QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And now we wait to see if anything COVID wise comes from the 20,000+ march today. If two weeks passes with nothing of note then there is absolutely no excuse for the Gvt not to let our footy clubs have crowds this year.

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
And now we wait to see if anything COVID wise comes from the 20,000+ march today. If two weeks passes with nothing of note then there is absolutely no excuse for the Gvt not to let our footy clubs have crowds this year.

Yes makes an absolute mockery of this entire COVID situation. No reason we can’t have 80K at G on Thursday night.

It’s our right isn’t it?

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Is that just for Seniors mate?

Yes - seniors and reserves based on the club website announcement.

Not sure too many blokes will look for greener pastures and in fact I know Maroochy aren't interested in blokes looking to play for 8 games at the expense of putting an extra 8 games into their local kids. Someone would want to be able to commit for the next 18mths I'd say.
Is a shame but to be fair not sure it should be an expectation for any club to commit to a 8 game season that will cost the club possibly $10K, especially when that footy club has worked really hard over the last 3 years to get themselves into some sort of solid financial position

(Log in to remove this ad.)

StillGotIt

All Australian
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Not sure too many blokes will look for greener pastures and in fact I know Maroochy aren't interested in blokes looking to play for 8 games at the expense of putting an extra 8 games into their local kids. Someone would want to be able to commit for the next 18mths I'd say.
Is a shame but to be fair not sure it should be an expectation for any club to commit to a 8 game season that will cost the club possibly $10K, especially when that footy club has worked really hard over the last 3 years to get themselves into some sort of solid financial position

fully understandable position mate, must be a rough day. Certainly feel for every club that's going through hard conversations at present.

Bigger and better things in 2021. extra early preseason?

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah . Who knows what’s happened up there . Maybe all the ressies pulled the pin . Or the club knows no one can compete with Noosa . Hopefully no one else pulls the pin .

There will be others that pull out but you just have to hope AFLQ swiftly restructure comps if they have to, and that other teams stick at it and have a go.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah . Who knows what’s happened up there . Maybe all the ressies pulled the pin . Or the club knows no one can compete with Noosa . Hopefully no one else pulls the pin .

No lights at home ground, weren't allowed to train at local school, made a bit of a logistical nightmare for training (plus few volunteers to do the extra yards required for the CV scenario). Had a lot of players this year (unlike the last decade) and so if it was a concern about fielding 2 teams there must have been a lot of guys that decided not to play. Not too sure.

Gone Akers

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
No lights at home ground, weren't allowed to train at local school, made a bit of a logistical nightmare for training (plus few volunteers to do the extra yards required for the CV scenario). Had a lot of players this year (unlike the last decade) and so if it was a concern about fielding 2 teams there must have been a lot of guys that decided not to play. Not too sure.
Yeah that sucks ! Hopefully everyone goes back even if they have a kick somewhere else for the year . Wouldn’t want the panthers back in the 1 team division again !

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Good decision if that’s what’s best financially for the footy club. Well done to all involved for making a decision for the club. Hopefully the players will support them into the future.

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Caloundra first team to pull the pin on 2020.
The question is how many will follow suit.

Hearing a few teams in Div 1 South contemplating a decision of pulling the pin as well.

Think there will be a few more before July 11th which if it’s best decision for the club, then no problems.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah that sucks ! Hopefully everyone goes back even if they have a kick somewhere else for the year . Wouldn’t want the panthers back in the 1 team division again !

No they definitely wont be - have been a very solid club for the past 6 years really - been in the top 3-4 sides in Div 1for a while now with a few obstacles in the way as well. Pretty resilient mob. It simply is a case of not wanting to go backwards to not necessarily go forwards and too few to do too much I'd imagine. No doubt some players will be disappointed and want to play somewhere but i'm not sure their disappointment will be with the footy club people but the situation, especially after such a positive start to the preseason.

Last edited:

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No they definitely wont be - have been a very solid club for the past 6 years really - been in the top 3-4 sides in Div 1for a while now with a few obstacles in the way as well. Pretty resilient mob. It simply is a case of not wanting to go backwards to not necessarily go forwards and too few to do too much I'd imagine. No doubt some players will be disappointed and want to play somewhere but i'm not sure their disappointment will be with the footy club.
The bottom line is.
You have to do what's in the best interests of your club.
Always difficult to be the first to make a hard decision.
This year is a bust anyway and hopefully back into full swing next year.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dare say for just this season there will be no north or south - wouldnt surprise me if the comps look entirely different altogether.

No chance of that spring carnvial format as all is looking good for restrictions to ease even further ( Still Me looking like crowds at the lions this weekend so safe to say local footy functions will be back next month) but 100 percent there will be a mickey mouse feel to the comp this year.

Last edited:

Gone Akers

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Dare say for just this season there will be no north or south - wouldnt surprise me if the comps look entirely different altogether.

No chance of that spring carnvial format as all is looking good for restrictions to ease even further ( Still Me looking like crowds at the lions this weekend so safe to say local footy functions will be back next month) but 100 percent there will be a mickey mouse feel to the comp this year.
Maybe it’s a good thing .The whole north/south comp is stupid . It should be div2 div 3 .Like it’s always been. I’d rather drive down the coast for an even game instead of getting flogged by the team that’s close.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe it’s a good thing .The whole north/south comp is stupid . It should be div2 div 3 .Like it’s always been. I’d rather drive down the coast for an even game instead of getting flogged by the team that’s close.

I thought last years format was perfect. Kenmore/Bond/Cooly/Beenleigh/Robina were all very competitive in Div 2,and Div 3 was even more even I thought (Gympie, Hinterland, Redcliffe could knock off anyone at the top in any given week).

Qld footy fan

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Totally Correct Some teams in the div 2 north would be 40 goals behind Bond and should be in some sort of Div 3 environment
but without the NSW teams in the south I'm sure a few other wont get up and go...
So I'm tipping 10 to 12 teams in a DIV 2 stand alone that has no issues running into Oct or later
Most people have no issues going to the Gc and the Gc teams have no issue going to Brisbane and the Odd trip to the Sunny coast...
for a good contest ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back