Review Qualifying Final 1, 2021 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fullarton never again.

A bit hard on Fullarton, I think.

Truth is he's being called on to play a part that he's not yet ready to do, because he's considered to be the best option.

In normal circumstances I'd expect him to spend another year or two honing his talents in the Ressies, but due to injuries, and possibly poor depth recruiting by the club, he's had to step up. Given time, he has the potential to be a star.

60, 125, 142, 118, 80, 120 and 86

These are our scores since Fullarton replaced Hipwood

yeah I'd scratch 60 off the list.
That was with Berry playing second tall. Scraping the barrel there.

I think the issue is Berry is the expectations that have come with him. His first few years gave us the impression he would become a superstar of the competition, but since then his form has dropped considerably to the point he is almost depth at this point. I like berry a lot, but I'm also saddened by how much he has regressed. I personally would keep him in next week given he wasn't the worst player out there, but I'm not going into the game expecting him to win it for us, because he isn't that player. And if he is, he hasn't shown it in years.
You think there is giant expectation on a player that has had injury riddled season and he’s just going to come back in the squad and set the world on fire and meet those expectations? I don’t have those expectations …. I thought he played well last week considering his interrupted season. I feel he could have given us a similar game had he not been thrown forward and not done the job he was meant to do.

Fullarton never again.

I deplore this type of comment.

I've seen the likes of it so many times over the last 20 years on this Forum, invariably after a disappointing loss

Delist player A; player B should never be selected again; Player C is a total spud.

Pick on a fringe player and make him the scapegoat.

It's so tiresome.

You really hope our players don't read some of the tripe that gets posted here

Love these.... this is the full video extended on from Mitch's false retirement gag on the boys that was posted a few days ago >

I know this is not a popular opinion but I would not have been unhappy if this season was Robbo's last. That said, I dont think he has cost the club any significant amount of $ but he still takes away another list spot.

I know this is not a popular opinion but I would not have been unhappy if this season was Robbo's last. That said, I dont think he has cost the club any significant amount of $ but he still takes away another list spot.
His bomb kicks didn't help us at all once McStay wasn't playing and we replaced him with Berry. Why we didn't use low entries when we were under pressure with the forward structure we had I don't know.

His bomb kicks didn't help us at all once McStay wasn't playing and we replaced him with Berry. Why we didn't use low entries when we were under pressure with the forward structure we had I don't know.
The social media push from Robbo gives a false account of how popular he is in the playing group....not saying he isn't well liked but he is not much different to most of the list. His physical presence out on the field is his biggest asset to the team and at the moment, nobody comes close to the same aggression he brings to every game.

Can see this although has hardness and gets others up when he firing when he on song.
Although hack kicks and is the same speed as most of our mids can be a disadvantage.

Also not helped with injuries if Sharp was fit you wonder if he was playing.. Then Rayner been out
J Berry not played much.
Although Dev, Prior, Kiddy are where we putting faith in as long term.

We do have a lot of up and down confidence players which is why we are so up and down.
You need half the team as solid players which I think we struggle to get to some weeks.

I'm listening to The Roar Deal and Zorks was really interesting re what went wrong in this game, well worth a listen.

He thought we were too serious about the game and not just having fun as a group.
Too worried about the Demons strengths rather than playing to ours.
He said we were a shadow of the team we really are.
Defensively we were really poor.
Nakia was rattled about Dan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm listening to The Roar Deal and Zorks was really interesting re what went wrong in this game, well worth a listen.

He thought we were too serious about the game and not just having fun as a group.
Nakia being rattled about Dan is a really good insight that I had never thought about - very understandable.

It's funny when the camera panned down the 2 teams at the start of the game I said then that I was worried. Melbourne looked ready, but relaxed. On the other hand we looked angry, stern and almost too intense if that makes sense. I guess it's a fine line between being mentally ready and over cooked but the difference between the teams was stark.

It just didn't feel right to me for some reason, so it's really interesting he says that because it's exactly how it looked.

It also doesn't surprise me about Nakia either after listening to him on the roar deal a couple of weeks ago. He seemed really friendly and caring about those around him. Says a bit about him actually that he was rattled.

This is the one that annoys me most to be honest. Sure you've got to tactically manage their strengths in some ways, and McStay being out heightened their defensive prowess.. But you have to do it like Big O. He obviously planned some things, but mainly just played really hard.

Sure we now know better, and if we make it through the final series, will be be better off for it and ensure we don't make the same mistake? We thought we would learn from the Melbourne match earlier in the year as well.

This is the one that annoys me most to be honest. Sure you've got to tactically manage their strengths in some ways, and McStay being out heightened their defensive prowess.. But you have to do it like Big O. He obviously planned some things, but mainly just played really hard.

Sure we now know better, and if we make it through the final series, will be be better off for it and ensure we don't make the same mistake? We thought we would learn from the Melbourne match earlier in the year as well.
All of these things are just excuses.

Taking it too seriously is a new one.

Let's just go out and have fun so we can play better.

This is our 6th final in 3 years coming up , so we should be ready to start winning some of them.

I think we were a bit banged up and got outplayed last week by a better team . That's it in a nutshell . We lack the firepower of their mids , played injured players in our backline and our forward structure fell apart a little when McStay went off so early. All up not good enough on the night.

I think the issue is Berry is the expectations that have come with him. His first few years gave us the impression he would become a superstar of the competition, but since then his form has dropped considerably to the point he is almost depth at this point. I like berry a lot, but I'm also saddened by how much he has regressed. I personally would keep him in next week given he wasn't the worst player out there, but I'm not going into the game expecting him to win it for us, because he isn't that player. And if he is, he hasn't shown it in years.
As Jarrod is only providing depth and Tom can’t get a game happy to bring them to the bombers mate. As they are now only depth players I assume a 3rd pick will do the trick.

All of these things are just excuses.

Taking it too seriously is a new one.

Let's just go out and have fun so we can play better.

This is our 6th final in 3 years coming up , so we should be ready to start winning some of them.

I think we were a bit banged up and got outplayed last week by a better team . That's it in a nutshell . We lack the firepower of their mids , played injured players in our backline and our forward structure fell apart a little when McStay went off so early. All up not good enough on the night.

Those sound like excuses

Back