Review Qualifying Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah nah…at the ground you could see where he was in relation to the action and how he really went out of his way to make bad calls…this is what point shaving looks like - there’s so much money in gambling that we can’t be afraid to call a space a spade
Never been a gambler so had to go and look up what point shaving was ... yep although one might wonder if the powers that be would allow a legit investigation (I seem to remember conversation around when Melbourne was fined for not-tanking that there would have been some massive consequences to the AFL if they had certified them as having actually cheated)

Montagna is frustrating as he is one of the better commentators
This is true which is why I was disappointed with it.
Brisbane been strongly critiqued by the media right or wrong throughout the year starting with the Bulldogs loss. Daniher and Hopwood certainly didn't get missed.
Fages was criticised after Rich and Gunston were sent back, because it was perceived he wasn't strong enough to drop the players.
Neale was in the gun for getting tagged out of the games against Freo and GC. (IMO that says more about the other guys in the middle during those games then about Neale's performance)
And Zorko was smashed for breaking ranks for getting squirrel gripped. (Zorko has done some stupid sh!tty stuff, but I was proud of him to have the courage to speak out against what happened to him)

With all this coming down on the group they have managed to stay the course.

They are gifted group that have been gifted nothing.

Yeah nah…at the ground you could see where he was in relation to the action and how he really went out of his way to make bad calls…this is what point shaving looks like - there’s so much money in gambling that we can’t be afraid to call a space a spade

Nah I know, I was there, but again that’s my point - he ALWAYS makes bold calls as the out of zone umpire, he’s just a f*cking terrible umpire.

I’ve been extremely hot on him being sh*t for years, to be honest the only team I think he favours consistently is the dogs, but that might just be because Bevo teaches them all to throw their head back etc and that’s exactly the kind of s**t he’s drawn to like a moth to a flame.

He’s apparently a “young superstar” umpire from the WAFL, and was fast tracked to the AFL - I wouldn’t be surprised if he thinks he’s god’s gift to umpiring, would certainly fit with that haircut. Would also explain why he thinks he has a better view of the play than the controlling umpire when he’s standing 50 metres away.

great show by everyone last night. starcevich looked more like his old self, joe was more brilliant than terrible, Ah Chee played another great game, Glugga...brilliant.

Improvements
Joe needs to compete in the ruck.
Payne is still too passive.
Big O still playing from behind at throw ins.

Voted 2nd best on by one coach, and 3rd best by another.

… and “more brilliant than terrible”, and critiquing his ruck work, was all you could muster?

I feel for you - it must be a miserable time watching the footy. It’s probably about time you Let It Gooooooooo. ❄️

Trivia quiz time > 1 of us voted Froggy Lester in the Fab5.... who was it?

No prizes for guessing who it was:D
Nathan Barley?

Exactly. If you're going to punch it where you don't have the numbers or there's only open space punch it to the boundary line.

He's been guilty of the no brain punches a few times and surely the coaches will be on to it.
IMG_6702.png
Jack Payne just looks flat as a tack. There he is, standing forlornly at the top of the goal square after Willie Rioli said, ”Thank you” and dobbed the goal when Payne punched it directly to him. Ultimately, it is about football IQ. He really should have tried to mark it. Why go such a low percentage play?

View attachment 1800342
Jack Payne just looks flat as a tack. There he is, standing forlornly at the top of the goal square after Willie Rioli said, ”Thank you” and dobbed the goal when Payne punched it directly to him. Ultimately, it is about football IQ. He really should have tried to mark it. Why go such a low percentage play?
Jack's always lacked confidence and since he's had to carry this injury the decisiveness and devil in his play has dropped right away.

He's out there so he's good to go and it's up to him to go out there as if there's nothing to lose.

He's all we have for the role he plays imo so he needs to do this.

Jack's always lacked confidence and since he's had to carry this injury the decisiveness and devil in his play has dropped right away.

He's out there so he's good to go and it's up to him to go out there as if there's nothing to lose.

He's all we have for the role he plays imo so he needs to do this.
I agree 100% - which is why it is vital for Jed Adcock to devote a significant amount of time and energy towards rebuilding Jack’s confidence between now and the Preliminary Final. I think Adcock should have a 2023 highlights package put together and sit Jack down and talk him through all of the amazing moments he has won this year. Pairing Payne with a ‘defence mentor’ like Harris Andrews, Ryan Lester or even Grant Birchall might also help. Fagan and the assistant coaches need to act decisively on this issue. It actually looks like a well-being issue masquerading as a football issue.

If I could be bothered I would go through your posts and rip this to shreds. This player you apparently always said was ‘brilliant’ you wanted out of the team and slagged him off since he got here. You want a 6 foot 6 full forward to play like Pike or Achee 😂 it’s bad enough you were so wrong it’s even worse you can’t admit it and keep trying to justify your stance. I not going on with this if you cant see how ridiculous and clueless your take on Joe is I not trying to convince you, bloke is a star.

Bombers got a bargain drafting Joe with pick 10 back in 2014. Probably would have gone pick 1 otherwise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1800342
Low percentage play? A defender spoiling the ball 20 meters from behind his opponent, sounds like a perfect defenders play to me. It fell in Rioli’s lap- hardly his fault.

Sorry I can't get over Williamson

Charlie kicks 2 then Williamson pays a stupid free against him that lead to Butters kicking to Marshall and then Williamson as the non-officiating ump pays the free to Marshall who kicks the goal

At least a dozen examples of one sided umpiring. Not surprised his free kick count was so one sided

According to Crows fans a full on Port fan and was seen chatting to Port players during the game. Crows also cop the same corrupt umpiring

Exactly. If you're going to punch it where you don't have the numbers or there's only open space punch it to the boundary line.

He's been guilty of the no brain punches a few times and surely the coaches will be on to it.

A more egregious example is at the 1:55 mark of this clip. If you were a small forward preparing for Brisbane, you would be aware that rather than marking, Payne occasionally does something like this. This is a professional sport and players get detailed information about opponents. They will be looking for these sorts of things. This example was clearly one where attempting the uncontested mark was the best option. As you say martinson, surely the Jed Adcock will be on to this. Jack Payne was playing brilliant football earlier in the season and he needs to get his mojo back.

Last edited:
Low percentage play? A defender spoiling the ball 20 meters from behind his opponent, sounds like a perfect defenders play to me. It fell in Rioli’s lap- hardly his fault.
A better percentage play would have been to attempt the mark. Then the ball wouldn’t have been anywhere near Rioli. At best Payne marks it or at least forces a stoppage. He had both hands free and was uncontested in the Rioli and Pickett examples, although he was under slightly more pressure on Saturday.

It’s a small adjustment, it would have been noted at the club and you can bet Adcock will work on it. I still think Jack Payne is a gun.

I’m moving on. Have a great day jonnobackpocket and Mighty Lions.

Last edited:

Yeah it is something he needs to eradicate from his game, but I will say he is young in football maturity terms so his decision making will get better.

I feel since the first half of the season teams and Oppo forwards coaches have been drilling down on him and Andrews a lot more.

The GC game was probably the best example of the work teams started to do, to isolate and separate our defensive talls

A more egregious example is at the 1:55 mark of this clip. If you were a small forward preparing for Brisbane, you would be aware that rather than marking, Payne occasionally does something like this. This is a professional sport and players get detailed information about opponents. They will be looking for these sorts of things. This example was clearly one where attempting the uncontested mark was the best option. As you say martinson, surely the Jed Adcock will be on to this. Jack Payne was playing brilliant football earlier in the season and he needs to get his mojo back.

Give the guy a break. Jack is a baby on only 50 games playing at the high stress end of the field. Defenders are always stressed and hyper vigilant.

Of course he is going to screw up occasionally. He'll work those errors out of his game over time and by 100 game he will be stupendous.

Gotta admit. I was not happy they were playing country roads before the game, I thought it was tempting fate and I the first half I was worried my superstition was well founded. Happy to be proved wrong twice in 30 seconds.
I heard this on our way to the ground and had to double and triple check the time... was worried the game had already started!

A better percentage play would have been to attempt the mark. Then the ball wouldn’t have been anywhere near Rioli. At best Payne marks it or at least forces a stoppage. He had both hands free and was uncontested in the Rioli and Pickett examples, although he was under slightly more pressure on Saturday.

It’s a small adjustment, it would have been noted at the club and you can bet Adcock will work on it. I still think Jack Payne is a gun.

I’m moving on. Have a great day jonnobackpocket and Mighty Lions.
Spoiling instead of marking isn't specific to Payne. You see this every weekend during the season, for pretty much every team - players who could take a mark going the punch instead. Gardiner used to do it. Darcy Moore does it. Sam Taylor does it. Because the defenders are the last line, if they have any doubt about where opposition players might be I'm pretty sure they all get coached to go the fist because it's a lot harder to impact them and cause a spillage inside forward 50. It's the modern football adage of safety first. Payne shouldn't be spoiling it back towards the centre of the ground, as you'll see most of the others spoil it towards the boundary or at least up the wing - but the lack of marking isn't something he should have to wear when it's clearly a coach's direction across the comp.

Back