QFA Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Big ballsy decision from the pirates to front up to div 1 with their backs firmly against the wall, especially since we all saw what happened to the devils this year. Despite what some hero’s may think or say, that takes guts no matter how you look at it. Full credit to the playing group, the board and the club as a whole.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Morro, that comment was based on players committed to playing Div 1 at the time we wouldn't have enough to field two sides. After a meeting with players last night it was unanimous that we push forward into Div 1 to keep our development pathway for our kids plus we would have to many players for a one team competition.

So now we go hard on the recruiting front as well as past players to ensure we front up in Div 1.

All the best to the pirates mate

How do you know they go back the following year? AFLQ are overdue for yet another competition re-structure, 2020 will be another year of upheaval and random competition changes that don't make sense. They can't help themselves.

Current system only in place until end of 2019

Ridiculous comment Fan - you are smarter than that. Obviously if Pirates were to be touched up like say yewronga or Bond were in the last 2 seasons then they would be allowed to go back. Basically bc they would have finished on the bottom.
The revamp you talk about is not of AFLQ's making but the real possibility that 2 NEAFL clubs will come back in 2020. How is that poor management?

Morro, that comment was based on players committed to playing Div 1 at the time we wouldn't have enough to field two sides. After a meeting with players last night it was unanimous that we push forward into Div 1 to keep our development pathway for our kids plus we would have to many players for a one team competition.

So now we go hard on the recruiting front as well as past players to ensure we front up in Div 1.

I sincerely hope you do well in this area Blocker - I would love to see your footy club be competitive in 2019. You never know who appears on your radar in the next 4 months.

Pardon the pun, but the million dollar question has to be how to control the flow of the same usual suspects between clubs between divs 3 and 2. The sustainability of clubs is obviously suffering as a result of it.

Sure some guys circumstances change logistically and I get that QLD has long held the tag of being transient - but is it the suppose cash that no one is paying (tongue in cheek) that changes a guys prerogative to travel from one part of the coast to the other?

Robina in my 15 years on the coast have played in the equiv of div 3,2 and 1 and had relative success at each at various stages regardless of relegation / promotion - we have also had some proper hidings along the way!

I know there are examples of say Kedron / MB where there is a mass exodus and its a perfect storm situation that sees results vary so much.

Clearly an outside looking in perspective, but some blokes in these div's have had more clubs than tiger woods in the last 3 to 4 years.

thommo has mentioned the pirates have put some of the quality kids to sherwood for preseason which is a great illustration of a bigger picture.

Can't help but feel though that there would be some in the AFLQ community that sit back indulging in an "i told you so" in relation to the pirates considering recruitment of said players above and the likes of Brennan.

This isnt a shot at blocker or the pirates - I just know the hard work that goes in to a footy club from everyone from a committee, volunteer, players, family perspective etc - it seems insane we are unable to learn from the past.

I wish you blokes the best having made a decision and well done - painting ALFQ as the bad guy might be the catalyst to bring the club further together during the year.

I dont know what the answer is - maybe its not even a question its more of a wednesday arvo musing- and hey maybe this is just the landscape of amatuer footy in QLD now - but I just see the current narrative doing more harm than good.

Last edited:
Yes fan I have to agree with u there.who knows what 2020 will bring let’s just hope for some competition stability for a lengthy period of time its helps all clubs.i like the promotion/ relegation system but understand the struggles it can bring as what has happened to the pirates.i also reckon they made a brave and correct decision to continue into div 1 next year that will hold their club no matter what results may occur in a far better position in the future.look forward to seeing the pirates in 2019

Cheers Noosaboy, can't wait to get up to Noosa for one of those famous lunches. Appreciate the support mate and as a club we truly admire the job that the coast clubs have done along with all the Div 1 Clubs.

We totally understand the huge mountain that awaits and all we can do is put our best foot forward.

I sincerely hope you do well in this area Blocker - I would love to see your footy club be competitive in 2019. You never know who appears on your radar in the next 4 months.

Cheers SMY same to your mob in the quest for 3 in a row. Look forward to watching how good the Roos are up close this year. I'm sure we will find out soon enough just how good they are.

Long as our boys enjoy their year and we can gain some respect as a club, then the journey will be worth it.

Cheers SMY same to your mob in the quest for 3 in a row. Look forward to watching how good the Roos are up close this year. I'm sure we will find out soon enough just how good they are.

Long as our boys enjoy their year and we can gain some respect as a club, then the journey will be worth it.

I’m sure you will. Out of adversity often comes good.

It's almost like throwing all your cash at winning a Div 2 flag was a poor long term strategy. Good luck to the poor pirates lads who have to show up for a shellacking week in week out next year, hope Blocker puts his (what's left of it anyway) money where his mouth is and gets out on the paddock to support the twos next year. Better get stuck into the pre-season now champ!

It's almost like throwing all your cash at winning a Div 2 flag was a poor long term strategy. Good luck to the poor pirates lads who have to show up for a shellacking week in week out next year, hope Blocker puts his (what's left of it anyway) money where his mouth is and gets out on the paddock to support the twos next year. Better get stuck into the pre-season now champ!

That is an ordinary comment. Had circumstances (out of their control) been different they would have the same list under the best coach in south east qld going around again.

Can tell you first hand there is money left as the club is donating a generous sum to a former player who was stabbed recently in a random attack.

Now you look like a proper goose

That is an ordinary comment. Had circumstances (out of their control) been different they would have the same list under the best coach in south east qld going around again.

Can tell you first hand there is money left as the club is donating a generous sum to a former player who was stabbed recently in a random attack.

Now you look like a proper goose

Blind Freddy could see their list wasn't sustainable, good on them for looking after a clubman, but it's still a fiasco and has nothing to do with me. Throwing money around in Div2/3 is just plain dumb. Guess they assumed that AFLQ would bend over backwards for them 965532446th time, tell your story walking, maybe J Brennan will need another reno job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

excuse the ignorance - but bomber as the best coach in SEQ football?

appreciate he had a decorated career as a player but can't recall Sandgate doing anything amazing during his time and wouldn't have thought a single div 2 flag constituted the above. Given people are lining up to pot Chad Owens after 3 gfs and 2 premierships in 3 years I reckon that might be a long bow to draw Watto but happy to stand corrected if I have missed something.

Blind Freddy could see their list wasn't sustainable, good on them for looking after a clubman, but it's still a fiasco and has nothing to do with me. Throwing money around in Div2/3 is just plain dumb. Guess they assumed that AFLQ would bend over backwards for them 965532446th time, tell your story walking, maybe J Brennan will need another reno job.

Think you a bit off the mark Thunder, firstly all our recruits are saddling up again in 2019 so not sure how that didn't work? Secondly Jarred Brennan played for zero to play with his brother. Not once did he even ask for a cent.

And our finances are more solid than most clubs due the fantastic support from our community businesses.

Our argument was more around getting our juniors/youth flowing through so we don't need to recruit. That needs time. Anyway we move on and hopefully when we get new facility the juniors will relish.

Think you a bit off the mark Thunder, firstly all our recruits are saddling up again in 2019 so not sure how that didn't work? Secondly Jarred Brennan played for zero to play with his brother. Not once did he even ask for a cent.

And our finances are more solid than most clubs due the fantastic support from our community businesses.

Our argument was more around getting our juniors/youth flowing through so we don't need to recruit. That needs time. Anyway we move on and hopefully when we get new facility the juniors will relish.
Yeah so maybe you should have waited until you had "a" facility before buying a flag?

Has nothing to do with you but you seem to have plenty to say.....

Rules are Rules you win a premiership in a division you go up , You went out in spent up big and bought a flag in Div2 well done . Most teams in Div2 have no money to buy a flag unlike Park Ridge . You have the money to buy players to be competitive in Div 1 , if hes the best coach in QLD as you say ... Park Ridge will do well in Div 1
Just sounds like a Park Ridge want to stay in Div 2 and look like super stars by beating up on Div2 teams . Park Ridge showed a win at all costs culture during the season Extra footballs behind goals when they were kicking to that end , eye gouging players late hits behind play , good culture being created at Park Ridge for the young kids coming through , surely that's not created from the best coach in QLD ... lol
Stop Crying about it get on the phone and start recruiting players or its going to be a long season
Must say I was very Impressed with the new Culture that seems to be created at Beenleigh this year . Not grubby very professional and look like they are building a good club culture for all the kids coming through, I'm sure if they won the Flag and went up to Div1 they wouldn't be crying about

Rules are Rules you win a premiership in a division you go up , You went out in spent up big and bought a flag in Div2 well done . Most teams in Div2 have no money to buy a flag unlike Park Ridge . You have the money to buy players to be competitive in Div 1 , if hes the best coach in QLD as you say ... Park Ridge will do well in Div 1
Just sounds like a Park Ridge want to stay in Div 2 and look like super stars by beating up on Div2 teams . Park Ridge showed a win at all costs culture during the season Extra footballs behind goals when they were kicking to that end , eye gouging players late hits behind play , good culture being created at Park Ridge for the young kids coming through , surely that's not created from the best coach in QLD ... lol
Stop Crying about it get on the phone and start recruiting players or its going to be a long season
Must say I was very Impressed with the new Culture that seems to be created at Beenleigh this year . Not grubby very professional and look like they are building a good club culture for all the kids coming through, I'm sure if they won the Flag and went up to Div1 they wouldn't be crying about
Lots of muppets making assumptions, pot shot princesses. If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all because you sound like a knob

Lots of muppets making assumptions, pot shot princesses. If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all because you sound like a knob

Plenty of pithy retorts attacking posters but not a lot of substance in it, if everything was running so well why beg the league not to be promoted, it's a cop out to expect to be above reproach.

Forums aren’t meant to be a circle jerk, they exist so people can say what they want. If you can’t cop it then don’t read the s**t posting.
Move on or start throwing s**t back!

Forums aren’t meant to be a circle jerk, they exist so people can say what they want. If you can’t cop it then don’t read the s**t posting.
Move on or start throwing s**t back!

I’m sure Coomera’s performance next year will provide me with numerous opportunities to throw rocks and cross swords with your constant s**t talk of how you’ve been shagged unjustly dickwad

Plenty of pithy retorts attacking posters but not a lot of substance in it, if everything was running so well why beg the league not to be promoted, it's a cop out to expect to be above reproach.
Substance, do you understand the meaning of the word or do you just use it because it has 9 letters in it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back