Women's Footy Qualifying Final, 2023 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be my understanding.
No. If Lions play Crows, it's in Norwood. If we play Melbourne or North, it's in Melbourne. Anyone else, it's at MVO.
The team that finished the H&A season higher gets to host. So we've still got bugger all chance of hosting really. Need to hope one of 5-8 qualifies for the GF. I'm more chance of being drafted.

I dislike your answer 😂

I'm gonna go searching for a second opinion.
AFL.womens, 17 July:
Unlike last season, when the potential Grand Final venues were not finalised until nine days before the decider, Grand Final venues have been locked in for all 18 teams, should they earn hosting rights by being the highest-placed finisher.

Hmmmm yes but that piece is from July... I wonder if they properly accounted for a Qualifying Final upset.

Anyway you may be right but I still don't like it so I'm hunting for a different answer 😂
Good luck but I'm confident you won't find it.

In fairness to the AFL, it's much simpler and easier to communicate and understand if you are just to say "highest finisher hosts". Factoring in an "unless..." that takes into account who won the qualifying finals would be a bit of a nightmare.

It's our own fault for being good enough to beat the other top 4 sides but also losing to three mid-table plodders.

Don't know about anyone else (haven't caught up on the rest of the thread yet) but watching on TV today I really struggled with the colour clash?

I absolutely love the maroon and gold design but I think we'd be better with a predominantly white guernsey against teams like Adelaide, and possibly Melbourne.

Also possible that there would have been less of a clash if it had been a night game. Can't exactly explain why... Maybe the contrast or the "shine" off the respective guernseys during the day time 🤷‍♂️
I struggled too but I assumed part of it was watching on my phone.

Yep that's probably the next stage of development for our ladies, and the women's game as a whole: that ability to find a lateral or diagonal target, accurately enough, whilst under pressure.

Then again there's enough men's teams who don't really have a fantastic grasp on that nuance either 🤷‍♂️
We're actually pretty good at that, to the point where the commentators often remark on it with surprise when we do it.

It's a lot harder come the end of a close game though, with everyone squished into one end of the ground because you only want to send it across the ground if it's a safe kick - and the women's kicking and marking need a bit more room for error still.

Good luck but I'm confident you won't find it.

In fairness to the AFL, it's much simpler and easier to communicate and understand if you are just to say "highest finisher hosts". Factoring in an "unless..." that takes into account who won the qualifying finals would be a bit of a nightmare.
You mean like they do every single year with the prelim rules? I know you don't make the decision but it's really not that hard.

If one or more prelim hosts win, it's the highest ranked of them.
If neither host wins, it's the highest ranked of the two winners.

Don't know about anyone else (haven't caught up on the rest of the thread yet) but watching on TV today I really struggled with the colour clash?

I absolutely love the maroon and gold design but I think we'd be better with a predominantly white guernsey against teams like Adelaide, and possibly Melbourne.

Also possible that there would have been less of a clash if it had been a night game. Can't exactly explain why... Maybe the contrast or the "shine" off the respective guernseys during the day time 🤷‍♂️
Totally agree. In the heat of play, they’d see a flash of yellow and there might be momentary confusion. I’d say it impedes instinctive play on football, especially attacking kicks through the centre from the backline or wings. Also kicking to slight advantage in a marking contest. You need a clear contrast. Moment of doubt, go for the safe, conservative option. It happened in the men’s game against the suns too. From the start, they were handballing to the opposition. How can they not get this right? They have a week to think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean like they do every single year with the prelim rules? I know you don't make the decision but it's really not that hard.

If one or more prelim hosts win, it's the highest ranked of them.
If neither host wins, it's the highest ranked of the two winners.
I know what you're saying, I actually do agree that that would be fairer. I suspect that the AFL went for an option that was easier to communicate and remember, and also gave higher priority to the campaign of the H&A rather than the one-off winner of a single game. It's a perspective that I can understand even if I don't necessarily agree with it, especially with the highly compromised H&A season.

I suspect that the AFL went for an option that was easier to communicate and remember
I'm pretty sure that's the case - go for the easy solution rather than the fairer one is a common AFL approach to the AFLW.

Back