QFA Div 2 North

Wardy09

Senior List
Dec 9, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Christ mate - you said we weren't able to compare medical systems - I said both are considered world class. Settle down. Yeah population and borders are significantly different.
I said really can't compare....not weren't able to. You like to manipulate conversation, I am 'settled' in fact I am extremely calm. In your next post you request knowledge of evidence of not being able to debate, is that not we are doing? Remove emotive language and we only have debate 🙂

Gone Akers

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Now we can all agree that were not playing footy for a while.
Let's talk a possible format if we can get back around September.
I don't see getting back before then safely.
Play one round.
The first game has been played.
Only play seniors but with 26 on the teamsheet.
Just don't see a ressies comp viablie after long break.
A short final series of a top four.
Leaves a short break between seasons but better than nothing I suppose.
Any other scenarios I'm sure people have thought about it.
Mate . Ressies will be fine . We don’t train or warm up or down . Bulk tins is all we need!

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back to footy

Why not just play into late November? Saturday night games, Sunday 5:00ish even Friday nights or god forbid Thursday nights? Crazy times call for crazy solutions

We will now see how smart they are at AFLQ in working out some form of game plan for the future.

Surely now just talking about our competition they should be speaking with clubs on varied scenarios.

If we are up and running by early June(very doubtful) let’s have a fixture set up and see where it ends after speaking to clubs about ground availability.

Then maybe have a rolling scenario every 2 weeks from that date to whatever is an estimated cut off or end date.

I agree it is a very different and difficult climate that we now face so why not play until end of November.

And let’s look at Ressies as well if they will be impacted.

I think I will need all my energy to save my business in coming months so footy is really my outlet to keep me sane.

Goid luck to everyone in coming months, it is going to be very painful for lots of families economically.

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
I reckon they should be looking at a 12 game season. Play every one once, then the closest club twice — that way every one gets six home games.

Return matchups would be:

Gympie v Hinterland
Moreton Bay v Redcliffe
Pine Rivers v Kedron
Wynnum v Alex Hills
Jindalee v Moorooka
Park Ridge v Ipswich

Assuming a 6 June return (and the bloody Splendour bye remains :rolleyes:) the regular season would wrap up 22 August and the GF would be 19 September. But it also leaves plenty of wriggle room in the back end of the year should the return date be pushed back.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon they should be looking at a 12 game season. Play every one once, then the closest club twice — that way every one gets six home games.

Return matchups would be:

Gympie v Hinterland
Moreton Bay v Redcliffe
Pine Rivers v Kedron
Wynnum v Alex Hills
Jindalee v Moorooka
Park Ridge v Ipswich

Assuming a 6 June return (and the bloody Splendour bye remains :rolleyes:) the regular season would wrap up 22 August and the GF would be 19 September. But it also leaves plenty of wriggle room in the back end of the year should the return date be pushed back.

Judging on the climate at the moment I think the best case scenario at this stage would be some sort of return to training in August. Government has essentially conceded that even if we start to contain the virus by say May, they wont be taking any chances coming into winter where all the other hard-hit countries experienced the outbreak in the Winter season. Even then - August is pretty bloody late to be trying to table something together, I think its fairly safe to say at this stage footy at the community level is finished for 2020.

Hell, gyms and pubs have been told they should be prepared to remain closed till September. No chance will community footy teams get to play while that's happening.

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Judging on the climate at the moment I think the best case scenario at this stage would be some sort of return to training in August. Government has essentially conceded that even if we start to contain the virus by say May, they wont be taking any chances coming into winter where all the other hard-hit countries experienced the outbreak in the Winter season. Even then - August is pretty bloody late to be trying to table something together, I think its fairly safe to say at this stage footy at the community level is finished for 2020.

Hell, gyms and pubs have been told they should be prepared to remain closed till September. No chance will community footy teams get to play while that's happening.
As previously stated I'm not nostadarmis.
But I think you might have from october to early December to get some game time.
Not sure it's worth it but you may get 6 games and 3 weeks of finals.
Just a guess atm.

the doc 70

Debutant
Apr 15, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Write the year off Boys. The only thing that will allow footy to be played is the miraculous disappearance of COVID-19.

Even if we flatten the curve how many blokes are going to be willing to run out and play and risk getting it?

People's livelihoods and health will take precedence as they should

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Write the year off Boys. The only thing that will allow footy to be played is the miraculous disappearance of COVID-19.

Even if we flatten the curve how many blokes are going to be willing to run out and play and risk getting it?

People's livelihoods and health will take precedence as they should
Like blocker said mate.
Got to hope and everyone needs something to look forward to.
But I'm realistic and think you might be right sadly.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Like blocker said mate.
Got to hope and everyone needs something to look forward to.
But I'm realistic and think you might be right sadly.

The second-tier NBL league (NBL One) just fully cancelled their season yesterday after initially postponing it until May 31. I suspect AFLQ will follow suit in the next 2-3 weeks. While we still have this date up in the air blokes will still be getting together and training, I feel the gvt will find it too risky.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I did hear that there is legitimate concern about season 2021 as well. I think we might be underestimating how financially hit the AFL will be from this point on.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I did hear that there is legitimate concern about season 2021 as well. I think we might be underestimating how financially hit the AFL will be from this point on.
No football in 2020 is worst case. 2021 season is not in jeopardy.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah wouldn't be so sure. Obviously depends on time lines of how long this virus runs but think we can near guarantee that there are going to be multiple organisations wiped out financially from this and unless clubs change the whole model they run under let alone the league, I think there is a bit of doom around it all.
For starters think we might find fees have to be a lot lower - probably overdue but this may mean even at QAFL level that there is 2 field umpires and the rest are club based. TBH don't think it would really matter. Much prefer to throw $50 to a club person / kid to run boundary/wave flags than paid umps. Think the salary cap might be null and void too......

If this virus is impacting past 3-4 months then there will be bigger issues on a governments radar than bailing out a code financially so people can participate and get paid to do so.

Hope I'm wrong but gee there is pain out there and its early days.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah wouldn't be so sure. Obviously depends on time lines of how long this virus runs but think we can near guarantee that there are going to be multiple organisations wiped out financially from this and unless clubs change the whole model they run under let alone the league, I think there is a bit of doom around it all.
For starters think we might find fees have to be a lot lower - probably overdue but this may mean even at QAFL level that there is 2 field umpires and the rest are club based. TBH don't think it would really matter. Much prefer to throw $50 to a club person / kid to run boundary/wave flags than paid umps. Think the salary cap might be null and void too......

If this virus is impacting past 3-4 months then there will be bigger issues on a governments radar than bailing out a code financially so people can participate and get paid to do so.

I think AFLQ has just got to get creative. I feel as if best case scenario (which ive mentioned already) that we could see restrictions relaxed around August. I think its fair to say contact sport is finished for the rest of this year but I'd love to see them market some sort of 9's or modified game for clubs to participate before pre-season to maybe scrounge up some cash and get players some well-needed game exposure so there isn't a) a massive increase in injuries next year and b) start building competition interest levels for a big 2021.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

the AFL itself will be back onthe field ASAP. They’re a business and will on the park as soon as the restrictions are lifted in empty stadiums. They will be endeavouring to run like any other business.
The health impacts are what they are but the government and medical professionals will want things back in operation as soon as possible. I can see a mountain of mental health issues, that will be directly involved with Covid-19. People will want to get back into some sort of normality quickly. As soon as the restrictions are starting to relax sport will recommence. They won’t drag it out 12 months.
My bet is the AFL will be back in the park mid June. Local footy I’m not too sure.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If the Gvt wanted to go the full-scale lockdown endgame (which from what I've read from experts could halt the virus in its tracks within 8 weeks) footy would be a slight possibility second half of the year but it appears they are going down the 'flatten the curve' route which means social distancing will remain for the rest of the year you'd think.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
the AFL itself will be back onthe field ASAP. They’re a business and will on the park as soon as the restrictions are lifted in empty stadiums. They will be endeavouring to run like any other business.
The health impacts are what they are but the government and medical professionals will want things back in operation as soon as possible. I can see a mountain of mental health issues, that will be directly involved with Covid-19. People will want to get back into some sort of normality quickly. As soon as the restrictions are starting to relax sport will recommence. They won’t drag it out 12 months.
My bet is the AFL will be back in the park mid June. Local footy I’m not too sure.

Mid-June wont even be our virus peak. Maybe if we lock down fully right now it would be possible but with how the Gvt wants to play things this virus is hanging around for 6 months minimum. There wont be any return to normality before then.

Mudsticks

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Long odds for footy in mid June

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Obviously lots of different thoughts on it all. Who knows I suppose. The AFL might Dusty bc the players could be broke by then.. :)

In a funny sort of way its a good social experiment which I'm not sure Australians are passing. People love to bs on about the millennial generation being self entitled - think there is a fair bit flowing through to the Boomer gen as well which doesn't like to be admitted by this demographic.

I just think Dusty that even if the virus is contained and therefore allowed to play that when you lay off 80-90% of your staff they aren't sitting around getting paid zilch and doing planning/organising for the commencement of a new season. This in itself will take time.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Obviously lots of different thoughts on it all. Who knows I suppose. The AFL might Dusty bc the players could be broke by then.. :)

In a funny sort of way its a good social experiment which I'm not sure Australians are passing. People love to bs on about the millennial generation being self entitled - think there is a fair bit flowing through to the Boomer gen as well which doesn't like to be admitted by this demographic.

I just think Dusty that even if the virus is contained and therefore allowed to play that when you lay off 80-90% of your staff they aren't sitting around getting paid zilch and doing planning/organising for the commencement of a new season. This in itself will take time.
it will happen quicker then you think. 4-6 week prep time and they’ll be back. These players are professional it’s their job. They will look after themselves and come back in shape. The theory work is done it will be match conditioning that will be lacking. The AFL and the clubs will get an indication a hell of a lot earlier then the rest of us and they will be engaging their assistants.
local footy leagues will take longer. It’s these guys jobs. It will be like the ban for you or I be lifted and return to work. We will hit the ground running straight away

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
The mental health impacts of the Coronavirus will have more of impact then the virus itself. That’s the sole reason I can’t see an extended lockdown. Once the curve flattens or rates of infections decrease they will lift a lot of the bans to get some sense of normality back even with some adjustments.
The AFL will definitely play apart in getting people back to feeling as though life is returning to the new normal.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The mental health impacts of the Coronavirus will have more of impact then the virus itself. That’s the sole reason I can’t see an extended lockdown. Once the curve flattens or rates of infections decrease they will lift a lot of the bans to get some sense of normality back even with some adjustments.
The AFL will definitely play apart in getting people back to feeling as though life is returning to the new normal.
Yeah I disagree. The physical health side will take major precedence over mental health rightly or wrongly. Tbh I know if I lost one of my parents this would affect my mental health far greater than being involved in footy this year.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
it will happen quicker then you think. 4-6 week prep time and they’ll be back. These players are professional it’s their job. They will look after themselves and come back in shape. The theory work is done it will be match conditioning that will be lacking. The AFL and the clubs will get an indication a hell of a lot earlier then the rest of us and they will be engaging their assistants.
local footy leagues will take longer. It’s these guys jobs. It will be like the ban for you or I be lifted and return to work. We will hit the ground running straight away

Not sure u can come back in any great shape if quarantined for 4 weeks. ( Monday the day I predict)

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah I disagree. The physical health side will take major precedence over mental health rightly or wrongly. Tbh I know if I lost one of my parents this would affect my mental health far greater than being involved in footy this year.

Not directly linking it too football. Linking it to the lockdown.
The lifting of the lockdown will eventually lead to football. You put anybody in lockdown for a stretch of time especially after losing their job or business the stress and strain on anybody.

Back