Review Qualifying Final, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee those Tiger fans on their board are in denial. They seriously think they didn’t deserve those 50m penalties

Gee those Tiger fans on their board are in denial. They seriously think they didn’t deserve those 50m penalties

Not sure what you're going to achieve by going over there asking for a bite. Just ignore it and move on. We can laugh at them from the safety of our own board.

So according to Riewoldt half a dozen of our goals came from free kicks, doubling down on Prestia's comments.

What goes on in Richmond's match reviews?

So according to Riewoldt half a dozen of our goals came from free kicks, doubling down on Prestia's comments.

I don't know how many of you tune in to SEN during the day but there was some serious whinging, moaning and whining by Richmond callers claiming that they were robbed by the umpires.

One guy reckoned the umps gave us three goals.

Reckoned that "that big ruckmam" (Oscar) "fell on Bolton's chest and when Shai tried to defend himself" the ump unjustly awarded that "BIG ruckman a 50"

"Bolton wouldn't have had the strength to hold down a player like that" your man claimed.

AAAAWWWW.....poor widdle Bolton :rolleyes:

Also crapped on about the injustice of the double 50

Thirdly, carried on about "Jack" getting "blatantly tunneled"and that costing Richmond another goal.

Also had a whinge about the 50 against Dusty and somehow reckoned that led to another goal we didn't deserve.

1) I've looked at the Oscar 50 many times and I'm convinced it's a 50 in any match in any season at any time. After O gets the free
for HTb, he gives Bolton a very mild push down after which Bolton totally overreacts, grabs Oscar and pulls him down, preventing O from being able to take his free in a timely manner.

2)The double 50......Pickett throws the ball, clear as day and WELL after the free is given our hero Bolton decides to have ping at the goals....50 metres.

Then Pickett decides to double down and barrell Zorko in the middle of the ground....another 50

These two acts are rank stupidity and both of those 50's are well deserved. In fact, I believe the second 50 was well short and was more like 35

3) the last time I looked at the replay (the 4th time), I went looking for this alleged "tunneling" against "Jack" and can't detect any instance even slightly resembling a tunnel

4) the 50 against dusty......HARSH call but it does NOT directly or indirectly lead to a Lions score.

Further there was not one comment about the blatant TRIP on Coleman just before 3/4 time that the umps totally ignored.

The narrative all day on SEN has been about Richmond, what they did wrong and how they can fix it to still win the Premiership.

Dwayno even reckoned that for the Lions to win the Premiership "they are probably going to have to beat Richmond twice....and that's going to be a problem"

Apparently it's not how well we played but how Richmond stuffed it up but...."it's probably better for them to play the next 3 weeks anyway"

The disrespect to us and both Port is mind blowing

Unlikely as it is, I'd love to see the Saints roll them this weekend but in any case, Port would smash them in Adelaide the week after.

I have no love of Port but I want to see us play them in the GF

Last edited:

Listened to that - has to be external strategy otherwise its delusional. He made it sound like he had bigfooty posters doing the review "we lost cuz of umpires and free kicks".

I don't know how many of you tune in to SEN during the day but there was some serious whinging, moaning and whining by Richmond callers claiming that they were robbed by the umpires.

One guy reckoned the umps gave us three goals.

Reckoned that "that big ruckmam" (Oscar) "fell on Bolton's chest and when Shai tried to defend himself" the ump unjustly awarded that "BIG ruckman a 50"

"Bolton wouldn't have had the strength to hold down a player like that" your man claimed.

AAAAWWWW.....poor widdle Bolton :rolleyes:

Also crapped on about the injustice of the double 50

Thirdly, carried on about "Jack" getting "blatantly tunneled"and that costing Richmond another goal.

Also had a whinge about the 50 against Dusty and somehow reckoned that led to another goal we didn't deserve.

1) I've looked at the Oscar 50 many times and I'm convinced it's a 50 in any match in any season at any time. After O gets the free
for HTb, he gives Bolton a very mild push down after which Bolton totally overreacts, grabs Oscar and pulls him down, preventing O from being able to take his free in a timely manner.

2)The double 50......Pickett throws the ball, clear as day and WELL after the free is given our hero Bolton decides to have ping at the goals....50 metres.

Then Pickett decides to double down and barrell Zorko in the middle of the ground....another 50

These two acts are rank stupidity and both of those 50's are well deserved. In fact, I believe the second 50 was well short and was more like 35

3) the last time I looked at the replay (the 4th time), I went looking for this alleged "tunneling" against "Jack" and can't detect any instance even slightly resembling a tunnel

4) the 50 against dusty......HARSH call but it does NOT directly or indirectly lead to a Lions score.

Further there was not one comment about the blatant TRIP on Coleman just before 3/4 time that the umps totally ignored.

The narrative all day on SEN has been about Richmond, what they did wrong and how they can fix it to still win the Premiership.

Dwayno even reckoned that for the Lions to win the Premiership "they are probably going to have to beat Richmond twice....and that's going to be a problem"

Apparently it's not how well we played but how Richmond stuffed it up but...."it's probably better for them to play the next 3 weeks anyway"

The disrespect to us and both Port is mind blowing

Unlikely as it is, I'd love to see the Saints roll them this weekend but in any case, Port would smash them in Adelaide the week after.

I have no love of Port but I want to see us play them in the GF

When the alternative is admitting that maybe you were beaten and are no longer as daunting a prospect as you once were, then 'we wuz robbed' is infinitely more palatable.

In my cursory research only two goals were directly from 50m penalties (Big O, Neale) - both of which were AFTER perfectly reasonable free kicks were paid due to sloppy Tiger transgressions.

Poor discipline exacerbating poor discipline, borne of desperation due to inadequacy and panic. But ol' Jack would never cop to that, and frankly I cant blame him.

(Also, Adam Treloar's head looks like someone tried to make Jason Statham's from plasticine, then gave up and squished it in their fists before granting it life...)

Who cares what the players and supporters think. This is good if anything. It's a false sense of confidence. We were the better side on the day. If Richmond meet us in a grand-final and the players don't change anything because they think the only reason why they lost was because of umpiring and a few free kicks. Well good, because they'll lose again. I'm perfectly happy them thinking thats all there is to it. We made plenty if mistakes too which we will hopefully fix up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the alternative is admitting that maybe you were beaten and are no longer as daunting a prospect as you once were, then 'we wuz robbed' is infinitely more palatable.

In my cursory research only two goals were directly from 50m penalties (Big O, Neale) - both of which were AFTER perfectly reasonable free kicks were paid due to sloppy Tiger transgressions.

Poor discipline exacerbating poor discipline, borne of desperation due to inadequacy and panic. But ol' Jack would never cop to that, and frankly I cant blame him.

(Also, Adam Treloar's head looks like someone tried to make Jason Statham's from plasticine, then gave up and squished it in their fists before granting it life...)
You are spot on they cannot allude to the Lions making up any ground,it was a fluke and normal supremacy prevails..pretty much the only strategy they can take when it’s clear there is a very real chance we meet again GF..also Treloar is not as good looking as you described

So this here is a post from the bichmond board. The last part is funny. As during the post it explains nothing about how to play saint kilda. Unless of course he means by keeping them to 3 goals at 3 qtr time. Which would be the way you play any team to win. Far out these people are beyond lost.

"Steele and Ross are their two key mids, must hit hard.
The others are lower quality and will fall by the wayside.
The Saints were appalling against West Coast.
Kicked only three goals in the first three quarters, kept scoreless in the second quarter.
That's the way to play them."

So this here is a post from the bichmond board. The last part is funny. As during the post it explains nothing about how to play saint kilda. Unless of course he means by keeping them to 3 goals at 3 qtr time. Which would be the way you play any team to win. Far out these people are beyond lost.

"Steele and Ross are their two key mids, must hit hard.
The others are lower quality and will fall by the wayside.
The Saints were appalling against West Coast.
Kicked only three goals in the first three quarters, kept scoreless in the second quarter.
That's the way to play them."
Dimma posting again

IIRC Bolton also grabbed Oscar around the neck, which is what I thought the 50 was for.

Surprised at the continued talk about us not being the media darlings still. There was plenty about the Flag Favourite Lions.

More focus on Geelong and Richmond after the weekend though is due to the obvious fact that they're playing again in Elim Finals. Havent had a significant problem with most of the media coverage. Dont expect them to sit around composing ballads about us, or previewing a game we don't have an opponent for yet.

Surprised at the continued talk about us not being the media darlings still. There was plenty about the Flag Favourite Lions.

More focus on Geelong and Richmond after the weekend though is due to the obvious fact that they're playing again in Elim Finals. Havent had a significant problem with most of the media coverage. Dont expect them to sit around composing ballads about us, or previewing a game we don't have an opponent for yet.

Yeah I read the comments on here thinking we were disrespected on 360 and The Couch, but upon watching I thought it was quite fair.

Funny one, isn't it. But when both senior coaches go the same way, then putting it politely, they're right and we are wrong.

Pretty much - coaches votes often highlight why we as fans shouldn't flail our arms about worrying about how certain players are performing - we clearly have NFI what their specific role is, or how well they've performed it.

A hilarious example being Polec in that game where he appeared to play quite well on the surface, but was sent to the two's for the following week for failing to follow instructions.

Last edited:
Yeah I read the comments on here thinking we were disrespected on 360 and The Couch, but upon watching I thought it was quite fair.

My issue with it was more how superficial the analysis was up until the last 20min of Couch - it was about ‘heart’ not what we did tactically. The last bit of couch was more detailed and more interesting.

Port really did get shafted in coverage though lol.

There is no way that 50 against the bogan neck tatt player whatever his name is was harsh. It was a double hand shove in the middle of the back and the umpire blew his whistle. There was no other possible decision and then he kicked it. He thought he would get away with it because the rules aren’t always relative to him.

Hardwick has come up with another gem today. Apparently it was humid Friday night as per the following quote. "I think last week with the humidity in the game and 'Nank' being required to play 80 per cent [game time]"

Give me a break. When do the excuses stop. At least he didn't quote the dew this time (there was none)

Back