Qualified for Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

#23 Hill

Premium Platinum
Jan 22, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last season Richmond finished the home & away season in 7th spot with 13 wins. The Dogs finished 8th with 12 wins.

Collingwood and Port have now qualified for this year's finals with 13 wins each.

Congratulations on qualifying. I'm extremely happy for you.

And should Collingwood win on Fri night, it is highly likely that they could lose their last 7 games and still end up with the double chance in the finals with only 14 wins.

They will be 5 games and % ahead of 5th spot with 7 games to play.

And should Collingwood win on Fri night, it is highly likely that they could lose their last 7 games and still end up with the double chance in the finals with only 14 wins.

Probably will, yes. Still haven't officially qualified for anything. Thread is premature.

Have a look at the state of these clubs when they think making finals is the time to break out the champagne.

But I guess we are talking about the club with the most losses in a GF and the club who has lost by the biggest margin.

Both Collingwood and Port can still technically miss finals if results went in certain ways. Despite it being a foregone conclusion, you can only "qualify" for finals when there is no mathmatical possibility of missing.

View attachment 1727965
Look, you're a sophisticated guy. So I'll ask you, how many wins do we need to say "we've qualified"?

Look, you're a sophisticated guy. So I'll ask you, how many wins do we need to say "we've qualified"?
It depends on other results as well.

Collingwood on 13 wins are currently 5.5 wins ahead of 9th spot Geelong (7.5 wins). With 8 games left, 9th spot can only reach a maximum of 15.5 wins so Collingwood would need 16 wins (3 more) to definitely finish above Geelong. However, this doesn't factor in all of the other teams and games (including games between teams around the bottom of the 8 and just outside of it) which mean Collingwood probably could lose all 8 from here and still make it quite easily given their %.

That's just not confirmed as yet given they can still fall out of the 8 if all results go a certain way (as shown by my ladder predictor which proves it is possible, even though it is extremely unlikely the the point of being almost impossible). Point is, you haven't "qualified" until it is actually 100% impossible to miss.

On the flip side, West Coast are exactly 8 games outside of the top 8 but it is 100% impossible for them to make finals due to other games which mean at least one team positioned 8th or lower finishes with more than 36 points (the max West Coast can achieve).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends on other results as well.

Collingwood on 13 wins are currently 5.5 wins ahead of 9th spot Geelong (7.5 wins). With 8 games left, 9th spot can only reach a maximum of 15.5 wins so Collingwood would need 16 wins (3 more) to definitely finish above Geelong. However, this doesn't factor in all of the other teams and games (including games between teams around the bottom of the 8 and just outside of it) which mean Collingwood probably could lose all 8 from here and still make it quite easily given their %.

That's just not confirmed as yet given they can still fall out of the 8 if all results go a certain way (as shown by my ladder predictor which proves it is possible, even though it is extremely unlikely the the point of being almost impossible). Point is, you haven't "qualified" until it is actually 100% impossible to miss.
Thank you for that comprehensive response. It seems like pedantry around the word qualified is going to be in play for a few more weeks.

Look, you're a sophisticated guy.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Pretty sure they will win, the dogs are playing better footy in patches but vulnerable to good ball movement and I'm not sure we have a defensive gameplan or the cattle to stop the pies the way they're playing right now. Maybe if we brain them in the midfield and dominate CP, clearance, inside 50s etc. but a lot would need to go right.

That they would be five games ahead of fifth, with obviously one of dees or saints losing as well given they play each other, does show that the top three are pretty clearly ahead of the rest at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back