QFA Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Prett sure Maroochy will head up a division. This leaves 7 teams if what you say is correct re Burleigh (and I think you would be right). I would imagine that ther would need to be 3 teams come up, based on application, and I think the AFLQ will get rid of promotion/relegatipn and sides will need to apply to go either way from now on. Imagine if you win a premiership 2 years running that decision may be taken out of your hands....

Probably not a bad set up in the end - I'm not convinced about whether a points system would work in Div 1 or below - think theer would need to be an increase in the totals. The Vic sides are making a business out of flying Qld based players in to fill the void that they cant recruit top end players from down there. And finding that our top end players easily go okay in all of the competitions outside VFL.

The drums are beating that although clubs asked to vote it appears AFLQ have the competitions sorted for next year.

Div 1 will be known as Premier Division and will be everyone this year less Burleigh. The other 2 spots to make it a 10 Team competition will be on application. League is hoping Bond and maybe Beenleigh put their hand up to be part of Premier Division.

Burleigh will join a Southside Competition which essentially is Div 2 currently. Not sure but I think Kenmore included as well along with Tweed side.

Then there will be a Northside Competition which essentially is Division 3 as it sits now but they are losing Division names and will be called Southern and Northern.

The clincher will be the salary cap and points system which I think will be introduced as well.

Currently the QAFL points system is 51. I think they are looking at setting the Premier Division at mid 40's and the above competitions at 38 points which will be brutal.

I looked at both Ipswich and Moorooka teams from last few weeks and Ipswich currently have a playing group 60+ and Moorooka are mid 40's so not sure how these clubs with no access to one point players will be competitive with 38 points or thereabouts as the cap?

Fun times ahead. I think most Div 2 and Div 3 clubs would struggle to get near 38 points but I may be wrong.

Not sure if this is push to get clubs introducing Youth Teams or fall by the way side. Certainly looks like trying to keep better players in QAFL and Premier Divisions?
The drums are beating that although clubs asked to vote it appears AFLQ have the competitions sorted for next year.

Div 1 will be known as Premier Division and will be everyone this year less Burleigh. The other 2 spots to make it a 10 Team competition will be on application. League is hoping Bond and maybe Beenleigh put their hand up to be part of Premier Division.

Burleigh will join a Southside Competition which essentially is Div 2 currently. Not sure but I think Kenmore included as well along with Tweed side.

Then there will be a Northside Competition which essentially is Division 3 as it sits now but they are losing Division names and will be called Southern and Northern.

The clincher will be the salary cap and points system which I think will be introduced as well.

Currently the QAFL points system is 51. I think they are looking at setting the Premier Division at mid 40's and the above competitions at 38 points which will be brutal.

I looked at both Ipswich and Moorooka teams from last few weeks and Ipswich currently have a playing group 60+ and Moorooka are mid 40's so not sure how these clubs with no access to one point players will be competitive with 38 points or thereabouts as the cap?

Fun times ahead. I think most Div 2 and Div 3 clubs would struggle to get near 38 points but I may be wrong.

Not sure if this is push to get clubs introducing Youth Teams or fall by the way side. Certainly looks like trying to keep better players in QAFL and Premier Divisions?
I would say absolutely ****ed just had a quick look what my total points would be roughly on my very best line up and going on fans point system we would be sitting on around 60 points

Last I heard the “Southern” division will be most of Div 2 plus the northern rivers league

Bond, Cooly & Beenleigh approached to gauge their interest in going up a division.

All the Brisbane and suburbs Div 2 teams to get the choice between north and south divisions- I’d assume most would chose north to avoid trips to Lismore & Ballina.

Conflicting reports out of Burleigh as to whether they would stay up in the higher division if there was other GC based teams in it (according to them, they travel 3 times further than any GC or Brisbane based team per season in terms of KM traveled- would be close to the mark)

Fun times ahead

I would say absolutely ****** just had a quick look what my total points would be roughly on my very best line up and going on fans point system we would be sitting on around 60 points
Just spoke to AFLQ since my last post they said no point system in concrete yet they are still looking at all clubs that are involved and looking at a middle ground to make everything fair for everyone so it could be 38 or it could be more but they did say it will have different clauses ect in it than QAFL point system, fingers crossed it works for everyone

Or to at least try and form affiliations or create MOU's with junior clubs for those senior clubs that don't have any?

I would say absolutely ****** just had a quick look what my total points would be roughly on my very best line up and going on fans point system we would be sitting on around 60 points

did you take into account any discounts for years of service?

As soon as player enters their 3rd season, the discount starts applying

Or to at least try and form affiliations or create MOU's with junior clubs for those senior clubs that don't have any?
[/Q

I agree. Think this idea of getting more senior clubs has whiskers. Get more juniors playing, have them filter into senior clubs and get senior clubs to work harder to foster relationships with these j7nior clubs. With nil financial offerings....😋

Is there still promotion/relegation? If so will they combine both Northside/Southside into a combined finals comp to see who goes into the Premier Division?

No they will keep both Divisions as separate Premiers with no cross conference final from what I have heard. That may change?

No promotion/relegation forced but if you on the bottom of say Premier Division for 3 years you would get asked questions of going back and same if a team dominated for 2-3 years in either division North/South they may get asked to step up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just spoke to AFLQ since my last post they said no point system in concrete yet they are still looking at all clubs that are involved and looking at a middle ground to make everything fair for everyone so it could be 38 or it could be more but they did say it will have different clauses ect in it than QAFL point system, fingers crossed it works for everyone
Obviously didn't trust my information Flying?

Obviously didn't trust my information Flying?
Not about trusting your information more about being concerned about our playing list mate and the effects the points system could have on our club as a whole. We have worked hard since 2017 to turn our club into a competitive unit and we don’t want go back to where we were before then.

But clubs such as ourselves, bond(in their div) and other clubs that have no juniors or limited could possibly be issued with extra points and there maybe some other grounds we can argue for and maybe be issued with more as well it will all come down to out it is structured and the clauses they put in

Last edited:
My understanding:

7 points - been on an AFL list in the last 5 years
6 points - Played 5 or more senior games in WAFL, VFL, SANFL in any of the last 3 seasons
5 points - Played 5 or more senior games in NEAFL, O&M, EDFL etc (a bunch of other topline comps around the place)
4 points - Played Senior footy in a bunch of lower tier leagues, mainly Perth, Adelaide and Vic country leagues, plus Sydney premier, TSL, NTFL and QAFL
3 points - Played 5 or more senior games at a QFA or regional club in QLD in the past 3 years
2 points - transferred youth player who has played less than 5 senior games elsewhere
1 point - junior player who has played more than 40 games for the senior clubs affiliated junior/youth club

If you are a 1 pointer, you will always be a 1 pointer - regardless of whether you meet other criteria

If you transfer clubs within the same competition, you have 2 penalty points applied on top of whatever rating you already are

If you leave a club as a 2-3 pointer to test yourself at a higher level, you can come back to the same club and be rated the same points you were when you left.

There are years of service discounts, so if you've been at a club for 2 years, in your 3rd season you are discounted 1 point, then continue to be discounted for every year until you become a 1 pointer.

eg. Park Ridge with Overington, Rutledge etc, they would all be 4 pointers this year, but next season in their 3rd season they will be 3 pointers, if they stay.

So alot of clubs aren't in as much strife as they think they might be, as if they have a bunch of ex QAFL guys or interstate guys, they will be heavily discounted if they have all been there for a while (eg. Maroochydoore have lots of recruits, but most of them have been there 3 + years)

thats a fair bit of detail. where do you work again?

Pirates would be under 38 points Fan which might surprise a few.

I question your maths!

Don't forget the 2 point penalty for blokes playing against their old club....

Passfield, Overington, Rutledge x 2, Raabe, Cester, Bromley, Valdes are all minimum 3 pointers.

so there is 24 points, so unless your last 14 in the side are all 1's, then your over 38 already

I question your maths!

Don't forget the 2 point penalty for blokes playing against their old club....

Passfield, Overington, Rutledge x 2, Raabe, Cester, Bromley, Valdes are all minimum 3 pointers.

so there is 24 points, so unless your last 14 in the side are all 1's, then your over 38 already

Raabe, Sulks, Chez etc been at our club for 6 years? They all 1 pointers.

Passfield, Overington, Rutledge boys, Cestor all 3 points as next year will be third year at club.

The way I see it we can have 8 x 3 pointers and 14 x 1 pointers which would be 38 points?

Raabe, Sulks, Chez etc been at our club for 6 years? They all 1 pointers.

Passfield, Overington, Rutledge boys, Cestor all 3 points as next year will be third year at club.

The way I see it we can have 8 x 3 pointers and 14 x 1 pointers which would be 38 points?

Which comp will the pirates aim for next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back