QFA Div 4&5

Remove this Banner Ad

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If a club is relying on Friday night players to help a senior div 1 team, why do they have 3 teams to begin with? The rule is a good one for the other teams in div 4 and 5 who don’t have senior teams above them to grab players from. Div 4 and 5 are completely seperate comps to Saturday comps, clubs with 3 sides should either have 30 seperate players to pick from on Friday’s or not have a third team at all.

It’s not AFLQ fault they are trying to protect the integrity of one comp and a club that has nominated to have 3 sides at the start of the year doesn’t have the numbers for it or it’s players decide mid year to change the day they play.

They had the numbers for three teams - im talking about the higher echelon players that couldn't commit to every Saturday and thus, didn't want to comprimise their Friday Night eligibility.

I feel like a better rule would be the same one they use for clearances - if you played a higher division the week before, then you shouldn't be eligible. At least stops player stacking on bye weeks, and retains some flexibility.

Feb 10, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
They had the numbers for three teams - im talking about the higher echelon players that couldn't commit to every Saturday and thus, didn't want to comprimise their Friday Night eligibility.

I feel like a better rule would be the same one they use for clearances - if you played a higher division the week before, then you shouldn't be eligible. At least stops player stacking on bye weeks, and retains some flexibility.

So those ‘upper echelon players’ make a decision to either play Friday all year or play Saturday and miss the games they can’t make. I’m sure Ferny Grove aren’t calling on ‘upper echelon players’ from a div 1 club to drop down and give their Friday night side an unfair advantage because some bloke from div 1 has to take his missus to a wedding on a Saturday one week.

FAN THE MAN

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Could still play 2s on Saturday, but obviously stacked for a flag instead. Kind of understandable given they won 1 game between the 1's and 2s in Div 1 and a % in the teens, but someone there should have put their foot down and not allowed a Div 5 team to compromise the quality of a Div 1 outfit that is now being relegated.

Roll_on

Draftee
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Here's some figures rather than the standard baseless speculation:

Of the 22 grand-final-winning Yeronga players -
16 played Friday nights from round one.
3 more played from rounds 2-3 onwards.
2 more joined in rounds 6-7 (neither stepped down from Div 1).

That's 21 of 22 players committing to Friday night from very early in the season (work and family reasons, the same as every other Friday night footballer?), before Yeronga was even 3 wins from 8 games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could still play 2s on Saturday, but obviously stacked for a flag instead. Kind of understandable given they won 1 game between the 1's and 2s in Div 1 and a % in the teens, but someone there should have put their foot down and not allowed a Div 5 team to compromise the quality of a Div 1 outfit that is now being relegated.

Alot of them did back up on Saturdays too. Would hardly call that stacking. But of course, you know everything that goes on at every other club. Kind of like how Kenmore have stacked their 2's :)

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
They had the numbers for three teams .

you sure?

maybe 2 and a half :rolleyes:

don't think their new coach was expecting to go from the Woodies backline to Div 1 seniors for the year in his early 40s, reckon he would have enjoyed playing Fridays ! :p

Yeronga were in that awkward position of having too many for 2 teams and not quite enough for 3. (we had the same problem this year at U/16 level) In that situation, usually the lowest ranked team suffers but as someone who has played on Friday for 10 years now, I understand the lifestyle benefits and why it was the other way around in this case.

Little birdie told me the winning streak started when they joined in Senior training... :D

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
you sure?

maybe 2 and a half :rolleyes:

don't think their new coach was expecting to go from the Woodies backline to Div 1 seniors for the year in his early 40s, reckon he would have enjoyed playing Fridays ! :p

Yeronga were in that awkward position of having too many for 2 teams and not quite enough for 3. (we had the same problem this year at U/16 level) In that situation, usually the lowest ranked team suffers but as someone who has played on Friday for 10 years now, I understand the lifestyle benefits and why it was the other way around in this case.

Little birdie told me the winning streak started when they joined in Senior training... :D

I'd say it was that and getting commitment from M Johnson and Middleton, two mainstay midfielders in the senior team for the last few years!

Heres hoping the Senior group rally and give Longy some success. Was maybe a little bit past it on the field but certainly has the chops up in the box. I hope he goes around again, quality guy.

Mighty Pirates

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Classic stitch up!! The old “dropped” blokes back... if blokes could play Saturdays, our 2’s wouldn’t have been short every week!! That was the priority but those who are med students working Saturday’s, those who live on the Goldy and those with families weren’t able to do that so played Friday nights. As.... simple.... as.... that....

DanTango

Draftee
Jan 20, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Hello Everyone. Has anyone received info from AFLQ or other sources as to the progress of the draws for friday nights yet.

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
only that they are waiting on a number of clubs to finalise their nominations, they are unsure of which teams will get up etc.

quite a few clubs nominating for a Div 5 side, but I've heard on the grapevine the Div 5 Premiers won't be promoted as they may not have a side?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UncleStanTheMan

Draftee
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
My dad live in Fernvale and sent me this, Was after a game they had there last Saturday. Seem like the Ipswich Cats have recruited a couple ex AFL players. Rahn Hooper and Albert Proud. Should make them stronger and add some excitement to Friday nite football. They both played really well. However not sure I would be thrilled to have a person like Proud around my club . Didn't he get locked up for almost murdering his wife? I wonder why they did not go join the Ipswich Eagles? Dad What's everyone think about this?

Attachments

• 51892061_2147798921942404_1154986765400932352_n.jpg
    51892061_2147798921942404_1154986765400932352_n.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 105

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
My dad live in Fernvale and sent me this, Was after a game they had there last Saturday. Seem like the Ipswich Cats have recruited a couple ex AFL players. Rahn Hooper and Albert Proud. Should make them stronger and add some excitement to Friday nite football. They both played really well. However not sure I would be thrilled to have a person like Proud around my club . Didn't he get locked up for almost murdering his wife? I wonder why they did not go join the Ipswich Eagles? Dad What's everyone think about this?

Think you will find they were just helping out making up enough numbers for a game, Hooper still very much a Springwood player but lives over that way and knows plenty of the Ipswich lads. Not sure about Proud but wouldn't think if he was going to play that he would be playing there.

UncleStanTheMan

Draftee
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Think you will find they were just helping out making up enough numbers for a game, Hooper still very much a Springwood player but lives over that way and knows plenty of the Ipswich lads. Not sure about Proud but wouldn't think if he was going to play that he would be playing there.
oh sorry. players from higher level can play in low divisions?

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Heard around the traps that park ridge have retained most of their first grade side.
It was the twos players that didn't want to go up.
So good luck to everyone if that's the case.
Bloody good side for Friday nite footy.

Stanley Steamer

Debutant
Nov 16, 2011
Devilville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Heard around the traps that park ridge have retained most of their first grade side.
It was the twos players that didn't want to go up.
So good luck to everyone if that's the case.
Bloody good side for Friday nite footy.

Absolute joke if true. Really showing aflq , there needs to be more behind this promotion/ reg system. Just because the their seniors would go ok in Div 1 doesn’t mean the resales would have. Dropping them back to Friday night footy , doesn’t fix anything.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Absolute joke if true. Really showing aflq , there needs to be more behind this promotion/ reg system. Just because the their seniors would go ok in Div 1 doesn’t mean the resales would have. Dropping them back to Friday night footy , doesn’t fix anything.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I always had doubts about the new system.
One good year doesn't make a club ready to go up a division.
It takes a couple of solid years and a group to gel before talk of higher aspirations.
In Queensland footy the gap between levels is quite large.
Player debth and financial situation should be considered.
The gap between twos and ones in the same comp is even bigger let alone going up.
Neafl qafl and div one should be set and getting into those comps from lower levels should have more strignet rules.
Lot to consider other than winning in lower levels.
Having said that what choice does a club have if the numbers aren't there.
If the aflq have closed minds then when forced a club will take the option that doesn't see them fold completely.
Perfectly understandable.
What's the point in beaing promoted and then getting hammered only to demoted again.
A club in a higher division may finnish last but are only a couple a good players away from beaing competitive.
Then demoted and some of the top tier players will leave to stay in higher comp.
Right back to a rebuild again.
Pointless and unproductive.
This system rewards you for having a good year then smacks you the next.
People talk about consistenty and slow growth as the key to a clubs success.
This system really rewards the team that comes second.
At least they can hold onto players and try to build for a promotion.
I'm sure others will have an opinion on this but really any club that gets promoted before they are ready will and continue to break them.
It will happen again under this system.

Feb 10, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I always had doubts about the new system.
One good year doesn't make a club ready to go up a division.
It takes a couple of solid years and a group to gel before talk of higher aspirations.
In Queensland footy the gap between levels is quite large.
Player debth and financial situation should be considered.
The gap between twos and ones in the same comp is even bigger let alone going up.
Neafl qafl and div one should be set and getting into those comps from lower levels should have more strignet rules.
Lot to consider other than winning in lower levels.
Having said that what choice does a club have if the numbers aren't there.
If the aflq have closed minds then when forced a club will take the option that doesn't see them fold completely.
Perfectly understandable.
What's the point in beaing promoted and then getting hammered only to demoted again.
A club in a higher division may finnish last but are only a couple a good players away from beaing competitive.
Then demoted and some of the top tier players will leave to stay in higher comp.
Right back to a rebuild again.
Pointless and unproductive.
This system rewards you for having a good year then smacks you the next.
People talk about consistenty and slow growth as the key to a clubs success.
This system really rewards the team that comes second.
At least they can hold onto players and try to build for a promotion.
I'm sure others will have an opinion on this but really any club that gets promoted before they are ready will and continue to break them.
It will happen again under this system.

Moreton Bay finished second a few years ago and then won the wooden spoon the year after in the same div. QLD footy is far too volatile with player movement and and retention each year for promotion relegation to work. Like you say, ressies in particular is a massive standard drop, most guys just want to have a kick with their mates and enjoy footy. Playing div 1 ressies after being in div 2 for Park ridge when they weren’t that great last year was never going to see blokes wanting to stick around, pay $400 and get pumped every week.

The old setup wasn’t perfect but at least clubs could find their level that worked for their club, rather than being forced to move up when they aren’t ready, just because AFLQ says they have to. Clubs are what pays the bills for AFLQ, they should work for the clubs not do something that has essentially destroyed a club after 5 years of hard work.

FAN THE MAN

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not to mention, they've now made a complete mockery of the Division 4 competition that looked to be thriving - essentially dumping the Div 2 Premiership side into the Division 4 competition.

Sure some of the Div 4 teams are 3rds sides, but there also senior teams in Division 4 or 5 trying to build their clubs and the competition they are in is now treated like a dumping ground for AFLQ to clubs that don't tow the line AFLQ wants.

Park Ridge will be far more dominant than any side Friday night has seen, and they had undefeated premiers 3 years in a row 2013-2014-2015. Park Ridge will not be to blame one bit either.

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Moreton Bay finished second a few years ago and then won the wooden spoon the year after in the same div. QLD footy is far too volatile with player movement and and retention each year for promotion relegation to work. Like you say, ressies in particular is a massive standard drop, most guys just want to have a kick with their mates and enjoy footy. Playing div 1 ressies after being in div 2 for Park ridge when they weren’t that great last year was never going to see blokes wanting to stick around, pay $400 and get pumped every week.

The old setup wasn’t perfect but at least clubs could find their level that worked for their club, rather than being forced to move up when they aren’t ready, just because AFLQ says they have to. Clubs are what pays the bills for AFLQ, they should work for the clubs not do something that has essentially destroyed a club after 5 years of hard work.

All very good points and no arguments with any of them. Just to balance the argument a bit though, if you don't have promotion/relegation is there a chance a club will "find their level" and dominate it for years? We need look no further than Maroochydore, they have found their level (found where they want to play) in Division 1 and have won the last 2 premierships, and who knows, with their significant resources, facilities and location could very well dominate for another 10 years. I'm sure footy fans, along with the AFLQ, don't want to see Div 2 or 3 clubs doing the same thing. It's been stated on here many times that maybe the Roos could be/should be playing in the QAFL, would that be a bad thing for either competition? It would certainly add some interest to both. I think the relegation/promotion system has some merit, but yes there needs to be some common sense applied to it somehow it seems, and definitely, a club needs to have 50 players ready and able to go up, not just 22.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back