QLD Government commits funding for GC17 stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a sour puss just like the rest of the whinging RL supporters...

They talk of not voting for Labour and supporting LP because of their hatred for Aussie Rules :rolleyes:

They can't see the bigger picture for QLD, creating jobs, bringing in more people to spend $, helping out with future events ...etc

When the new RL/Soccer stadium was announced down here at Melbourne and financed by local government etc no Aussie Rules supporter cried foul, why because we are not intimidated by other codes and are not as fickle as them...

You have hit the nail on the head there about Rugby League supporters. It is something that has puzzled me for years, their obsessive hatred of other sports, even rugby union.
Before moving to Qld, i wasn't aware of this odd behaviour. For instance, i had little interest in rugby league but would occasionally watch a match on TV. When i became bored with it, i just watched something else. If some one wanted to watch it that is their business. However, rugby league supporters have some peculiar hatred of other sports, including Australian Rules football, that turns them into raving lunatics (like our troll friend who comes on here).
And what does it achieve? Absolutely nothing.
:confused:
I've been trying to work it our for years. Followers of no other sport do it.
It also works against them, as people are completely put off their game, by their idiotic abusive behaviour.
If anyone can explain it i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

You have hit the nail on the head there about Rugby League supporters. It is something that has puzzled me for years, their obsessive hatred of other sports, even rugby union.

It has something to do with the fact that Sydney-siders are constantly told Sydney has the best attractions therefore is the best and Sydney is synominous with Australia .They can't handle any contradictions .
The RU/rl war has existed since the creation of rl and has only deepened as it still is a major threat but Queenslanders don't hold nearly the same hatred .

In other words: 'No; I was telling porky pies'.

:rolleyes:
No, it means I can't be ****ed looking for a link to a story I read a week ago because some w***er troll on Big Footy wants it.

The announcement happened AFTER negotiations with the AFL. Unless you are an idiot, you can safely assume that means the AFL has agreed to the terms of the deal. I read an article somewhere right when the deal was announced that had both of them discussing the deal and how good it is. However, I can't be ****ed looking for that specific article. Anyway, a quick google news search shows this, Demetriou talking about it like it is accepted:

"The Queensland government in office at the moment was very kind in agreeing to contribute $60 million to the stadium at Carrara," Demetriou said on Thursday.
"But all along we have said we will work with any government."
"This stadium is not about bringing a football team to the Gold Coast, it's about creating 400 jobs in construction and it's about delivering a huge economic impact - about $34 million in tourism."
"We know that a football club can contribute significant community benefits and they are the sorts of things that from south-east Queensland's perspective are really significant."

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/demetriou-carrara-upgrade-still-on-67120

If you want more than that, sorry, but I just don't care enough. :rolleyes:

No, it means I can't be ****ed looking for a link to a story I read a week ago because some w***er troll on Big Footy wants it.

Seems you can 'be ****ed'. :p

Thanks for the effort, BTW. :thumbsu:

The announcement happened AFTER negotiations with the AFL. Unless you are an idiot, you can safely assume that means the AFL has agreed to the terms of the deal. I read an article somewhere right when the deal was announced that had both of them discussing the deal and how good it is. However, I can't be ****ed looking for that specific article. Anyway, a quick google news search shows this, Demetriou talking about it like it is accepted:

Aaaaah, I see. You simply assume that the AFL have agreed to Bligh's terms.

Recall that my original question was 'Have the AFL actually come out and agreed to Bligh's terms?'. Seems that they haven't.

Nothing in that quote you took from that article states otherwise.

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/demetriou-carrara-upgrade-still-on-67120

If you want more than that, sorry, but I just don't care enough. :rolleyes:

Nah, that is okay, you have confirmed my original theory: the AFL have yet to even accept Bligh's terms.

Does anyone have a link to a picture to what the stadium should look like after it's finished?

carrara4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the Federal Government will be announcing their share of funding for the redeveloped Gold Coast stadium this week. Shame that it appears the rapid transport links for the Gold Coast will miss out. What are the public transport options for the new stadium. Shuttle buses, I assume. How efficient are they based on past experience?

Feds to scrub rapid transit
Geoff Chambers
April 12th, 2009

THE Federal Government will scrub the Gold Coast's $1.67 billion rapid transit system from the final Infrastructure Australia list next week.

Federal Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese will make the announcement at the Carrara AFL stadium site within a week.

Sources have told The Bulletin Mr Albanese will confirm the delivery of $40 million for the $130 million stadium but will offer only token support for the rapid transit system.

Fierce lobbying is continuing behind the scenes, with hopes there could be last-minute changes to the infrastructure list.

The rapid transit system was identified last month as the city's priority infrastructure project at The Bulletin's Rescue Patrol '09 summit.

Even Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell Newman has backed the crucial Gold Coast light rail network.

The Council of Mayors chairman said the consensus of southeast Queensland mayors was that the rapid transit system was a priority project.

Cr Newman said the southeast corner was the fastest-growing region in Australia and deserved its fair piece of the pie.

"Better connections across the region's economic centres will maximise efficiency, productivity and employment," said Cr Newman.

"Public transport projects like the Eastern Busway and Gold Coast rapid transit are crucial to meeting future economic challenges."

Cr Newman, who has been contacted by Mr Albanese about the likelihood of funding for Brisbane's $2.6 billion Northern Link tunnel, said he backed the State Government push to win the federal grants from the $12.6 billion Building Australia infrastructure fund.

The State Government is seeking an $850 million contribution for the rapid transit system, which was included in a shortlist of 94 projects released in December.

Premier Anna Bligh and new Transport Minister Rachel Nolan will sit down with Mayor Ron Clarke and councillors on Wednesday to outline the State Government's long-term commitment to the rapid transit project.

The State Government is holding out hope that the project will still get federal infrastructure backing but sources have told The Bulletin that the rapid transit system has missed out.

"The minister is coming up next week to announce it at the AFL stadium and I don't think it will be good news," said one.

"I think it'll be a case of 'we'll give you the AFL money' but sorry, the rapid transit is a State Government project."

The shortlist is expected to be trimmed back to an estimated 20 to 30 projects.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/04/12/68515_gold-coast-top-story.html

So they expect to spend $130m on the stadium.

$60m from QLD gov
$40m from Fed gov

How much cash was the council chipping in? I recall reading something about them handing over the land, which is worth a bit, but how much cash are they throwing in?

Seems you can 'be ****ed'. :p

Thanks for the effort, BTW. :thumbsu:

Aaaaah, I see. You simply assume that the AFL have agreed to Bligh's terms.

Recall that my original question was 'Have the AFL actually come out and agreed to Bligh's terms?'. Seems that they haven't.

Nothing in that quote you took from that article states otherwise.

Nah, that is okay, you have confirmed my original theory: the AFL have yet to even accept Bligh's terms.

Oh FFS. Give it a rest will ya. :rolleyes:

"We signed a binding contract with the [Queensland] state government [on Tuesday], we need the [Gold Coast] council to reach agreement with the state on a couple of issues, and we're awaiting a decision from the Federal Government around a $40m piece of funding that's been flagged from them."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/75000/default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back