QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Your talking about AFL players? They come back from 8 weeks leave which include international travel in great shape.

You honestly think they stop training through that period?? many hire their own personal trainers to stay in shape during this period.
In this case they wont be capable of getting outside - now I'm not sure how many live in houses vs units but I don't think the latter allows for any sort of S&C that will leave them in great nick for getting back into it. I think that from a political perspective there wont be any footy for a while, especially with the restrictions that will be in place by then, especially coming into the flu season. The whole vision of seeing 600+ blokes running around on a weekend smashing into each other reduces the mindset of the every day Joe to "this isn't too bad now" which is the exact opposite of what the government wants to happen.
I'm trying to be a realist about this tbh and not be overly pessimistic but to be fair this is far from anything any of us have ever seen before or hopefully will ever see again. The economic fallout is going to be extreme, many, many businesses will go to the wall, people who have never received social security in their life and yet worked for 40 years will be lining up looking for relief, house prices heading south, job prospects dim. Love to think you are correct Dusty and its back to a sense of normality in 4 weeks time but I just cant see it.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
You honestly think they stop training through that period?? many hire their own personal trainers to stay in shape during this period.
In this case they wont be capable of getting outside - now I'm not sure how many live in houses vs units but I don't think the latter allows for any sort of S&C that will leave them in great nick for getting back into it. I think that from a political perspective there wont be any footy for a while, especially with the restrictions that will be in place by then, especially coming into the flu season. The whole vision of seeing 600+ blokes running around on a weekend smashing into each other reduces the mindset of the every day Joe to "this isn't too bad now" which is the exact opposite of what the government wants to happen.
I'm trying to be a realist about this tbh and not be overly pessimistic but to be fair this is far from anything any of us have ever seen before or hopefully will ever see again. The economic fallout is going to be extreme, many, many businesses will go to the wall, people who have never received social security in their life and yet worked for 40 years will be lining up looking for relief, house prices heading south, job prospects dim. Love to think you are correct Dusty and its back to a sense of normality in 4 weeks time but I just cant see it.

Don’t want to pessimistic yet that is one of the most pessimistic posts I’ve read.
Your allowed outside to exercise these boys would 100% be working their arses off in their own time.
The rate of new infections is decreasing slightly. Albeit with a small sample size. If it does continue a steady downward trajectory there is no reason the bans won’t be lifted in 4-6 weeks. The economy won’t allow for it to be locked down any longer

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
it will happen quicker then you think. 4-6 week prep time and they’ll be back. These players are professional it’s their job. They will look after themselves and come back in shape. The theory work is done it will be match conditioning that will be lacking. The AFL and the clubs will get an indication a hell of a lot earlier then the rest of us and they will be engaging their assistants.
local footy leagues will take longer. It’s these guys jobs. It will be like the ban for you or I be lifted and return to work. We will hit the ground running straight away
Don’t want to pessimistic yet that is one of the most pessimistic posts I’ve read.
Your allowed outside to exercise these boys would 100% be working their arses off in their own time.
The rate of new infections is decreasing slightly. Albeit with a small sample size. If it does continue a steady downward trajectory there is no reason the bans won’t be lifted in 4-6 weeks. The economy won’t allow for it to be locked down any longer

If this was all over in 4-6 weeks then Community footy would have a fighting chance and we wouldn’t be sitting around like sad sacks about this. EVERY indicator from politicians, health experts and the like suggests this is a 6 month thing. The infections being recorded right now are based on a 10-14 day lag time including the incubation period. 14 days ago life was as normal. We still have the raft of returning travellers to account for as well as the rising rate of community transmission which is the one thing government is dead scared about. Especially while we’re allowed out to vote, go shopping etc.

This isn’t even factoring in the fact the AFL are panicking like nobody’s business and pay cuts, staff layoffs are happening left right and centre. Do you think if they thought this was over in 4-6 weeks this would be happening? I know first hand of fringe level/younger AFL players remortgaging their homes and rushing to enrol in online Uni courses.

I’m sorry to be that guy Dusty, and I do hope your attitude comes more from clinging onto hope rather than underestimating this situation, but that is the attitude that will keep this virus circulating.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you think if footy does resume that there may be some Coaching movements?
Like players , some Coaches may have lost their job and relocated to where they can get work?
I reckon a few players from down south will head back home if it’s cheaper to live there than the GC or Brizy.
Also allot players may decide to work Saturdays to make up for the lack of work they may experience if Corona has effected their job.
Very interesting and testing times.
It may Level the Comp out or weaken lower teams even more, who knows, time will tell.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
If this was all over in 4-6 weeks then Community footy would have a fighting chance and we wouldn’t be sitting around like sad sacks about this. EVERY indicator from politicians, health experts and the like suggests this is a 6 month thing. The infections being recorded right now are based on a 10-14 day lag time including the incubation period. 14 days ago life was as normal. We still have the raft of returning travellers to account for as well as the rising rate of community transmission which is the one thing government is dead scared about. Especially while we’re allowed out to vote, go shopping etc.

This isn’t even factoring in the fact the AFL are panicking like nobody’s business and pay cuts, staff layoffs are happening left right and centre. Do you think if they thought this was over in 4-6 weeks this would be happening? I know first hand of fringe level/younger AFL players remortgaging their homes and rushing to enrol in online Uni courses.

I’m sorry to be that guy Dusty, and I do hope your attitude comes more from clinging onto hope rather than underestimating this situation, but that is the attitude that will keep this virus circulating.

Haha circulating the virus how. By following the statistics that were posted on the Aus Gov web page this morning? Have a look for yourself. I’d this an optimistic view 100% but it is better then many running around as if the sky is going to fall in.
So your saying low AFL income earners are trying to sure up a bit of cash? There is also word and talk of list sizes being cut by the AFL. This would also be a factor as to why they would be looking into securing their future.
Low income earners in the AFL are medium income earners in public life. They rely on their extra match payments and bonuses.
The sky isn’t falling

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Do you think if footy does resume that there may be some Coaching movements?
Like players , some Coaches may have lost their job and relocated to where they can get work?
I reckon a few players from down south will head back home if it’s cheaper to live there than the GC or Brizy.
Also allot players may decide to work Saturdays to make up for the lack of work they may experience if Corona has effected their job.
Very interesting and testing times.
It may Level the Comp out or weaken lower teams even more, who knows, time will tell.
Locally?? Very possible

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Haha circulating the virus how. By following the statistics that were posted on the Aus Gov web page this morning? Have a look for yourself. I’d this an optimistic view 100% but it is better then many running around as if the sky is going to fall in.
So your saying low AFL income earners are trying to sure up a bit of cash? There is also word and talk of list sizes being cut by the AFL. This would also be a factor as to why they would be looking into securing their future.
Low income earners in the AFL are medium income earners in public life. They rely on their extra match payments and bonuses.
The sky isn’t falling

It appears you are indeed in the former, an optimistic attitude which I have no issue with. It’s the people who laugh this off and continue to flout distancing measures and put themselves at risk of increasing community transmission.

If we were in the middle of winter coming into summer I’d be much more optimistic. At the end of the day we don’t understand this virus well Enough to know if this will matter or not, but common sense tells me that any Tom Dick or Harry will be running to his nearest testing centre with a weather induced runny nose. Which in turn still puts the medical industry under pressure and they’ll be pushing for Lockdown until winter is over.

I could be totally wrong but this thing, while certainly not a flesh eating disease or the Black plague, seems to have the ferocity of transmission that has got some of our brightest minds very afraid.

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't understand how some people think that everything is going to be ok in a few weeks.
People are dieing.
Business shutting down.
Infection rate climbing.
Unemployment is going through the roof.
All well and good to live in the hope we can get back to footy.
But the reality is we are no where near it.
Sorry to be the negative nelly but it is what it is.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast

It actually isn't that pessimistic Dusty - its realistic. Pessimistic would be the well founded idea that if lasts for 6-8 months I don't reckon season 2021 occurs in any real shape or form either. Why? Because there will not be enough money in the economy to keep clubs afloat. players will need to play for nothing (foreign concept in our sport) which will hurt numbers, the governing body will be hurt beyond belief financially and getting an elite comp back on the paddock will be their focus, players (as already mentioned) will be needing to work as a priority rather than as an aside on weekends. You keep on quoting stats that are based around this virus having taken stock in a very very short time period thus far. I seriously hope you are right and I (along with a few others here) are wrong. Happy to tip my lid to you if it is the case but seriously think you are putting head in the sand if you think there is any footy happening this year based on what I have read and seen.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
It actually isn't that pessimistic Dusty - its realistic. Pessimistic would be the well founded idea that if lasts for 6-8 months I don't reckon season 2021 occurs in any real shape or form either. Why? Because there will not be enough money in the economy to keep clubs afloat. players will need to play for nothing (foreign concept in our sport) which will hurt numbers, the governing body will be hurt beyond belief financially and getting an elite comp back on the paddock will be their focus, players (as already mentioned) will be needing to work as a priority rather than as an aside on weekends. You keep on quoting stats that are based around this virus having taken stock in a very very short time period thus far. I seriously hope you are right and I (along with a few others here) are wrong. Happy to tip my lid to you if it is the case but seriously think you are putting head in the sand if you think there is any footy happening this year based on what I have read and seen.

Not pessimistic to say 2021 won’t go ahead 😂😂😂😂 * me that’s as pessimistic as it can get. Realistic is this season may not go ahead. Optimistic would be on the park by June/July

So players have to play for nothing boo hoo. Will test the loyalty of some blokes. Some clubs in div 2 and below aren’t paying players anyway

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not pessimistic to say 2021 won’t go ahead 😂😂😂😂 fu** me that’s as pessimistic as it can get. Realistic is this season may not go ahead. Optimistic would be on the park by June/July

So players have to play for nothing boo hoo. Will test the loyalty of some blokes. Some clubs in div 2 and below aren’t paying players anyway

read it a bit more carefully mate. I said pessimistic would be saying 2021 doesn’t go ahead....

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not pessimistic to say 2021 won’t go ahead 😂😂😂😂 fu** me that’s as pessimistic as it can get. Realistic is this season may not go ahead. Optimistic would be on the park by June/July

my point is many blokes won’t play if don’t get paid. U might say boo hoo. But we need a list of 55 players to guarantee 2 sides every week. Is y some clubs won’t participate in ‘21.
I would suggest most clubs in div 2 are paying something even if it’s just cash awards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The 2021 season is going to be different to anything we've seen before.
How it plays out depends on the numbers and how financial clubs are.
Will we see a one team Saturday comp as well as a Friday nite comp.
Will we see just a division one and division two comp only.
Will we see aflq streamline their operations and reduce costs to clubs.
Will we see the points system in the bin.
In tough times all you can count on is loyalty.
So when this is over the ones who stay are more important to a club than any premiership cup.
Let's hope we get playing for the love of the game.
Not the love of the dollar.

FootyFanatic23

Draftee
Nov 15, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Mate if you belive China they are declaring victory over the virus.
All while wearing face marks and streets are empty.
Before it hits the news all schools in London will close this Friday for indefinite period.
So to say the worst is over in other countries is just strait up bullshit.
Just glad Australia acted as quick as they did.
I tend to belive the scientists over journalists.
Call me sceptical but I've never seen a reporter cure anything.

Haha Australia haven’t acted quickly at all. We are locking s**t bit by bit. NZ have less numbers and are in full lockdown with military patrolling the streets

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
my point is many blokes won’t play if don’t get paid. U might say boo hoo. But we need a list of 55 players to guarantee 2 sides every week. Is y some clubs won’t participate in ‘21.
I would suggest most clubs in div 2 are paying something even if it’s just cash awards.

Blokes will play they just may play for a club where their mates are. Will test a lot of loyalty in blokes

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do think its important that if there is a time that comes at some stage this year (would have to be before September you'd think) where it's somehow safe to resume contact sport activities (which you all know I think is highly unlikely), AFLQ needs to put some sort of mini season together to ensure momentum and rebuilding is happening towards 2021 season. I think you'd find there would be many blokes, especially the older demographic, would be shying away from footy for fear of injury after a year of doing nothing.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let’s be honest, no one should be getting paid at local level below state comps like the old days when you played for the jumper , mates and success.
The main thing killing clubs is expenses and player payments.
If players won’t play if they don’t get paid then they are their for the wrong reasons, if you want more money then work overtime or get a better paying job, don’t rape clubs for it.
I’m sure if clubs didn’t have to pay players then they wouldn’t need to change rego fees etc...

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let’s be honest, no one should be getting paid at local level below state comps like the old days when you played for the jumper , mates and success.
If players won’t play if they don’t get paid then they are their for the wrong reasons, if you want more money then work overtime or get a better paying job, don’t rape clubs for it.
I’m sure if clubs didn’t have to pay players then they wouldn’t need to change rego fees etc...
Have to agree with that.
If you think your worth money at this level go and try qafl and see what your really worth.
Just don't think blokes at this level are worth more than free rego.
Have a few good game awards and if your good enough you will get extra coin.
That way everyone is eligible for a few extra bucks.
Not just a couple in the team.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have to agree with that.
If you think your worth money at this level go and try qafl and see what your really worth.

Yeah maybe incentive for B&F and/or league votes cos then if anyone getting paid would’ve atleast earned it.
90% of people would still play footy next season if no club paid anyone, the 10% are the people you don’t want at your club anyway.

Gaylic Footy is amateur and they struggle for numbers.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The 2021 season is going to be different to anything we've seen before.
How it plays out depends on the numbers and how financial clubs are.
Will we see a one team Saturday comp as well as a Friday nite comp.
Will we see just a division one and division two comp only.
Will we see aflq streamline their operations and reduce costs to clubs.
Will we see the points system in the bin.
In tough times all you can count on is loyalty.
So when this is over the ones who stay are more important to a club than any premiership cup.
Let's hope we get playing for the love of the game.
Not the love of the dollar.

Agree outa

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Yeah agree but then not many on here are still playing. I think of the blokes I know on this forum, some of who played below qafl footy, nearly all would have been paid a few bucks to play. Not saying they wouldn’t have played if money wasn’t on offer but it’s a lot easier to spruik no payment when u have retired...😋

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have to agree with that.
Yep agree. Reckon cash awards is the best way to go in most comps tbh. Basically an incentive system. Play well, get rewarded

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am hearing that Junior and Youth Footy could be effected or closed down until 2022?

The only footy any chance of remotely playing this year will be AFL. All other forms and levels of footy will be pushed to 2021 due to AFL resetting and getting on top of costs again.

That’s what I am hearing from a fairly senior footy person in Melbourne.

If it’s right there is a lot of pain ahead.

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am hearing that Junior and Youth Footy could be effected or closed down until 2022?

The only footy any chance of remotely playing this year will be AFL. All other forms and levels of footy will be pushed to 2021 due to AFL resetting and getting on top of costs again.

That’s what I am hearing from a fairly senior footy person in Melbourne.

If it’s right there is a lot of pain ahead.
Mate that would be tragic.
I still have hope that 2021 is going to be ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back