Women's Footy Qualifying Final, 2023 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge win! We beat the bigger stronger Crows, the woeful umpiring and our own habit of wasting our kicks inside 50.

Some huge efforts today but also a whole team effort - players just doing their bit in the critical moment.

Huge win! We beat the bigger stronger Crows, the woeful umpiring and our own habit of wasting our kicks inside 50.

Some huge efforts today but also a whole team effort - players just doing their bit in the critical moment.
Great win but lots to work on...some dumb acts n decisions by us kept the Crows alive.

Big credit to Tahlia Hickie. She gets blocked, sometimes subtly but sometimes not, at most ruck contests these days and the umpires seem fine with it. She is actually out-rucking in a pure sense at most contests but the umpires seem quite content to allow the blocks that even up the contest. I think if the rule was applied properly she would towel up a few opposition rucks.

Around the ground she did some important work, getting to contests, providing cover, adding pressure.

Also Tay Smith played a good game and has come a long way this year probably before she was truly ready. She is still developing but showing she can impact a contest, kick a goal or two and add forward pressure, plus give Hickie a breather in the ruck.

Big credit to Tahlia Hickie. She gets blocked, sometimes subtly but sometimes not, at most ruck contests these days and the umpires seem fine with it. She is actually out-rucking in a pure sense at most contests but the umpires seem quite content to allow the blocks that even up the contest. I think if the rule was applied properly she would towel up a few opposition rucks.

Around the ground she did some important work, getting to contests, providing cover, adding pressure.

Also Tay Smith played a good game and has come a long way this year probably before she was truly ready. She is still developing but showing she can impact a contest, kick a goal or two and add forward pressure, plus give Hickie a breather in the ruck.
Might be timely for the club to bring it to the attention of the AFL...with the assistance of providing countless footage of her being blocked. Won't expect any action from this mob tho....probably the opposite for "complaining".

So if we win our prelim we host the GF because we beat the minor premier? That's how it works isn't it? Or if Melbourne beat North tomorrow & then win their prelim they host the GF because they finished second?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we win our prelim we host the GF because we beat the minor premier? That's how it works isn't it? Or if Melbourne beat North tomorrow & then win their prelim they host the GF because they finished second?

I've seen a whole bunch of theories and no one seems to be able to confirm.

Some people on the Crows board seem to be of the impression that if the Crows can find their way into the GF they will still get to host.

The team that finished the H&A season higher gets to host. So we've still got bugger all chance of hosting really. Need to hope one of 5-8 qualifies for the GF. I'm more chance of being drafted.

The team that finished the H&A season higher gets to host. So we've still got bugger all chance of hosting really. Need to hope one of 5-8 qualifies for the GF. I'm more chance of being drafted.

That's so s**t to base it on a Home and Away season where teams don't even get to play every other team.

For the full effect, this jumper needs to have one of the lion's front legs extend out around the side of the jumper and under the number.

Extra credit if the leg starts falling off during the second half
Don't know about anyone else (haven't caught up on the rest of the thread yet) but watching on TV today I really struggled with the colour clash?

I absolutely love the maroon and gold design but I think we'd be better with a predominantly white guernsey against teams like Adelaide, and possibly Melbourne.

Also possible that there would have been less of a clash if it had been a night game. Can't exactly explain why... Maybe the contrast or the "shine" off the respective guernseys during the day time 🤷‍♂️

Ch7 commentators confused with whom to barrack for in an all interstate match
I really like Kate McCarthy. She covered the men's Prelim Final for Triple M and clearly knows her stuff. Was knowledgeable about both teams, was not biased towards either team and really added to the coverage in tandem with Blacky.

Last edited:
Almost time to switch over to Aus Bangladesh... almost :p

come on lions!
The joys of Kayo. I watched to the end of the AFLW, then caught up on the cricket from ball 1. The beauty is when Hazelwood is bowling you can fast forward 30 seconds after each ball and not miss anything. Then 45 seconds between overs. You can catch up pretty quickly really 🙂

FFS why do we kick long to no-one but an Adelaide defender? We need to have the ability to find another option in those circumstances
Yep that's probably the next stage of development for our ladies, and the women's game as a whole: that ability to find a lateral or diagonal target, accurately enough, whilst under pressure.

Then again there's enough men's teams who don't really have a fantastic grasp on that nuance either 🤷‍♂️

Back