QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

StillGotIt

All Australian
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interested how preseason is going around the place, for those that have already started and if any disruptions due to covid?

Wonder if the situation will make a few around the place reluctant to commit to a season of footy

another year of interesting times

Dusty Pup

Senior List
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Still too early to tell without knowing signings. I think Kedron are a safe bet to rise up the ladder, they've been training for a while and look pretty locked in + Allison signing. Heard Sandgate have picked up Rutledges plus few others any truth to that?
Might’ve got one of them but I think the other one is playing for Hastings in Victoria.

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interested how preseason is going around the place, for those that have already started and if any disruptions due to covid?

Wonder if the situation will make a few around the place reluctant to commit to a season of footy

another year of interesting times
[/QUOTE
I'd say the only disruption is any player that has to isolate. We have had a couple but it is what it is and we will all need to work around it. Hopefully the peak has passed before the season starts.

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Drums are beating. Couple of wobbly clubs out there.

I think it is getting harder to field reserve grade sides in Saturday Footy with so many Friday night teams now on board Enticing these players to get their weekends back.

Plus the drop off in 16-18 year olds in youth footy means not big numbers coming through to fill voids.

Not sure if headquarters interested in looking at senior only Saturday Footy as not financially viable for them as to what they charge Saturday Teams vs Friday Night.

goalkicker11

All Australian
Feb 14, 2007
house
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it is getting harder to field reserve grade sides in Saturday Footy with so many Friday night teams now on board Enticing these players to get their weekends back.

Plus the drop off in 16-18 year olds in youth footy means not big numbers coming through to fill voids.

Not sure if headquarters interested in looking at senior only Saturday Footy as not financially viable for them as to what they charge Saturday Teams vs Friday Night.
To many clubs putting in Friday night teams starting to kill Saturday footy

I will get some comments but I feel No QAFL should be able to have a Friday night team as they should worry about the QAFL teams only and bringing a high standard to our top league.

Last edited:

freddyfudrucker

All Australian
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree there. Blokes not making it at state league should be going back to lower Sat Divs. Affects numbers available and those surrounding clubs. The system is supposed to be two way but it isn’t in the end and it’s hurting those other clubs

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood

I will get some comments but I feel No QAFL should be able to have a Friday night team as they should worry about the QAFL teams only and bringing a high standard to our top league.

Definitely will get a comment from me.

We have had our Friday team since 2005, ive played in it since 2007. Most of our blokes are Sherwood guys who just wouldnt play footy at all if we didnt have this team, we dont have a string of blokes from other teams coming here.

I agree Friday growth is problematic but sirely the easier solution is putting restrictions on new Friday teams on where they source their players just like there are with womens team entries.

Our team is not made up of blokes who finish youth footy with Sherwood and arent up to QAFL so play 3rds, its 70% ex senior/reserves blokes with a sprinkling of guys who have literally never played at all.

Most blokes who age out of youth footy or Colts and arent good enough for QAFL either just stop playing, or play at the many clubs that surround us. Kenmore, Jindalee, Moorooka, Ipswich all have multiple Sherwood juniors playing, so we are not swallowing up Div2 players and making it a one way street.

We also encourage a majority of our QAFL colts and ressies who miss selection to go and play QFA colts or div 2.

I cant agree that QAFL clus shouldnt have Friday teams when we qre the longest standing friday team there is, the only one thats had a team in every year since it started and played in terrible comps with only 5 teams and done most of the heavy lifting to make Friday footy sustainable!

Simple solution would be that you must restrict a 3rds team (not a new senior side playjng fridays) that they have to meet sqme requirements as a senior womens side. Max 3 from another club, more than 40% new or didnt play previous year etc.

goalkicker11

All Australian
Feb 14, 2007
house
AFL Club
Essendon

We have had our Friday team since 2005, ive played in it since 2007. Most of our blokes are Sherwood guys who just wouldnt play footy at all if we didnt have this team, we dont have a string of blokes from other teams coming here.

I agree Friday growth is problematic but sirely the easier solution is putting restrictions on new Friday teams on where they source their players just like there are with womens team entries.

Our team is not made up of blokes who finish youth footy with Sherwood and arent up to QAFL so play 3rds, its 70% ex senior/reserves blokes with a sprinkling of guys who have literally never played at all.

Most blokes who age out of youth footy or Colts and arent good enough for QAFL either just stop playing, or play at the many clubs that surround us. Kenmore, Jindalee, Moorooka, Ipswich all have multiple Sherwood juniors playing, so we are not swallowing up Div2 players and making it a one way street.

We also encourage a majority of our QAFL colts and ressies who miss selection to go and play QFA colts or div 2.

I cant agree that QAFL clus shouldnt have Friday teams when we qre the longest standing friday team there is, the only one thats had a team in every year since it started and played in terrible comps with only 5 teams and done most of the heavy lifting to make Friday footy sustainable!

Simple solution would be that you must restrict a 3rds team (not a new senior side playjng fridays) that they have to meet sqme requirements as a senior womens side. Max 3 from another club, more than 40% new or didnt play previous year etc.
I knew you would be at me Thommo😂 and I can agree with you about the woodsmen, I have a problem with Aspley who have moved up to QAFL and then starting a Friday night team for blokes who can’t make it from last years Div 1 team, I feel those players should be heading to clubs on the Northside.

But it also not QAFL clubs I look at kedron having a Friday night team must take players away from Saturday football. Let’s see how many teams are still around in 3 years time from the new Friday night boom

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty Pup

Senior List
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Did you read Tommo's post above? makes a pretty decent case for sherwood having one!
I did. With the QAFL clubs getting heaps of kids having a crack at QAFL that are coming in from the smaller clubs. Blokes that are at the end of QAFL should be going down to help the smaller clubs. That’s my point of view. Thommo has a good case but some clubs are happy to take players off smaller clubs. Grange and Kedron could have an affiliation. Morningside and coorparoo. Sherwood and Kenmore. MT Gravatt and Beenleigh.

Gone Akers

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I did. With the QAFL clubs getting heaps of kids having a crack at QAFL that are coming in from the smaller clubs. Blokes that are at the end of QAFL should be going down to help the smaller clubs. That’s my point of view. Thommo has a good case but some clubs are happy to take players off smaller clubs. Grange and Kedron could have an affiliation. Morningside and coorparoo. Sherwood and Kenmore. MT Gravatt and Beenleigh.
Wouldn’t that be great if the big boys helped the smaller clubs . Will never happen though !

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood

We can't just affiliate with Kenmore, there are plenty of other clubs in our 'hood'.

However Kenmore in their squad this year will have 10+ ex Sherwood guys, some we actively sent there and others naturally moved there and even quite a few we would prefer are still with us!

No club in our area suffers because a bunch of 35 year olds still like to have a kick together on Friday nights.

In fact Jindalee as one example have guys who came to Sherwood to play 3rds, but we directed them there as we felt Saturday footy would be better suited.

Wouldn’t that be great if the big boys helped the smaller clubs . Will never happen though !

Last year we sent 5+ players to Kenmore for the full season, plus regular permits. We also had at least 5 play senior footy or reserves footy at Jindalee. We also supplied 5+ blokes to Park Ridge, including multiple guys who played senior footy there as well. We even sent a guy to Sandgate (as that was his junior club) when he missed selection one week.

In addition we regularly sent Colts to both Jindalee and Wests.

Hell I even played a ressies game for Park Ridge! (and dominated by the way 😅)

We also had guys play for Yeronga. The only nearby club we didn't help was Moorooka as they were flush with numbers from Coorparoo!

Not to mention all that, we also propped up Grange in QAFLW lending 5+ players almost weekly for them to field a dev team and had girls playing for Cooly, Kedron and several others as well.

If that's not helping out, i don't know what is? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Dusty Pup

Senior List
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
We can't just affiliate with Kenmore, there are plenty of other clubs in our 'hood'.

However Kenmore in their squad this year will have 10+ ex Sherwood guys, some we actively sent there and others naturally moved there and even quite a few we would prefer are still with us!

No club in our area suffers because a bunch of 35 year olds still like to have a kick together on Friday nights.

In fact Jindalee as one example have guys who came to Sherwood to play 3rds, but we directed them there as we felt Saturday footy would be better suited.

Last year we sent 5+ players to Kenmore for the full season, plus regular permits. We also had at least 5 play senior footy or reserves footy at Jindalee. We also supplied 5+ blokes to Park Ridge, including multiple guys who played senior footy there as well. We even sent a guy to Sandgate (as that was his junior club) when he missed selection one week.

We also had guys play for Yeronga. The only nearby club we didn't help was Moorooka as they were flush with numbers from Coorparoo!

Not to mention all that, we also propped up Grange in QAFLW lending 5+ players almost weekly for them to field a dev team and had girls playing for Cooly, Kedron and several others as well.

Well said thommo

Feb 10, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong

I played that game you played for Park Ridge and you DID NOT dominate.. hahahaha

The rest is accurate. Unfortunately your community minded attitude isn’t shared by a lot of the high ranked north side clubs.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Yeah agree GK11 - imo one of the jobs of the QAFL clubs is to be the flag bearers in their region for the development of football. Some areas will be lucky enough to have a couple of clubs but for the life of me I can't work out why clubs don't work together more.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast

You guys are a sort of outlier I reckon Thommo. Started up when it wasn't fashionable to do so but filled a niche for ex-players. At least you have a solution in your comment too!

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
QAFL clubs have more of a claim to a Friday night team then a Div 1 or 2 club.
Disagree. A lot of kids move to QAFL clubs from ages 13-17. These kids don't keep going with Saturday footy for whatever reason and decide to play Friday night footy. They have put down their roots at this club but only bc they made a call 5-7 years earlier under the misguided illusion they were going to be playing at QAFL level / AFL level. Now the club they came from at Div 1 / 2 level is a player short.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back