QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems as you read one game to go the right way. Was a cracking day both games close
Went to watch both games. Twos game was a cracker. Alex Hills deserving winners - but a great spectacle.

Mb in the ones just had a little too much class for the plucky Pine Rivers who battled well all day. Huge effort to go from cellar dwellers to nearly holding the cup. Well done to all teams on the day.

How do you think the likes of PR and And MB will be next year?
No doubt Flanders, Watson and Taylor will go back to Caloundra?

pretty laughable for Giles to play div 2 football For MB considering he was in the top 22 at Aspley NEAFL.

thoughts?

pretty laughable for Giles to play div 2 football For MB considering he was in the top 22 at Aspley NEAFL.

thoughts?
Giles returning to his former club where he played almost 100 games prior to going to Aspley 2 years ago, can’t see how you can have a problem with that. Might surprise you how many players played in Div 2 North In 2020 who we’re intending to play NEFL or VFL prior to COVID

thoughts?
Moreton bay should have a crack at div 1 . Got good juniors /facilities and colts.Back 2 back premiers and the ressies runners up . Why stay in the bottom division?

Probably still have nightmares of last time in that division - mind you makes sense from a facility/location point of view but they were in div 3 2yrs ago...

thoughts?

Yeah this is a pretty ordinary post - why is this any different to say Copeland or Moloney playing at NoosA or Bevan at maroochy or even Merrett at Caloundra. God on Giles. Like to think last Saturday was a real highlight of his life

Last edited:
Yeah this is a pretty ordinary post - why is this any different to say Copeland or Moloney playing at NoosA or Bevan at maroochy or even Merrett at Caloundra. God on Giles. Like to think last Saturday was a real highlight of his life
I’d say because all those blokes are at the end of their careers and Giles is 22/23

Still Me didn’t Webster reject Dawson from playing at Park Ridge?

Just a bit of a cop out to go back 2 divisions while you’re still in your prime

I’d say because all those blokes are at the end of their careers and Giles is 22/23

A cop out??? Bloody hell, its not like he is some sort of superstar at NEAFL level!! Went back to his junior club and gave them a years service. I would say a very good bloke for doing so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would Park Ridge say yes to one NEAFL player and no to another?

Giles is 25 and technically it was 3 divisions ;) He wasn't going to play at all this year after the NEAFL got scrapped. Soccio managed to talk him into coming back, but even then it was only going to be for the first half of the season as he had plans to head overseas. Obviously that didn't work out, and he ended up winning a flag with mates he's grown up playing with. Don't know how you could begrudge a bloke that.

Moreton bay should have a crack at div 1 . Got good juniors /facilities and colts.Back 2 back premiers and the ressies runners up . Why stay in the bottom division?

You missed one crucial thing from your list — dollars. It was probably masked a bit this year, with all the NEAFL guys dropping back and the flow on effect that had to lower leagues, but ordinarily the gulf between Div 1 and Div 2 North is enormous. Not a single one of the 22 who took the field for us Saturday was being paid to play. Some Div 1 clubs have player payment bills of $100K plus. We can't compete with that.

Why would Park Ridge say yes to one NEAFL player and no to another?

Giles is 25 and technically it was 3 divisions ;) He wasn't going to play at all this year after the NEAFL got scrapped. Soccio managed to talk him into coming back, but even then it was only going to be for the first half of the season as he had plans to head overseas. Obviously that didn't work out, and he ended up winning a flag with mates he's grown up playing with. Don't know how you could begrudge a bloke that.

You missed one crucial thing from your list — dollars. It was probably masked a bit this year, with all the NEAFL guys dropping back and the flow on effect that had to lower leagues, but ordinarily the gulf between Div 1 and Div 2 North is enormous. Not a single one of the 22 who took the field for us Saturday was being paid to play. Some Div 1 clubs have player payment bills of $100K plus. We can't compete with that.
You don’t pay people but you pay good best on money. What’s the difference? You get a afl trial game every year . Surly there’s enough coin to pay players if you need to. Not having a crack at the lions . I just think they should try and go up a level .

You don’t pay people but you pay good best on money. What’s the difference? You get a afl trial game every year . Surly there’s enough coin to pay players if you need to. Not having a crack at the lions . I just think they should try and go up a level .

Not the easiest place in the world to attract players to - its rugby league heartland that Caboolture/Morayfield area, many of the players travel to get to the ground from east of Bruce or from north Bris. I think having a crack in Div 2 for another year wouldnt be the worst thing in the world and especially if there are already 2 teams coming up. Word on this forum was that south comp was alot stronger - you would think this is where the promotion should come from really if anywhere. Like Danny said it was a compromised season and (hopefully) next year will provide a better indicator of the relative strengths of the various clubs.

Hard to tell off one game, but I’d say the two grand finalists would have been competitive in Div 2 south, and been in that 3-7 area of the ladder, so not sure the gap is that big.
Moreton seemed a relatively young side, so potentially they could build into div 1 over a 2-4 year period if that’s what they chose to do. I think them, with that facility, in that geographic area would be of great interest to AFLQ as a division 1 side.
It’s going to be interesting if the whispers are true and AFLQ force some of the more ‘southern’ clubs into Div 2 south to get Viccy Point and Kenmore into div 1....(that’s if Viccy Point/Redland don’t become QAFL or Redland get into the new ressies comp- I’m led to believe they won’t be accepted)

Gavin Grose, Stackleberg, Malone to name a few would of all played in grand finals if were not injured or made it. Sour grapes it seems to me. 11 under 21 in that Moreton side ... they seem to be building for a crack at higher division but still have a few boxes to tick

Redlands out so will go QAFL and can’t be Div 1.

Caboolture absolutely have facilities and a huge nursery around them to be Div 1. Should be rolling in coin with the their model.

Redlands out so will go QAFL and can’t be Div 1.

Caboolture absolutely have facilities and a huge nursery around them to be Div 1. Should be rolling in coin with the their model.

Think u will find they pay a motza to have that complex looked after with nowhere near the numbers that maroochy have. Not sure they are rolling in cash.

No indentures were paid all year
Think you will find aflq pay the motza
Uneducated comment.

We didn't pay a cent in awards this year. But even in a normal season, our awards money is pocket change compared to what some Div 1 clubs are paying.

The money we make on the AFL preseason game basically covers our rent for the year. But once Springfield is complete, I doubt we'll be getting many more of them.

We have less than 500 players across the whole club. We have a soccer club literally next door to us with three times that. A monster rugby league club up the road with probably even more. We don't have the ex-Vics around here that the Coasts or inner-city have. And that also means less sponsorship dollars available.

We are in the fortunate position at the moment of having a senior side full of quality players who are also mostly our own juniors. Some of them could probably earn some decent coin in higher grades, but they play for us because they love the club and their mates. Could this particular team be competitive at a higher level? Maybe in a year or two. But what happens when they're past it, and the next group coming through aren't quite the same calibre? There's no way we can compete with the recruiting power of the Div 1 heavyweights. There's a reason Copeland chose to play at Noosa in 2015, despite living basically around the corner from us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back