Preview Qualifying Final 1, 2021 - Melbourne Demons vs Brisbane Lions @Adelaide Oval, Saturday 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this weekend is yet another important milestone for our club. 2019 was bliss for the club and I think I spent the entire finals series pinching myself. Never had a straight sets exit felt so graceful. At the end of that GWS game, a massive portion of the crowd stayed back to cheer Chris Fagan off. Whilst a lot of the AFL world had written us off as a flash in the pan who couldn’t take it up to the big boys, we knew the truth, we’d arrived, and we’d be here for a while. Questions were asked about how “Charlie Centric” our forward line was and whether recruits like McCarthy could continue to play football uninjured, was McCluggage ready to take the next step? Could Lachie join that upper echelon of midfielders?

Flash forward to 2020. Again, another finals series after finishing in the top 4. Way more expectations this time after we’d potentially locked in the opportunity to play all our finals games at the Gabba. Qualifying final, against the best team in the comp, and we jump them. All is right with the world as all we need to do is take out an ageing Geelong team in the prelim to secure a home grand final, perhaps our only ever home grand final. Unfortunately on that day, our midfield got bullied by a bigger, scarier, meaner midfield, and the rest was history.

This weekend marks our third consecutive finals series and more amazingly, our third consecutive qualifying final. After our start to the year, and our sudden drop off at the backend of the season, I think we can say we’re a bit luckier this year to be in this position. Even though we’ve finished slightly lower this season, I actually think we’ve played our most complete football this year. Our forward line is just fantastic, we’ve absolutely improved out of sight since 2019. Our midfield, although not as strong as the top band of teams, gets the job done most of the time, and our defence looks look when the midfield is doing its job. We’re officially a very good football team though, and it is hard to fathom just how far we’ve come under Chris Fagan. All in all, we’re a strong team that are perhaps prone to some lapses against very powerful midfield units who move the ball very fast.

It is unfortunate then, that we come up against a team with a very powerful midfield unit who can move the ball very fast. Unfortunately, this team can also lock the game down defensively and have enough firepower on their own to put on the score they need to win games. Melbourne are a very, very deserving first placed team, and have spent this season emphatically responding to the hard questions asked of them. The Adelaide Crows aren’t in this finals series, so Melbourne fans have every reason to be confident that this could be their year.

I unfortunately don’t have the football knowledge to give anything more in depth than a milquetoast run through of Melbourne’s prospects, but let’s just cover the obvious points.

• Petracca, Oliver and Gawn are the most damaging midfield trio in the competition. I genuinely don’t think we win if they all get on top of us at the same time.
  • Melbourne’s 18 team defence is the best in the league.
  • Steven May is a thug.
  • You can literally never write Melbourne off this season. They don’t seem intimidated at all by winning a game from behind.
Over the past couple of years, we’ve been jumped by strong midfield groups. This is yet another opportunity for us to test ourselves against the best, and I think our boys will absolutely relish the chance to write the wrongs of the Geelong game of last season. We have played some incredible football this year and I think Fagan will have us ready to fire from the first bounce this week. We will need to be to beat an extremely talented Melbourne team. Whenever I feel a bit uneasy about this weekend, I do think back to that Richmond game last year. We’ve shown we can bring our best in finals, the next step is to do it consistently across an entire finals series. That starts this week, and I’m glad we get first crack at the best team in the competition now.

For us, our entire midfield has to fire to neutralise Melbourne in the middle. We’ve got a few extra pieces now, and I think an in form Berry actually changes the dynamic quite a bit. I think this could be his opportunity to really remind people why at one point, he was tracking faster than McCluggage.

If we can get the ball into our very dynamic and dangerous forward line enough, I think we can kick a winning score. This game is a classic “best defence vs best offence” kind of game and we could really see some fireworks emerge from it. Cockatoo has added another dimension to our forward line and I’m excited to see what he can do this finals series.

Nights like Saturday are the kinds of nights we’d make up in our heads when we were 10 goals down to a much stronger opponent on a Sunday afternoon in the darker years. We are truly privileged to have seen our young team grow each year, and Saturday will be yet another step on the journey. We can take comfort in the fact that our opponents have undergone a similar, arguably even more painful, journey. No matter what happens this weekend, I think we can take solace in the fact that a group of fans who watched their team mainly s**t it up throughout the 2010’s can finally watch their team come out of the darkness and win some football games.

Another big challenge for us this week against a football team primed to attack our weaknesses. If there’s anything to take away from our team since 2016, it’s that we treat every game as a learning opportunity. I’m excited to see what we’ve learnt since our last clash against Melbourne, and I’m excited to see another chapter written in the story of one of the best Lions teams we’ve ever had the privilege to watch.

Lions by 10.

I think this weekend is yet another important milestone for our club. 2019 was bliss for the club and I think I spent the entire finals series pinching myself. Never had a straight sets exit felt so graceful. At the end of that GWS game, a massive portion of the crowd stayed back to cheer Chris Fagan off. Whilst a lot of the AFL world had written us off as a flash in the pan who couldn’t take it up to the big boys, we knew the truth, we’d arrived, and we’d be here for a while. Questions were asked about how “Charlie Centric” our forward line was and whether recruits like McCarthy could continue to play football uninjured, was McCluggage ready to take the next step? Could Lachie join that upper echelon of midfielders?

Flash forward to 2020. Again, another finals series after finishing in the top 4. Way more expectations this time after we’d potentially locked in the opportunity to play all our finals games at the Gabba. Qualifying final, against the best team in the comp, and we jump them. All is right with the world as all we need to do is take out an ageing Geelong team in the prelim to secure a home grand final, perhaps our only ever home grand final. Unfortunately on that day, our midfield got bullied by a bigger, scarier, meaner midfield, and the rest was history.

This weekend marks our third consecutive finals series and more amazingly, our third consecutive qualifying final. After our start to the year, and our sudden drop off at the backend of the season, I think we can say we’re a bit luckier this year to be in this position. Even though we’ve finished slightly lower this season, I actually think we’ve played our most complete football this year. Our forward line is just fantastic, we’ve absolutely improved out of sight since 2019. Our midfield, although not as strong as the top band of teams, gets the job done most of the time, and our defence looks look when the midfield is doing its job. We’re officially a very good football team though, and it is hard to fathom just how far we’ve come under Chris Fagan. All in all, we’re a strong team that are perhaps prone to some lapses against very powerful midfield units who move the ball very fast.

It is unfortunate then, that we come up against a team with a very powerful midfield unit who can move the ball very fast. Unfortunately, this team can also lock the game down defensively and have enough firepower on their own to put on the score they need to win games. Melbourne are a very, very deserving first placed team, and have spent this season emphatically responding to the hard questions asked of them. The Adelaide Crows aren’t in this finals series, so Melbourne fans have every reason to be confident that this could be their year.

I unfortunately don’t have the football knowledge to give anything more in depth than a milquetoast run through of Melbourne’s prospects, but let’s just cover the obvious points.

• Petracca, Oliver and Gawn are the most damaging midfield trio in the competition. I genuinely don’t think we win if they all get on top of us at the same time.
  • Melbourne’s 18 team defence is the best in the league.
  • Steven May is a thug.
  • You can literally never write Melbourne off this season. They don’t seem intimidated at all by winning a game from behind.
Over the past couple of years, we’ve been jumped by strong midfield groups. This is yet another opportunity for us to test ourselves against the best, and I think our boys will absolutely relish the chance to write the wrongs of the Geelong game of last season. We have played some incredible football this year and I think Fagan will have us ready to fire from the first bounce this week. We will need to be to beat an extremely talented Melbourne team. Whenever I feel a bit uneasy about this weekend, I do think back to that Richmond game last year. We’ve shown we can bring our best in finals, the next step is to do it consistently across an entire finals series. That starts this week, and I’m glad we get first crack at the best team in the competition now.

For us, our entire midfield has to fire to neutralise Melbourne in the middle. We’ve got a few extra pieces now, and I think an in form Berry actually changes the dynamic quite a bit. I think this could be his opportunity to really remind people why at one point, he was tracking faster than McCluggage.

If we can get the ball into our very dynamic and dangerous forward line enough, I think we can kick a winning score. This game is a classic “best defence vs best offence” kind of game and we could really see some fireworks emerge from it. Cockatoo has added another dimension to our forward line and I’m excited to see what he can do this finals series.

Nights like Saturday are the kinds of nights we’d make up in our heads when we were 10 goals down to a much stronger opponent on a Sunday afternoon in the darker years. We are truly privileged to have seen our young team grow each year, and Saturday will be yet another step on the journey. We can take comfort in the fact that our opponents have undergone a similar, arguably even more painful, journey. No matter what happens this weekend, I think we can take solace in the fact that a group of fans who watched their team mainly sh*t it up throughout the 2010’s can finally watch their team come out of the darkness and win some football games.

Another big challenge for us this week against a football team primed to attack our weaknesses. If there’s anything to take away from our team since 2016, it’s that we treat every game as a learning opportunity. I’m excited to see what we’ve learnt since our last clash against Melbourne, and I’m excited to see another chapter written in the story of one of the best Lions teams we’ve ever had the privilege to watch.

Lions by 10.

The perfect preview doesn't exi-

😍

B: Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Brandon Starcevich
HB: Daniel Rich, Marcus Adams, Grant Birchall
C: Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Mitch Robinson
HF: Lincoln McCarthy, Dan McStay, Dayne Zorko
F: Charlie Cameron, Joe Daniher, Tom Fullarton
Foll: Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons
I/C: Keidean Coleman, Zac Bailey, Callum Ah Chee, Nakia Cockatoo
Emerg: Ryan Lester, Rhys Mathieson, Tom Berry, Connor Ballenden

In:
Mitch Robinson, Harris Andrews
Out: Jaxon Prior, Ryan Lester

UNAVAILABLE:
Cam Rayner (knee), Eric Hipwood (knee)

NOTES: With Andrews and Robinson coming back from minor niggles, the biggest headache for Chris Fagan and his match committee is who makes way at the defensive end. Melbourne generally plays with three tall forwards, Bayley Fritsch as a hybrid and a small brigade led by Kysaiah Pickett. Although the Lions play a zone, they need a balanced backline to combat this. In Andrews, Adams and Gardiner, the three talls are in place, meaning either Ryan Lester or Keidean Coleman are likely to be the unlucky omission. Lester is a nice match for Fritsch and would be a worthy retention, but Coleman's combination of creativity and the lockdown ability he's shown in recent weeks might just add a touch of flexibility. It's a line-ball call. - Michael Whiting

Good looking 22. Does feel like one of Lester or Coleman is gonna have to hear they won't be playing Saturday. Would personally have Birch out before either but don't expect him at all not be named. Hopefully we see him rise up and remind us of his finals experience and he plays a great game.

nice preview, thanks.

I'm not that worried by Melbourne. I'm not that worried by their Lever/May combo. the Melbourne backline will be giving away lots of marking height against Mcstay, Daniher, Fullarton and Big O. Added to that is our "best for his size" mark, Linc.
I'd be saying to all our mids, if you get it kick long.

His versatility has always made him a great option for the sub. Didn't he get the nickname Froggy due to amount of times he wore the green vest?

Rohan Bewick got nicknamed Kermit for the same reason.

Re: Melbourne's mids, Petracca: Hardly touched the ball against Geelong - could be due, maybe not. Oliver: Has been the best player in the comp. this season - if we can limit his influence even fractionally, it will be a victory for us. Gawn: Played a very ordinary first half last week, and then in the last quarter said, "This is my footy, and none of you lot are going to touch it." Apparently, Mcinerney is his least favourite opponent - because Oscar follows him wherever he goes, throughout the entire game. If we can at least draw a couple of these contests, it will give us a real chance.

Last edited:
Really nice preview. Covered off the football specific and emotional issues for Lions fans.

For me this is a champion team versus a team of champions (more so a champion following division versus a group of champion midfielders) game. On paper Melbourne has the sort of midfield group that has caused us problems in big matches. They have “stars”. We have very good players. We need our mid field to match and counter them. The development of Bailey and return to form and fitness of Neale and Berry gives us greater depth. Melbourne’s pressure around the contest can be extreme, as a group we need to match this effort.

Forward group (in fact whole team) needs to ensure Fullerton keeps his head up. Remind him he is our best option in the role at the moment and every time he contests it is contributing to overall team success. Really hope the lad goes well.

Pace of ball movement out of Melbourne defence on the turn over is my biggest worry. I think we lost the last game against them in the second quarter when they score three goals even though we were dominating possession and couldn’t put them away.

still not convinced we have a premiership side but fingers crossed we pinch this one.

Future looks rosy GO LIONS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great preview BRAB
Think playing at a neutral venue will be a help to our side but should not inconvenience Melbourne too much
I believe with both teams playing away it gives us a 2 goal advantage. Which makes 1 v 4 a bit more of an even contest

The media has played the "best scoring v best defense" angle but in reality it is 1st v 4th so not much between them in both categories
Average game points for......: Lions 97 to Demons 86 so 11 points difference say 2 goals
Average game points against: Lions 73 to Demons 66 so 7 points difference say 1 goal

It has been a long hard year for all AFL players.
These last few games will be as much about coping mentally as football ability
Hope our guys are switched on and get the job done
Lions by as many as it takes

nice preview, thanks.

I'm not that worried by Melbourne. I'm not that worried by their Lever/May combo. the Melbourne backline will be giving away lots of marking height against Mcstay, Daniher, Fullarton and Big O. Added to that is our "best for his size" mark, Linc.
I'd be saying to all our mids, if you get it kick long.
Hipwood always tore May a new one when we played the Dee's. You'd think May would monster him but Hipwood always went up a few gears. He's a huge loss for this one. Overall, I can't see a way how we win this game. Dee's are just too strong in the midfield and down back. Amazing team they have.

Great right up Brabus.

I remember reading Leigh Matthews opinion on our threepeat. He said lots of luck has to go your ay to win one. Dogs losing, us winning all in the dying seconds of the games... thats luck. Probably the team with LEAST pressure in the top 4. Theres more pressure on the dogs at 5th. This plus the luck again of not playing infront of 80,000 plus screaming dees fans at the G we just got to do what we got to do. If we can just play our intense damaging best football we win. Head says Dees still, but does the pressure of finishing 1st dry their mouths, increase their heart beat, create fumbles.... Zorko with 10 plus tackles. Probably the first Qualifying final where I am not freaking out.

Hello guys. Good luck. One of the things that I think is in your favour is that Melbourne has gone into the finals with shaky form and has little finals experience.

Reckon this will be a real close one. Best of luck to all - if the Dees don't win the whole thing I'd rather it be the Lions.

Hello guys. Good luck. One of the things that I think is in your favour is that Melbourne has gone into the finals with shaky form and has little finals experience.

Also just here to express my bewilderment at the above. If 'shaky form' is 'winning the last four on the trot', then I wish the Dees had shown shaky form more often in the last decade.

Was reading the preview, brilliant by the way BRAB:thumbsu: very serious honest reading then in among it all was one little line....."Steven May is a thug."

I burst out laughing, loved it, so true!:laughv1:

Will have to put Robbo and bring in Matho to go either side of him. Knock the punk out when he thinks he's tough.(legally of course, you know, purely accidently in the course of play)

Great right up Brabus.

I remember reading Leigh Matthews opinion on our threepeat. He said lots of luck has to go your ay to win one. Dogs losing, us winning all in the dying seconds of the games... thats luck. Probably the team with LEAST pressure in the top 4. Theres more pressure on the dogs at 5th. This plus the luck again of not playing infront of 80,000 plus screaming dees fans at the G we just got to do what we got to do. If we can just play our intense damaging best football we win. Head says Dees still, but does the pressure of finishing 1st dry their mouths, increase their heart beat, create fumbles.... Zorko with 10 plus tackles. Probably the first Qualifying final where I am not freaking out.
Wait till Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back