Review Qualifying Final 1, 2021 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He was absolutely brilliant , tried his heart out , needed a few more Ike him .
I think when a guy gets 45 touches he has played well, however, I feel there is a lehitimate criticism in that having so much of the ball he didn't cut them up. A lot of no-look, dump kicks forward and backward handballs and not a lot of creative offensive play from Neale tonight. Very little hard defensive running either.

If Neale getting 45 touches is the answer, maybe we are asking tje wrong question.

I think when a guy gets 45 touches he has played well, however, I feel there is a lehitimate criticism in that having so much of the ball he didn't cut them up. A lot of no-look, dump kicks forward and backward handballs and not a lot of creative offensive play from Neale tonight. Very little hard defensive running either.

If Neale getting 45 touches is the answer, maybe we are asking tje wrong question.

Ridiculous

He had twice as many groundball gets as the next. Would you rather Oliver and Petracca won more of the footy?

Get a clue

I don't know what Joe was thinking with that dinky kick but how in the Hell was that called 15?

Umpire punished Joe for being Joe.

No other solution possible.

This is what drives me bats about AFL umpires.

It's beyond doubt that their decision making is influenced by perceptions about players.

The likes of Selwood, Bont, Gawn and Buddy invariable get special consideration.

I admire and respect Gawn but has there been a player in living memory who is as immune to the HTB rule as him?

Similarly, there are the MRobbo's and Toby Greene's of this world who could be decapitated and still not get a free.

Umpire punished Joe for being Joe.

No other solution possible.

This is what drives me bats about AFL umpires.

It's beyond doubt that their decision making is influenced by perceptions about players.

The likes of Selwood, Bont, Gawn and Buddy invariable get special consideration.

I admire and respect Gawn but has there been a player in living memory who is as immune to the HTB rule as him?

Similarly, there are the MRobbo's and Toby Greene's of this world who could be decapitated and still not get a free.

I commend Mitch on his restraint for not being awarded that front on contact call. I would have smashed them.

Be interesting to see who makes way. We were worried it would be Kiddy but surely can’t happen after tonight.

Gardiner might be the option
No way Coleman is out, coaches must back him in that defensive role and not chop and change him, and he will gain more confidence and get better. Showed tonight he is arguably at this moment a better kick than Birchall. I thought his game was good.
I have just looked at the Lions webpage for player stats for 2021 season averages between Payne and Lester, and keeping in mind that most weeks Lester gets the 4th, 5th or 6th opposition forward, and a few uncontested marks, there is not a lot of difference...I know stats can be misleading. I thought Payne has slowly been improving each game and offers some versatility with his height and agility, and his close marking. If he is fit I would consider playing him, he has already played a prelim final. Very left field, but with McStay out I would see how Payne goes at training this week playing that linking forward role. Don't think we can play Fullerton as a key forward target at this stage. Cockatoo was disappointing so if Ah Chee fit he comes in.

Congrats to Charles on his 150th. He came to play and did it will.

I agree and I consider whether his injury made him not so confident in following his man back shoulder. Rather he tried to beat them to the ball more easier. But with the lack of pressure in the mid he was caught out way too often. A shame there wasn't a shift quickly to fix that mindset.

I hope a nights sleep will do good. I just hope we don't go into next week full of dread and expecting to lose. We're still a darn good team
Especially at the GABBA

If you watch Gawn closely - he does his fair share of jumper pulling and holding in ruck contests. He’s one of the types that gets away with it, probably on reputation and the umpire looking for and expecting his opponent to infringe.

Umpiring wasn’t the worst I’ve seen but again just wasn’t up to scratch and we got the raw end of it. By no means match deciding but it didn’t make our job any easier.

Missed holding the balls - umpires happy to call play on when the ball clearly misses a foot as long as the ball is flowing. Has to be cleaned up.

I don't know what Joe was thinking with that dinky kick but how in the Hell was that called 15?

I reckon he looked up and saw 5 Melbourne players against 1-2 Lions players, tried to maintain possession and failed miserably. If he was up at half back, I can't imagine he had much to kick to down the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game reminded me of the PF last year against Geelong. We were never in it after QT. It could have been a 60 plus smacking. May we be much better at The GABBA.

While Chris Fagan should never single out a player in press conferences for condemnation, I will. Harris Andrews, even though probably injured and can only give 80 percent, has a attitude problem. His petulant behaviour, especially in games during this season, should be condemned by the coaching staff and other senior players. When a leader acts like he has done you sometimes get what you deserve. Needs a "GHL" in the mirror and SAS like training during the off-season.

My take: Harris is playing injured and has been for some time. Cockatoo is restricted and can't run - hasn't got near it since a great first quarter last week. Darcy is injured and hasn't been right since he was rushed back - should not have been selected...three pretty serious liabilities in a final.

I feel this midfield can’t stand up to high pressure and fast paced finals and it’s proving it. I would like to see the new crop next year, more pace and bigger size and more opportunities given . We need a plan B and I can’t see it. Zorko and Lyons disappointing. Neale can hold his head high 46 disposal in a final must be close to a record surely.

never thought I would say this but out Darcy in Lester and Harris needs a bloody good hard look at himself. Absolutely smashed tonight- he plays with what is seems like a lack of intensity at times and it is noticeable.

Thank gosh for Charlie - what a great game. Fumbles Fullerton terrible, nakia needs more run and Daniher needs to learn about using the first option. Berry’s marking was disgraceful.

big o was really good but need to see him take more marks around the ground - we need to find him a chop out next year …

there is no doubt we have some talent but my gosh there are some missing pieces we still need to find to get to the top.
"Fumbles Fullerton". I like it.

He has been given his nickname.

Is McStay out next week a given?

There was a lot of blood and (maybe) a broken nose but sitting on the bench , he looked reasonably alert.

Commentators were pontificating about "concussion protocols" but if it's just a whack across the snout, does he really have to automatically sit out for 12 days?

Maybe I'm just living in hope but surely he should at least be afforded the testing before being ruled out?
He was very groggy and unstable when walking off the ground.

Disappointing performance overall. Just didn’t show up with our high pressure game. The McStay injury really hurt. Just doesn’t feel like it’s our year but then again we’re more than capable of bouncing back. 75% of our team were
Well below their best last night.

That game reminded me of the PF last year against Geelong. We were never in it after QT. It could have been a 60 plus smacking. May we be much better at The GABBA.

I think there is a soft underbelly amongst some of our players that can get exposed in big games if things don’t quite go our way. Like the prelim last year, our contested game was way off last night, I’m sure Fages and the coaching staff would have mentally prepared the boys as best as they could so they are probably just as frustrated as all the supporters as to why our intensity and pressure mysteriously goes missing especially against a side like Melbourne who probably have less finals experience than us.

I want to know how Melbourne went from bottom 4 to almost untouchable in less than 12 months

Hang on a minute, I know we've been rubbish, but not that bad: we finished 9th last year after a bad run in the Covid bubble. 2019 was a write-off because of injuries: half the team missed the pre-season, but even once the season started we had trouble keeping players on the park. e.g. both Lever and May missed more games than they played. The ingredients have been coming together for a few years now, helped along by some good draft choices (Jackson and Pickett) and some decent trades (Langdon and Brown).

My take: Harris is playing injured and has been for some time. Cockatoo is restricted and can't run - hasn't got near it since a great first quarter last week. Darcy is injured and hasn't been right since he was rushed back - should not have been selected...three pretty serious liabilities in a final.

Add Fullaton and Matho not being AFL standard, prior being young and Birch also being injured and that's about 7 players short of a good finals team.

Well that was a s**t show ! Piss pour non accountable lazy performance. I would have thought we playing finals last few years would know what it takes to win finals rather than the demons. Harris was absolute rubbish , where was our manic pressure ?
fullerton cannot play another final he is being carried. Loosing mcstay was a complete disaster and reveals how fragile this team is
well done to Lochie, Charlie and rich all tried hard as for the rest , well worst finals performance last 3 years , pull the finger out get over yourself and have a dam go

Back