Media Qhampion Data's Club Power Rankings - Rank 11 to 12 Complete

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
509195_79fde352f5e450698492d07ef38dba68.png

Every season, we see clubs surge to the very top and dip to the very bottom. We see claims of greatness, and calls for folding. Usually a subjective task, I have decided to attempt to quantify the strength of the league's 12 clubs and determine a ranking system based on both playing and posting.

How does it work?
I will be using a popular rating system known as Elo, most notably used in chess, tennis and association football. Elo primarily takes into account the strength of two opponents, and the margin of victory, rather than any universal points system for winning a match. The Demons flogging the Royals, for example, would not impact either club's Elo very much, but if the Dragons knocked off the Bears it would have a decent impact on the rating. Elo ratings typically start at 1500, with higher scores indicating a stronger team.

I won't reveal the formula I am using, but the playing side of the ratings will obviously work off the result of the game and the winning margin. There is also a small element of home ground advantage in the sim, and so this is taken into account in the formula as well. For the posting side of things, I have decided that the number of posters is a far better indication of posting strength than pure numbers. The 'margin' in this case is the difference between the number of posters, albeit adjusted to have similar values to playing margins. There is no reward for higher posting numbers however I have penalised excessively low numbers.

I will be determining separate Elo ratings for both playing and posting stats and combining the two to determine the overall Power Rankings. Playing and posting will have equal weight, despite the usual emphasis on posting. At the end of the day, we are here to play in a fantasy football league, and I wanted the rankings to reflect that.

How will it be released?
The rankings will be released over the next 4 nights, with 3 clubs each night. I will reveal the club's Elo rating for playing and posting, and provide an insight into how they have fluctuated across the season. At the end of each round, I will re-update the rankings in a single post and hopefully continue it into next season as well, as the data input is relatively simple.

Hope you all enjoy.

Last edited:

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
THE SWEET FA CLUB POWER RANKINGS
Overall
Rich (BB code):
Pos  Club                  Elo
  1  -                     -
  2  -                     -
  3  -                     -
  4  -                     -
  5  -                     -
  6  -                     -
  7  -                     -
  8  -                     -
  9  -                     -
 10  -                     -
 11  Coney Island Warriors 1344
 12  Dragons FFC           1180

Playing
Rich (BB code):
  4  Coney Island Warriors 1554
 10  -                     -
 11  -                     -
 12  Dragons FFC           1267

Posting
Rich (BB code):
  4  -                     -
 10  Coney Island Warriors 1133
 11  Dragons FFC           1092
 12  -                     -

Links
11th - Coney Island Warriors
12th - Dragons FFC

Last edited:

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1

I will be releasing them from 12 to 1, so yes, the rankings will initially be reversed.

Preserved.

Unless a mod deletes it!

Rehearsed

I have had the idea for this thread for a while now, and I've been messing with the formula enough that I'm confident. Certainly plenty of rehearsal.

The idea is that the numbers behind the ranking are sound, and deserved.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Back