QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s not quite true. Kenmore opted not to go up after applying and realising they didn’t have the cattle.

Think it’s more about communication and when you pull that trigger

That’s not quite true. Kenmore opted not to go up after applying and realising they didn’t have the cattle.

Think it’s more about communication and when you pull that trigger
Did Kenmore actually play a season in the higher grade. If not that could have had a bearing on the decision.

So there isn’t a meeting on Thursday night Mac with all players and Committee?
I never said there was not a meeting happening around the club, I just said we are not going back to Friday night footy.

I’m on their side GA as you said lots of clubs been down this track before. I know Macca is a Wynnum person through and through and I hope they work out of the situation.

Again this is where points system has to be harder when players walk from one club to another and then onto another in 3 years.

In this case a lot of them are protected as they left Morningside, went to Wynnum and now going back up to MtGravatt but have screwed a club over.

I know it’s not just them as looks like the coach played a part and players following him or his sons.

If 2 or more ply leave a club to another club should the 3/4/5th players be hit with extra points?

Most clubs get in this situation due to player exodus or coach moving taking players with him.

Fair statement but for us there are a number of issues and admittedly some mistakes that we have made as a club. Player migration is an issue but i guess lots of clubs have to deal with a bit of that. Some players fall out with the coach, some players want to play in a more successful team instead of doing the tough yards in a building club. We should have been a bit more proactive at the end of last season and thats one of the mistakes we made.
Mate no issue for me with the coach or his boys. The Stewart family served Wynnum to the absolute best of their ability while they were with us but now we need to look forward.

We need to have a chat with AFLQ tomorrow and will see what happens from there but I don't think you need to be Einstein there.

Mac who is the conversation with now Barry Gibson has gone to Coorparoo.

Sorry to hear that Wynnum might have to drop back.

Who replaces them Bond Uni??

Feel as though if they drop back no one will replace them. Will leave the comp at 8 teams means no byes. Although I would like to see Bond Uni come up for some Gc representation. Would imagine bond would like to at some point head to the QAFL considering their facilities and the women being QAFLW would entice them to make that move up. See Coorparoo have officially put the announcement in of their intentions to go to QAFL. Fair play to them, and with Mt Gravatt not in the greatest situation by the looks of it could be sometime in the near future. Can’t imagine having 13-14 teams in QAFL though so imagine someone has to drop out.

I carnt remember but we're park ridge in that promotion relegation time.
The year after we won Div2 and weren’t ready for Div 1 we were left no alternative but to go back to Friday Night Footy against our wishes of staying in Div 2.

The next year Bond win Div 2 and stayed. Set our club back 5 years plus 2 years of Covid so has been a huge battle.

I feel for Wynnum and any Club for that matter that has to go through these periods.

We have come out other side now and with new facilities coming we will make up lost ground hopefully.

Think QAFL lot more compassionate now towards clubs but we certainly had none during our negotiations.

Pretty sure Mitch Simpson is competitions head now with Richie Lyons doing Barry’s job as head of football operations.Not good hearing that about the Vikings,they came up to Noosa and played us in a practise game earlier this year and were terrific company

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel as though if they drop back no one will replace them. Will leave the comp at 8 teams means no byes. Although I would like to see Bond Uni come up for some Gc representation. Would imagine bond would like to at some point head to the QAFL considering their facilities and the women being QAFLW would entice them to make that move up. See Coorparoo have officially put the announcement in of their intentions to go to QAFL. Fair play to them, and with Mt Gravatt not in the greatest situation by the looks of it could be sometime in the near future. Can’t imagine having 13-14 teams in QAFL though so imagine someone has to drop out.
No way known will QAFL have 13-14 teams in it.

Pretty sure Mitch Simpson is competitions head now with Richie Lyons doing Barry’s job as head of football operations.Not good hearing that about the Vikings,they came up to Noosa and played us in a practise game earlier this year and were terrific company
Metoric rise for Richie NB... :)

The year after we won Div2 and weren’t ready for Div 1 we were left no alternative but to go back to Friday Night Footy against our wishes of staying in Div 2.

The next year Bond win Div 2 and stayed. Set our club back 5 years plus 2 years of Covid so has been a huge battle.

I feel for Wynnum and any Club for that matter that has to go through these periods.

We have come out other side now and with new facilities coming we will make up lost ground hopefully.

Think QAFL lot more compassionate now towards clubs but we certainly had none during our negotiations.
I hear you mate we were in the same boat at one time.
Asked to drop back and told stay or it's Friday nite.
No negotiation at all and unless things have changed wynumm could be bashing thier heads against a wall.

Sorry mate, I have no idea about that, that's our president and the committee to deal with.

If we do drop back I think they will leave things as be as Hinterland comes up and makes it and even number of teams again.

I hear you mate we were in the same boat at one time.
Asked to drop back and told stay or it's Friday nite.
No negotiation at all and unless things have changed wynumm could be bashing thier heads against a wall.
Past precedents don’t always take effect, good to see the AFLQ management putting common sense to use and allowing clubs that hit a speed bump not totally bottoming out with flexibility to each situation

Past precedents don’t always take effect, good to see the AFLQ management putting common sense to use and allowing clubs that hit a speed bump not totally bottoming out with flexibility to each situation
Absolutely should be the case. If a club can regroup and still field two teams it should happen. Its a long hard way back if they make you go to one team.

Wynnum confirmed back to div2
Is a shame for them after only one year. Good thing only back to Div 2 though and not Friday night footy. Can’t imagine any teams coming into replace will keep it at 8 teams in the comp now. Any more news on anyone picking up some people?

Yes we are. Thanks to everyone for having us and especially to a couple of clubs that were really encouraging. I hope everyone has a good season this year.

Not much action in this forum!
Anyone keen to make some early season predictions?

Some clubs active with recruits on socials, some very quiet.

Looking forward to the season ahead.

A
Not much action in this forum!
Anyone keen to make some early season predictions?

Some clubs active with recruits on socials, some very quiet.

Looking forward to the season ahead.
Always does seem to be a very quiet comp forum this one, which is a shame considering it’s probably the most even comp across the board. I’ll take a quick stab at some predictions.

1- Coorparoo, are the reigning premiers so quite deservedly should be favourites especially considering that they look to have retained the majority of their list plus picking up a few here and there. Would imagine some of those guys will get a player point off them now for service possibly so could be even stronger.

2- Beenleigh, did well to make the Grand Final last year and when they still have Murdoch that will always make them a big threat. Losing Goode to QAFL will hurt their backline a bit but they’re still a young team and only going to continue getting better.

3- Springwood, think the pumas will bounce back after a disappointing year last year by their standards. Seem to have recruited some good fringe guys over from Redlands which will definitely help with their depth and they seem to still have some top end talent as well.

4- Moreton Bay, did extremely well in their first season in Div 1 showing they belong and were a kick away from a finals win so only expect them to continue to rise.

5- Mayne, could really interchange them and Moreton but looks as though they’ll get a full season out of Collings and Quin which will help their already very good midfield.

6- Caloundra, could be wrong but from what I have heard is that they have lost a few including some top end talent. Saw that Keleher has headed over to Maroochydore so that hurts their forward line, also heard that apparently Jacobsen has headed down to Vic so that is huge considering that he may have been one of the best players in this comp.

7- UQ, always there about UQ but never really see if they recruit anyone until you watch them play, but they’re always good for an upset or two.

8- Hinterland, think putting them at 8 is really hard considering I don’t think it’ll be by much but I have heard that Knight is out for the season with an ACL so that will hurt them big time, but jeez I think they will still do well in this comp and ruffle some feathers.

All in all it is February so always very hard to predict especially when you can’t see what what teams look like at trainings and who everyone has recruited/lost etc. but I do feel as if it will be another very tight comp once again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back