QFA Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Very wet at Byron Bay. But great to play a good bunch of blokes that play care free footy. The after match was better than anything on field.

Definitely a yearly event.

If game was in Brisbane it would have been cancelled. Everyone got through unscathed and minimal damage to ground.

Goes to show I think we do jump the gun a bit early cancelling games to protect grounds.

If game was in Brisbane it would have been cancelled. Everyone got through unscathed and minimal damage to ground.

Goes to show I think we do jump the gun a bit early cancelling games to protect grounds.
Is south east Queensland footy the only place in Australia where there is a bye weekend set aside for wet weather catch up games

Is south east Queensland footy the only place in Australia where there is a bye weekend set aside for wet weather catch up games

Hahaha probably. Think the issue is most grounds are owned by the council and they are the 1s that close the ground and say if you play on it you have to pay to fix it, which is roughly $10k I think. Then AFLQ will cancel/postpone the round if half the games are cancelled.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its a tough one I reckon - people down south like to mock but a wet day down there is 10mm. We will get that in 10min at this time of year. The grounds cant take this amount of water and certainly it doesnt make sense to destroy a ground early in the year just so you can say "we play in all conditions". Unfortunately in this day and age as well, all it takes is for one person to seriously injure self and it is linked to ground conditions then its a slippery slope. Not sure what the solution is but I think AFLQ certainly work on the conservative side but maybe that isnt a bad thing?

Its a tough one I reckon - people down south like to mock but a wet day down there is 10mm. We will get that in 10min at this time of year. The grounds cant take this amount of water and certainly it doesnt make sense to destroy a ground early in the year just so you can say "we play in all conditions". Unfortunately in this day and age as well, all it takes is for one person to seriously injure self and it is linked to ground conditions then its a slippery slope. Not sure what the solution is but I think AFLQ certainly work on the conservative side but maybe that isnt a bad thing?
Cmon smy, wet weather was your bread and butter, in & under feeding out out a gazillion handballs a game. Agree and unfortunately its probably a litigation concearn for the afl but gee whiz would have thought being a winter sport meant winter conditions at times! I raised some concerns about ground a couple of yrs back which i thought was far more dangerous to play on in that it was firm in most areas but was littered with giant pot holes filled with loose top sail on the Thursday night. I was just told by the powers to be to fill out a condition report. There was an acl done in the match b4 in an exhibition game.

Cmon smy, wet weather was your bread and butter, in & under feeding out out a gazillion handballs a game. Agree and unfortunately its probably a litigation concearn for the afl but gee whiz would have thought being a winter sport meant winter conditions at times! I raised some concerns about ground a couple of yrs back which i thought was far more dangerous to play on in that it was firm in most areas but was littered with giant pot holes filled with loose top sail on the Thursday night. I was just told by the powers to be to fill out a condition report. There was an acl done in the match b4 in an exhibition game.

Yeh I think when the grounds are rock hard it’s more dangerous than playing in the rain. Would be an interesting report if they put ground conditions in with injury’s to see if it shows a pattern but at the end of the day you just want to play footy and don’t care about the conditions, as long as the beers are cold at the end of the game

Hard one re what constitutes a good ground surface. Fishermans rd (which would quite conceivably have one of the best surfaces in Australia usuall) has had 6 ACL's in just on 12mths.

never minded playing in the mud but when councils are pouring $$ into surface upgrades and maintenance then I'm not sure they want them going to pooh early in the year!

Yes it is a bad thing, football is a winter sport, has been for other 100 years. Should be played in all conditions. Everyday I walk across a road doesn’t mean I’m going to get hit by a bus now does it? AFLQ have and always needed to have a GHLA themselves. Then again councils up here are to blame for shutting ovals also, yet the local rugby league and union sill go ahead because of the extra funding.

Hard one re what constitutes a good ground surface. Fishermans rd (which would quite conceivably have one of the best surfaces in Australia usuall) has had 6 ACL's in just on 12mths.

never minded playing in the mud but when councils are pouring $$ into surface upgrades and maintenance then I'm not sure they want them going to pooh early in the year!
They claim Tidbold Park (Viccy point sharks) to be a Mecca yet I’ve played there twice for two serious injuries. One because I misjudged the length of the grass (patchy and various lengths in areas) and landed harder than expected after kicking a ball (bruised heel couldn’t run for 4 weeks) and secondly a PCL in a prelim.
To answer your question I think consistency of surface end to end and good drainage would be on the list to tick off

They claim Tidbold Park (Viccy point sharks) to be a Mecca yet I’ve played there twice for two serious injuries. One because I misjudged the length of the grass (patchy and various lengths in areas) and landed harder than expected after kicking a ball (bruised heel couldn’t run for 4 weeks) and secondly a PCL in a prelim.
To answer your question I think consistency of surface end to end and good drainage would be on the list to tick off

If only the world wasn't flat the water would drain better.

Is this a serious post? Misjudged the length of grass! Never ever have heard that one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not what you pay to your club but what the club pays per player to AFLQ

I could be wrong, but I don't think AFLQ work on a 'per player' basis. I'm sure each club would have set fees for their comp, umpire costs, insurance etc. Div 2 for example would be a the same amount per club regardless if they have 50 or 80 listed players.

From what I've read, Blocker or Thommo would know more about this type of thing.

correct

Not sure when it changed, but it changed for the better at least 7-8 years ago

Previously every time you registered a player, it triggered a cost. Now you just pay fees to enter the comp and you can register 22, or 122 players and the fee doesn't change.

QAFL fees are obviously bloody high, while QFA Div 4 fees are less than $10k.

I think the change is good, as the old system almost encouraged the old 'play under a false name' and other other silly behaviour to save on costs, now you just register them and off you go

Is this just for the A grade.
Does it include the cost of umpires.
The twos have to supply all club umpries and they just piggyback on the draw.
So no effort required on AFLQ there.

Assuming Div 3 and Div 2 are the same.

Attachments

• 2018 QFA D3 Fees - Final.pdf
    35 KB · Views: 99
Blockers men held their own against the senior western magpies today, pirates with the jump in the first quarter and it leveled out somewhat the 2nd.

Good hit out in the colts also.

Thommo please sort out that attentiveness and alertness of the outside barman please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back