QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

None gone to Aspley 3rds. Just all recruitment avenues seemed to have dried up for a club that doesn't have youth coming through each year. Junior base is getting strong, but its going to be 5 years before that could start filtering through.

Sorry but it actually baffles me how these clubs that struggle from higher divisions then drop back to lower divisions and all of a sudden become flush with players and then dominate! Caloundra did it 10 years ago and didn’t lose a game by under 100 points Pine Rivers have also done before!! Do these clubs automatically go to Div 4 or be made to go to Div 3 and increase the number of teams in that comp? Then you have Gympie which are doing everything in there powers to make sure they remain in this comp! 🤷🏼‍♂️

My view on Friday night teams has been shared on previous pages, but one point is that i don't think addotional friday licenses should be granted if it results in surrounding clubs falling over. While this one doesnt appear to be directly correlated, there is a finite number of players in any given area, you don't add more teams in an area existing ones are already struggling

Just common sense.

Sorry but it actually baffles me how these clubs that struggle from higher divisions then drop back to lower divisions and all of a sudden become flush with players and then dominate! Caloundra did it 10 years ago and didn’t lose a game by under 100 points Pine Rivers have also done before!! Do these clubs automatically go to Div 4 or be made to go to Div 3 and increase the number of teams in that comp? Then you have Gympie which are doing everything in there powers to make sure they remain in this comp! 🤷🏼‍♂️
Not sure if the rules have changed but we were told if we stayed in Saturday comp and we had three forfits in the twos the club would be out for two years.
Huge gamble if you don't have the numbers.
Now things may have changed on that.
Agree on Gympie they just turn up and somehow put two sides out.
Got to respect that.

Will be if you have Gympie in that space too ;-)

Hearing another Div 1 Club is also looking at dropping out of that competition and moving back into Friday Night Footy.

AFLQ needs to review where this is heading as two teams on a Saturday Competition is naturally starting to feel the pinch with the Friday Night one team competition growing dramatically each year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing another Div 1 Club is also looking at dropping out of that competition and moving back into Friday Night Footy.

AFLQ needs to review where this is heading as two teams on a Saturday Competition is naturally starting to feel the pinch with the Friday Night one team competition growing dramatically each year.
AFLQ may need to look at a one team Saturday comp and maybe align it with the woman’s competition so clubs can still have a day of footy and maintain revenue.

Last edited:

Div 1 club?

Div 1 club?
Yep Div 1 apparently struggling with numbers and have had talks to Headquarters.

Agree with Thommo, there needs to be some room for Saturday Teams with no Ressies. Women’s Competition do it so can’t see why it’s an issue.

Might help Pine Rivers, Gympie etc survive. If it’s clear early in year then draw with Ressies bye not a massive issue in my opinion.

My own son has played Saturday footy for a while. Gone ok. Missed last couple of seasons through injury and other reasons but has decided to play this year - on a Friday night. His rationale was the fact that it didn't interfere with weekend and playing Div 4 rather than Div 3 required less travel. not saying he is the prototype of every player but I can see where guys, just playing footy for fun, don't want whole weekend interrupted by sport. What is wrong with combining Div 3 and 4 and creating north/central/south comps? Surely Div 3 don't see themselves as "serious" footy either and I mean that in a respectful way.

Yep Div 1 apparently struggling with numbers and have had talks to Headquarters.

Agree with Thommo, there needs to be some room for Saturday Teams with no Ressies. Women’s Competition do it so can’t see why it’s an issue.

Might help Pine Rivers, Gympie etc survive. If it’s clear early in year then draw with Ressies bye not a massive issue in my opinion.
Agree - rather than digging heels in I think there needs to be a recognition of the times we live in. Multiple clubs in places of footy heartlands die slow deaths in Victoria or merge. It seems to be a bitter word in this part of the world. Have alignments with clubs, create better relations, players playing in comps that suit their lifestyle. Don't know - just seems to make sense.

Which Div 1 club are you hearing is struggling for 2 teams? I know Caloundra don't have the same numbers around as they have had previous.

Which Div 1 club are you hearing is struggling for 2 teams? I know Caloundra don't have the same numbers around as they have had previous.

Imagine the new div 4 team just up the road isn't helping. Pure hearsay but sounds like a fair bit of early interest at Glasshouse too, wonder what their training numbers have been like.

My own son has played Saturday footy for a while. Gone ok. Missed last couple of seasons through injury and other reasons but has decided to play this year - on a Friday night. His rationale was the fact that it didn't interfere with weekend and playing Div 4 rather than Div 3 required less travel. not saying he is the prototype of every player but I can see where guys, just playing footy for fun, don't want whole weekend interrupted by sport. What is wrong with combining Div 3 and 4 and creating north/central/south comps? Surely Div 3 don't see themselves as "serious" footy either and I mean that in a respectful way.

I've been suggesting this for a while.

There are so many teams, and the lists are so transient - working out who will be good at any given time is impossible anyway.

Should just be Div 3 North, Central and South - probably 8-10 teams per comp anyway and its easy done.

Yes, there will be thrashings - but what competition doesn'tn have thrashings?

I would only caution that in the last 2 years certainly, the gap between Div 3 and Div 4 was enormous - but I feel this will even out over time.

The gap between top of Div 3 and bottom of Div 3 was probably bigger than gap between Div 3 top teams and Div 4 top teams also.

No doubt Ormeau lost a few players, but they went from Div 4 to Div 3 as Premiers and got a 20 goal round 1 thrashing and never looked back

Imagine the new div 4 team just up the road isn't helping. Pure hearsay but sounds like a fair bit of early interest at Glasshouse too, wonder what their training numbers have been like.
Love to see Glasshouse get up. Been a club that has battled along for a long while now but ripping facility at Landsborough. Think this would be a far better option than Hinterland having a 3rd senior team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back