QFA Div 4&5

FAN THE MAN

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s not clubs that talk themselves up . It dildo’s like fan the man ragging out higher divisions. Which riles everyone up!

not ragging them out, just giving an opinion based on watching a fair bit of footy in most divisions.

Longy and Tommo have just listed 10+ QAFL standard players running around for them, how many of those getting about in Div 3? not many...

Comes down to guys with a bit of ability who can't play Saturday end up in this league, which makes it stronger than it nominally should be. If they could play on sat, then they'd still be playing the top stuff.

Campbell, Stevens, Molan, Woods, Moore, McEvoy etc are all still QAFL standard players, and not just also rans - these are guys that have captained QAFL sides and won premierships, league medals etc. Throw in the older blokes like Hockley, Micca, Longy, Cash, Tommo, Enkera, Fuller, Cashy, Morrissey etc who can all still seriously play and would no doubt be very good senior players at any Div 2 or Div 3 club and the competition is really strong at the top end.

Mornsingside also had 3 or 4 blokes running around who are former State U/18s players and academy players, hell they had Ben McNeice running around who was nearly drafted only 3 years ago!

Don't get precious boys, just accept that due to circumstance - Div 4 at the top end is as good as, if not better than the bottom Saturday comp.

Last edited:

Blocker Roach

All Australian
Mar 14, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
First time poster, I coach Zillmere and after seeing so many terrific judges of footy comment on our club, thought I’d throw my opinion in.

First to those saying Zillmere would beat teams in div 2 or 3, the reality is there is no way to know without a game happening, and secondly not one person at Zillmere really cares. Having coached in div 3 as well there are differences between the comps that make it impossible to compare them any way.. training as someone pointed out at Zillmere is non compulsory, there is no time on also so fitness would be higher at div 3 level for sure. And someone mentioned Brick running rings around us, i would be confident Matty Stevens, Dan Campbell, Zac Molan or Alex Lushington who have all played senior QAFL not that long ago and are all under 30 still would more than keep up with him.

As for those saying we are full of blokes chasing easy flags, there is no such thing as an easy premiership. We are lucky at the moment to have a good group of players who are all good mates, most can’t commit to Saturday for and us older blokes have families and fridays work great for us. 2014 Zillmere didn’t even make finals but, things can turn around pretty quickly in either direction in terms of wins/losses, 2012 we didn’t even exist as a club. Long term the club would love to move back to Saturday footy in a higher grade, but off field we have a lot of work to do to make sure the club is strong enough to sustain two Saturday teams.

The reality is Friday nights are a huge attraction for players and it works for where we are at as a a club right now. Winning premierships is a terrific bonus but most of our guys just want to have a kick with mates and Friday’s suits our list. If we were told to move to Saturday footy tomorrow, we would lose most of our players (and coach!).

It’s unfair to the other clubs in our comp to paint us as a team who is miles in front any way. The woodies were one lucky bounce for us away from winning first final and every game against them this year was decided by under 10 points. They are a terrific side and great bunch of fellas who seem to operate like us, social footy players who like to win. Sandgate beat us twice through the year and were smashed with injuries in the gf. Jimboomba, Mayne and Maroochy will strengthen the comp this year as well, so we certainly will be doing our best to win again, but we know it’s not going to be given to us.

Any ways, they say your no one unless you are talked about so I guess we must be doing something right. All the best to all teams this year, look forward to a beer after and a laugh on the field this season.

Decent first post Longy
Good luck again in 2018

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are two teams that are consistent at this level.
Zillmere and woodsmen.
Zillmere are lucky enough to have most of there blokes coming back each year.
Put it down to Friday nite or Longy is doing a good job and they want to play under him.
Take your pick but I reckon both carry weight.
Would love to see Zillmere climb back up the levels.
But it was pointed out a lot of work to do off the field.
Getting ahead yourself when your not ready is a recipe for disaster.
Give them time and I'm sure Saturday footy is in the future.
Woodsmen have a few older quality players with a mix of new blokes every year.
They play for the enjoyment but make no mistake they want to win.
This shows everytime they take the field.
You know you've been in a game after playing both sides.
Premiships are not a given and when you are top of pack every week the opposition are hunting them down.
This makes them stronger every week.
A game hasn't been played so a lot of clubs could have changed their list.
It only takes 4 or 5 quality players to change the team in this division.
A lot of blokes love bagging clubs for trying to improve or having success.
But not many of them have had to do it from the inside.
Zillmere must be top of the pack.
Well they are the current premier's.
Good luck to both clubs and I will enjoy watching your progress again.

Mighty Pirates

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Geez Longy, did you get an FB ban and have to seek another platform for commenting?? ;) hope all is good mate, will have to catch up soon! Just think, you don’t have any Bribie, 7.30 Friday night games so ya gotta be happy about that!!! ;)

Feb 10, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Geez Longy, did you get an FB ban and have to seek another platform for commenting?? ;) hope all is good mate, will have to catch up soon! Just think, you don’t have any Bribie, 7.30 Friday night games so ya gotta be happy about that!!! ;)

I’m not up to date with who people are with their screen names on this wonderful forum. Maybe fill me in on who you are? I’ve been pretty quiet on the Facebook of late, getting old and less interested!

We are playing Bribie is a trial in a few weeks, good on them for getting a team in, Friday night footy is the hottest item since AFLW! Maroochy on a Friday night will be a mission for us heading up the Bruce, lots of our blokes work til 5pm in the city, will be a tough one to get to for a 6:30pm meeting, should be good though, glad we have more than 6 teams in the comp.

Salted peanut

Debutant
Dec 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maroochydore on a Friday will be crazy for everyone ! Maybe they could play out of Moreton bay to make it easier on everyone???

Spades

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Haven't been on here in a long time. Seems like nothing has changed. Everyone is soo nice to each other lol

Blocker Roach

All Australian
Mar 14, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
looks like most maroochy home games are on a saturday

Why put a Friday night team in only to play Saturdays? Will stretch umpiring fraternity even more than it is already.

So if Maroochydore home games are Saturdays what is the status of away games vs Jimboomba etc?

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why put a Friday night team in only to play Saturdays? Will stretch umpiring fraternity even more than it is already.

So if Maroochydore home games are Saturdays what is the status of away games vs Jimboomba etc?

Maroochydoore are happy to play Friday nights, but its logistically impossible for clubs to get up the Bruce Highway on time.

they were left without a comp to play in, we were happy to support them entering Div 4

Salted peanut

Debutant
Dec 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maroochydoore are happy to play Friday nights, but its logistically impossible for clubs to get up the Bruce Highway on time.

they were left without a comp to play in, we were happy to support them entering Div 4
It might be difficult for some clubs but it must be good having more teams in the comp ! Stand alone clubs compared to third grade teams should be able to play Saturday a bit easier ?

fatboy_15

Debutant
Mar 15, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks Ormeau football club for your hospitality last night
Great game and played in great spirit and the good crowd of spectators proved how good fri night footy is
Great to see the relationship between cararra and Ormeau strengthening
This is what community footy is about

Feb 10, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
We had a run against Bribie Island last night, was a tough game, their side is made up of a heap of young fellas who all have a crack. Their midfield had 2-3 excellent players, one who would be my tip to win league medal. Game got a little spicy at times but overall played in good spirits.

I don’t have too much idea of the level of many of the other teams in Div 5 but I’d think they would be a good chance at playing some finals footy.

Wild buck453247

Draftee
Mar 12, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I don't know where you heard they did not have a comp to play in from. The comp they played in 2017 is still the same comp. Just re named back to the wide bay league instead of Sunshine coast / wide bay. No idea why they decided to change leagues.

Back