too and are still an outside chance of sneaking in, and UQ are playing some really good footy recently, although their finals chances are probably gone. Burleigh are no easy beats either and have already upset Coorparoo not that long ago. Interesting last 6 weeks ahead, one of the best comps I've ever been involved in, no easy games bar probably Bond but they have had a horror run with blokes unavailable.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think any team that finishes top 5 in this very even comp will be dangerous and certainly capable of going all the way. Yeronga, currently 6th, if they make it, will trouble sides too don't worry about that. Caloundra are more than handy too and are still an outside chance of sneaking in, and UQ are playing some really good footy recently, although their finals chances are probably gone. Burleigh are no easy beats either and have already upset Coorparoo not that long ago. Interesting last 6 weeks ahead, one of the best comps I've ever been involved in, no easy games bar probably Bond but they have had a horror run with blokes unavailable.

Agree Bunyip - not sure the footy is as good as the old PHC days especially among the top sides BUT it is a far more even comp than those days. Having promotion/relegation will only assist this. The good thing is that sides 6-9 could beat sides 1-5 on their day and this is not something that has been the case for many many years if ever in my experience.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Promotion relegation will have little impact on this comp, but this was always going to be the best and most competitive compeition under the new structure.

Bond will be relegated for the winner of Div 2, likely Aspley, Moreton or maybe Kenmore an outside show and that winner will go up to Div 1 and get spanked. The gap in standard is significant.

As there is no promotion/relegation to the QAFL, the winner Div 1 doesn't go up - and I think the best Div 1 sides would be more competitive with QAFL sides than Div 2 into Div 1. In fact, I reckon Sandgate would be no guarantee to play Div 1 finals!

Back