QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

Read an interesting article in the Guardian today about the impact this year is going to have on community sport - mind you more around soccer than AFL but the impact on finances not significantly different with the top end not going to have the $$ to throw at the bottom end anywhere near as much as they once did.

Yeah I agree BG1, I was wondering why the government wasn't pushing for a full lockdown initially, but starting to come around to this line of thinking as well.
SM - yeah schools will all be open post easter, and students who are vulnerable or have health workers for parents will be able to attend, 100% But there wont be any face to face learning which is what I mean by schools coming back..

I was watching ABC news this morn actually and the NSW police commissioner was saying that he restrictions in place now will be there for 3 months and will only be extended, not reigned in, depending on what happens. Its about strain on the health system and the overload causing people to die, not of CV-19 but of other treatable diseases such as pneumonia, heart disease etc. bc they cant get a bed.
When you have the private health system needing a bail out bc it was about to go under then we have started to reach a "f..k me" moment. It is the worse crisis anyone has seen in their life time as it impacts both health and economy and to layer that, you have the situation where instead of people being able to rely on each other for support you are being isolated from others to a large extent. Footy (sport) plays a massive part in getting people through tough times at a mental level. As Outa said, community clubs are much much more than just places to play sport (or they should be). But we don't have these clubs right now to assist people. Really really sad.

I do hope though, especially if AFL plans to run through till December as rumoured, there could be some sort of activity or tournament planned for September/October by aflq - just for something to look forward to at least!

The thing I’m looking forward to is Bigfooty going back to nuffies posting rubbish about footy rather than being experts on global pandemics.

Longy I reckon the Friday night footy might even increase further after all this mate. Just reckon people may put their lives into reality and want their weekends back now they have had time with family?

Your thoughts mate?

Longy I reckon the Friday night footy might even increase further after all this mate. Just reckon people may put their lives into reality and want their weekends back now they have had time with family?

Your thoughts mate?
It would be good not getting sunburnt every Saturday!

In other news surely we can put the “are we playing this season” debate to rest. Scomo announced last night these restrictions will be in place for an absolute minimum of 6 months.

Your thoughts mate?

My thoughts are all this time with family is going to make me want to spend as much time at footy as I can next year... hahahahaha.

I honestly don’t see that many changes. If anything players will be even keener to get back on the field. Fees might be the biggest issue as I can see AFLQ having to pump them up to keep themselves going.

Friday footy grows every year. It’s the premier comp in Australia in my view.. saturdays are for horse racing and cans..

The thing I’m looking forward to is Bigfooty going back to nuffies posting rubbish about footy rather than being experts on global pandemics.

Believe the science Longy - :)

Yeah not sure that bc blokes want to play that they will (or can more the point). I am really concerned about the economic fallout from all of this. If AFLQ increase fees to claw back losses then it will be ta ta from a large % imo. I think they will be more likely to go the other way - how can they decrease their costs and continue to run a viable comp.

Believe the science Longy - :)

Yeah not sure that bc blokes want to play that they will (or can more the point). I am really concerned about the economic fallout from all of this. If AFLQ increase fees to claw back losses then it will be ta ta from a large % imo. I think they will be more likely to go the other way - how can they decrease their costs and continue to run a viable comp.

Yep they will have a tough job balancing things. Clubs will lose sponsors as well. Players might have to all pay their regos and forgo a weekly footy pay check if they care enough about their clubs to help keep them alive. Some guys without work for a few months might find it hard, but by April next year hopefully everyone is back to some sort of normal.

The hardest thing is going to be doing a preseason after being inside for 6+ months. Can see a lot of spews on the cards for a lot of blokes when it finally starts again.

Yep they will have a tough job balancing things. Clubs will lose sponsors as well. Players might have to all pay their regos and forgo a weekly footy pay check if they care enough about their clubs to help keep them alive. Some guys without work for a few months might find it hard, but by April next year hopefully everyone is back to some sort of normal.

The hardest thing is going to be doing a preseason after being inside for 6+ months. Can see a lot of spews on the cards for a lot of blokes when it finally starts again.

Yes I agree on all of that. Will be a really interesting time and I just cant see even financial clubs like Noosa and PBC deciding that they will roll the dice and offer reasonable coin. I think nearly all clubs will have blokes playing for nicks and may be this way for a while considering the revenue stream will have dried right up. It will be a great test of loyalty and I think sort out those who really love the game as well.

Yes I agree on all of that. Will be a really interesting time and I just cant see even financial clubs like Noosa and PBC deciding that they will roll the dice and offer reasonable coin. I think nearly all clubs will have blokes playing for nicks and may be this way for a while considering the revenue stream will have dried right up. It will be a great test of loyalty and I think sort out those who really love the game as well.
You are spot on smy! Our major sponsors are clubs, restaurants and accomodation partners so going forward will be particularly hard for us in that area.Id imagine that all footy department budgets surrounding coaches and player payments will be significantly diminished which tbh I’m not sure is a bad thing even though I’m probably showing my age a bit here.Im pretty confident we will adjust and continue to be competitive in whatever comp we are in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smy1305 I dont think you were too far fetched worrying about season 2021..... https://www.news.com.au/finance/eco...s/news-story/221c5a7b21cc8dadb997ac5b6a51ba05

For those who cbf clicking more infectious disease experts are saying 1.5m distancing needs to stay in place for 12-18 months

Yeah I'm not saying that it was going to be a given and was worse case scenario but until a vaccine is available I just cant see how or why they can risk it. Not withstanding the economic situation by 2021 either.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

Seems to be new information every day. Some are saying this is it for 6-8 months, others are talking about easing off in 2 months, it is literally a week-by-week basis.

Its great to see its under control so far. Footy is still a goner, I am just hanging out for the time that pubs, bars and gyms can open to some capacity. Hopefully mid/late winter

Seems to be new information every day. Some are saying this is it for 6-8 months, others are talking about easing off in 2 months, it is literally a week-by-week basis.

Its great to see its under control so far. Footy is still a goner, I am just hanging out for the time that pubs, bars and gyms can open to some capacity. Hopefully mid/late winter
The pm has made it very clear 6 months of restrictions.
So unless a miracle happens your drinking at home and working out under the house.
Sorry mate.

The pm has made it very clear 6 months of restrictions.
So unless a miracle happens your drinking at home and working out under the house.
Sorry mate.

Definitely understand there will be restrictions of any sort for 12 months or more, but it seems like there is light at the end of the tunnel for some of these to be relaxed in 3 or so months if the downward trend continues.

And of course, I'm speaking wholly from an everyday point of view. The 'will we play this season' argument was put to bed weeks ago

Definitely understand there will be restrictions of any sort for 12 months or more, but it seems like there is light at the end of the tunnel for some of these to be relaxed in 3 or so months if the downward trend continues.

And of course, I'm speaking wholly from an everyday point of view. The 'will we play this season' argument was put to bed weeks ago
Aflq still working hard to have some form of footy played this year even in months of October,November and December.Locally based carnivals and round robins have been suggested and the repayment of registrations both senior and junior is still very much a work in progress.Most at this stage seem happy to roll it on into next year! That’s coming from the top however imo if it goes that far into year the motivation will be lost by many.

If by some miracle we did get back to playing footy this year, what do we think is a reasonable enough games to call a season remembering we have played one round?

And how would finals look?

I think if we got a season away and played everyone once would that be enough? And restrict finals to a final 4?

Aflq still working hard to have some form of footy played this year even in months of October,November and December.Locally based carnivals and round robins have been suggested and the repayment of registrations both senior and junior is still very much a work in progress.Most at this stage seem happy to roll it on into next year! That’s coming from the top however imo if it goes that far into year the motivation will be lost by many.

Yeah I think the biggest issue is motivation Noosaboy. I just feel like if it gets to June/July even August blokes will be like meh lets wait till next year. Some sort of pre-2021 round robin where guys can see it as a bit of prep for 2021 would be a good idea. Like September/October just run some sort of lighting premiership, let pre-season start a little later (seeing so many guys would be basically doing their own extended pre-season at the moment anyway). Good to hear AFLQ are keeping their options option though.

If by some miracle we did get back to playing footy this year, what do we think is a reasonable enough games to call a season remembering we have played one round?

And how would finals look?

I think if we got a season away and played everyone once would that be enough? And restrict finals to a final 4?

Yeah its a tough one SM, I think the idea of an actual 'season' per se is a pipe dream but by the way things are going, I feel as if some sort of lighting premership type set-up at the back end of winter could be an achievable scenario. Have a few grounds approved by AFLQ with social distancing measures in place, maybe a 4 game tournament or something over a couple of weeks for each Div. I think common sense says its a big marketing opportunity for both AFLQ and footy clubs to start attracting guys for next year.

Basing this purely off how things have been going with the curve, we know every day is different and we could be still shut in for a long time yet.

Yeah its a tough one SM, I think the idea of an actual 'season' per se is a pipe dream but by the way things are going, I feel as if some sort of lighting premership type set-up at the back end of winter could be an achievable scenario. Have a few grounds approved by AFLQ with social distancing measures in place, maybe a 4 game tournament or something over a couple of weeks for each Div. I think common sense says its a big marketing opportunity for both AFLQ and footy clubs to start attracting guys for next year.

Basing this purely off how things have been going with the curve, we know every day is different and we could be still shut in for a long time yet.
Gentlemen the Chance of playing this year are Gone for All Sports
If we by some lucky magic get through this by July the rules we will have to follow for the 12 to 24 month time frame
Will be so Hard it wont work .... And I love the local Footy nothing better than going to watch a local game

Basing this purely off how things have been going with the curve, we know every day is different at and we could be still shut in for a long time yet.
I agree we are in for a long wait before restrictions on contact sport will be lifted.
It's all well and good to say Australia is in a better place than Europe.
But what is going to be front of mind is complacency.
If we lift restrictions too early it can come back bigger and stronger.
Just my opinion but I think our government will take a very cautious approach to lifting any restrictions.
We are very lucky to be in the position we are right now.
I just don't see any restrictions lifed untill we have three months of no deaths or new cases.
How long before that period starts is anyone's guess.
So we wait and hope that everyone does the right thing now so that we get one day closer to normal life.

Guys long time loiterer. Tried to get my account a few weeks back to debunk a few myths but took ages to be approved. I’ve been in contact with many different people around the place and what Noosa boy has suggested is bang on With the leagues hopes and thoughts.
They’re not giving up just yet and won’t until it’s essentially shut down by the Government.
The League will give it every possible chance to get off the ground insome way shape or form, however safety and well-being of everyone will be given priority.
I hope everyone around the league is staying fit and positive. Our boys have a bit of an online challenge going at the moment that is keeping everyone’s spirits and fitness levels up (don’t stress Bucky it is all individually).
My personal opinion is I’m not entirely sure what to think at the moment. A Friday night comp leading up to Christmas would be a sensational idea. Unsure of the logistics.
Keep self isolating fellas the curve is flattening even though I’m fattening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back