QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he means footy isn’t a pipe dream in 2021 like it is in 2020.

Even so, you’d have to think there will be a few changes at the least. For instance I can’t see the Byron/Ballina road trips happening for Kenmore or Vic Pt in Div 2 south. Hell why not revert back to how the comp was in 2019? This north south thing never made sense anyway.

They’re not going to abandon the idea after 1 game

Well I think you'd be hard pressed to see the competition take the exact same form it did this year after 12 months off.

I’m not sure I am understanding the reasons why. I think the players will be itching to play again. Some older blokes will squeeze another year in. You may lose some players but I’d doubt there will be a mass exodus.

Clubs that go to the wall. Players that can't afford to live, let alone pay fees, unknown restrictions on travel and numbers of people gathering.

There is a multitude of variables that will mean footy will never look the same.

The North, south model looks even better in a new world though.

Clubs that go to the wall. Players that can't afford to live, let alone pay fees, unknown restrictions on travel and numbers of people gathering.

There is a multitude of variables that will mean footy will never look the same.

The North, south model looks even better in a new world though.

Fair point. Maybe VicPoint and Kenmore still get their div 1 licenses for 2021.

And yes dusty, as doc said we won’t be short of variables that will make footy look different. AFLQ will be doing all they can to cut costs also.

One thing you can bet your bottom dollar with is people in their teens and twenties will want life to return to as normal as possible as quick as possible. This age demographic in particular will be hanging out for footy to return. Not sure many/any clubs will go to the wall. A few will be starting from a much lower base no doubt. As mentioned earlier and rather wisely players won’t be receiving the match payments they are used too. The league will need to tighten the parameters again to keep everyone afloat.
I’d be up for a 10k salary Cap for div 2 and below. Force clubs to tighten the screws. Some won’t have a choice.

Its the demographic of 40+ that tends to be the volunteers around footy clubs though Dusty - without these then it4 doesn't matter how many blokes want to play footy.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong SM) by being different - I predict the so called push for a professional look across particularly QAFL and div 1 will be pushed aside for a more pragmatic approach of "just get the game done" eg. less paid umpires, less focus on personnel to stream games, team lists on web sites etc. It will be a much "simpler" version imo. Which tbh I think is fine. We take ourselves a bit too seriously as a code sometimes. There will be significantly less money in the system (50+% less I reckon) and a much greater reliance on clubs to share resources etc. It will be interesting.
At this level of footy, even more basic again - be happy to get 2 umpires in total for a game. Work out the rest. Yep, the comp might change its boundaries again simply to allow clubs to travel less. Not sure. What do others think?

Its the demographic of 40+ that tends to be the volunteers around footy clubs though Dusty - without these then it4 doesn't matter how many blokes want to play footy.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong SM) by being different - I predict the so called push for a professional look across particularly QAFL and div 1 will be pushed aside for a more pragmatic approach of "just get the game done" eg. less paid umpires, less focus on personnel to stream games, team lists on web sites etc. It will be a much "simpler" version imo. Which tbh I think is fine. We take ourselves a bit too seriously as a code sometimes. There will be significantly less money in the system (50+% less I reckon) and a much greater reliance on clubs to share resources etc. It will be interesting.
At this level of footy, even more basic again - be happy to get 2 umpires in total for a game. Work out the rest. Yep, the comp might change its boundaries again simply to allow clubs to travel less. Not sure. What do others think?

I noticed Div 2 had already dropped game times down to 16 plus time on in the seniors. Perhaps this would become the norm across all comps? Shorter games, less time commitment for volunteers? Just a thought. Definitely agree RE things like live scoring.

I saw in the VAFA forum that Gill McLachlan was quoted on radio over the weekend saying he doesn’t expect any state level footy or below returning this year.

What do you mean by completely different? Interested in this part of your statement

By saying completely different, I meant footy will be nothing like we had before.

For instance this year the AFL Grand Final could be best of 3 games taken interstate with no crowds?

In regards to our competitions it will be rules and regulations plus I think a lot of personal will move on from clubs like we haven’t seen before. Just my thoughts but I think whatever club you are Involved with at any level, the landscape of that club will completely change.

Who knows it may be for the better, but I fear it may be the other way.

I noticed Div 2 had already dropped game times down to 16 plus time on in the seniors. Perhaps this would become the norm across all comps? Shorter games, less time commitment for volunteers? Just a thought. Definitely agree RE things like live scoring.

I saw in the VAFA forum that Gill McLachlan was quoted on radio over the weekend saying he doesn’t expect any state level footy or below returning this year.

Schools wont be going back for at least 3 months - that in itself means no sport

Speak to a teacher they will tell you they are gearing up for that exact senerio.
Not saying it will but they are expecting it to happen.

Not having a go just asking the question. I spoke to 2 schools today Both in different parts of Brisbane, through my line of work. They Both said they find out if they’ll return after holidays Straight after Easter. I know they are preparing Enough work for worst case being 3 months.
You were categorical in your statement which is not entirely correct but worse case. I just thought you may have heard something different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not having a go just asking the question. I spoke to 2 schools today Both in different parts of Brisbane, through my line of work. They Both said they find out if they’ll return after holidays Straight after Easter. I know they are preparing Enough work for worst case being 3 months.
You were categorical in your statement which is not entirely correct but worse case. I just thought you may have heard something different.
I didn't make the statement just said what I know.

Work for EQ dusty. No one will be going back face to face after Easter, school will work as a remote learning facility for at least term 2, most are predicting term 3 as well.
To be fair I’m not sure if this will be accurate but I think you have forgotten a couple things:
1. We are coming into flu season meaning extra pressure on hospitals
2. Most pandemics have 2 phases I’ve read. The 2nd phase of this one should occur mid July.

Work for EQ dusty. No one will be going back face to face after Easter, school will work as a remote learning facility for at least term 2, most are predicting term 3 as well.
To be fair I’m not sure if this will be accurate but I think you have forgotten a couple things:
2. Most pandemics have 2 phases I’ve read. The 2nd phase of this one should occur mid July.
More importantly. When will the pokies be back open ? I’m not going 3 months without more chilli 🌶

That completely different to what both schools told me directly today. I’m not forgetting anything I’m not making any statements. I’m literally passing on what I was told today through work from 2 different schools

I'm extremely close to teachers.
They haven't been told officially yet.
But it seems that will be the call.

Yes u r right dusty, not official and private schools can do whatever they like tbh (not sure if they were the ones u had spoken to) and how that works is another discussion altogether but the conversations had at executive admin level are preparing worse case for 6 mths, best case 3 mths.
As we well know all this is very predicative and it might be 6 weeks or 12 mths! Who knows? Just saying that whatever is the situation with our school system will be a large determinant in whether weekend sport gets back up and running at any level.

Yes u r right dusty, not official and private schools can do whatever they like tbh (not sure if they were the ones u had spoken to) and how that works is another discussion altogether but the conversations had at executive admin level are preparing worse case for 6 mths, best case 3 mths.
As we well know all this is very predicative and it might be 6 weeks or 12 mths! Who knows? Just saying that whatever is the situation with our school system will be a large determinant in whether weekend sport gets back up and running at any level.

I was at Park Ridge School yesterday and teachers are being given lessons on how to teach kids remotely from home.

I think it may still be up to parents but they are expecting 70-80% of students to be staying home after Easter.

Not sure of timeline for how long but you would think maybe a term?

Someone made a great point about us coming into winter/flu season. We have been riding a nice wave with good weather in most states but with winter upon us that could spike things up again.

The whole Flu season thing gets largely forgotten about in most discussions. While it may have nothing to do with the virus itself, you are so right in saying that it already puts pressure on the medical system. I pointed out earlier as well that there will still be mass hysteria and anyone with a runny nose will be rushing to get tested. You have to be blind Freddie to think we aren’t returning to any semblance of normality until September. That is why IMO we haven’t pushed for full lockdown, government wants us to get used to this way of life for a good while.

Yeah I agree BG1, I was wondering why the government wasn't pushing for a full lockdown initially, but starting to come around to this line of thinking as well.
SM - yeah schools will all be open post easter, and students who are vulnerable or have health workers for parents will be able to attend, 100% But there wont be any face to face learning which is what I mean by schools coming back..

I was watching ABC news this morn actually and the NSW police commissioner was saying that he restrictions in place now will be there for 3 months and will only be extended, not reigned in, depending on what happens. Its about strain on the health system and the overload causing people to die, not of CV-19 but of other treatable diseases such as pneumonia, heart disease etc. bc they cant get a bed.
When you have the private health system needing a bail out bc it was about to go under then we have started to reach a "f..k me" moment. It is the worse crisis anyone has seen in their life time as it impacts both health and economy and to layer that, you have the situation where instead of people being able to rely on each other for support you are being isolated from others to a large extent. Footy (sport) plays a massive part in getting people through tough times at a mental level. As Outa said, community clubs are much much more than just places to play sport (or they should be). But we don't have these clubs right now to assist people. Really really sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back