Review Qualifying Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Give the guy a break. Jack is a baby on only 50 games playing at the high stress end of the field. Defenders are always stressed and hyper vigilant.

Of course he is going to screw up occasionally. He'll work those errors out of his game over time and by 100 game he will be stupendous.
Agree 100%. He has been awesome this year and has now set himself up to be beside Harris as our 2 key backs for several years at least. Not sure why he is getting negative focus for his game but definitely agree it's not warranted.

Has that actually been reliably verified? There's a lot of bullshit reported as fact on BigFooty boards and I'd be cautious of putting too much store in this sort of thing.
I can not recall who first posted it but I have seen it on our board and the main board, no one has refuted it from what I have seen.

I admit it could be bullshite, I may be too trusting of my fellow big footy devotees.

It was reported 14-2 to Port. :eek:

Yet somehow it was worse than just the lopsided number…it was as though the calls he made seemed to interrupt goals at our end and then create goals out of nothing at the other

He was overtly cheating…don’t know his motive but that guy was not being straight

Great reading over these 15 pages! Pretty much everything has been mentioned but wanted to add my 2c worth.

• Highest score of the finals so far
  • Only team to win every quarter on the weekend
  • Very impressive last quarter when in past games we might have put the cue in the rack, or worse, let the opposition back in
  • Highest quality game of the 4 (I thought, and I didn't think it was close)

Really think Port v GWS could be an absolute balltearer on Saturday, and a far better spectacle than Melbourne v Carlton. And the winner of that will really take it up to Collingwood, although having a 6 day break will probably make it a bridge too far.

It's always been said that defence wins premierships. I guess we will need to defy that logic to go all the way, considering the more defensive nature of some of the other teams. But I think it's high time that narrative got overwritten, and I'd love our guys to be the ones to do it.

Can I be picky for a second , or instructive.
If there is one moment that stood , where we could improve, I would say it was Darcy Wilmot moment when Kiddy ran past him for a handball receive , he didn't give it ,and then after thinking a few more seconds kicked it inside our fifty .
Kind of think it's a no brainer, not sure if Kiddy would of kicked a goal, probably still too far out, but I'm certain it would of been a percentage play and if anything Kiddy would of went another 10 or so meters closer to hit someone up or possible goal.
That would of been better than the ball leaving our inside fifty.

I'm certain the coaches would be onto it, no doubt.
Don't get me wrong , thought he had a blinder , just like seeing bits and pieces in our game where our players can go next level, to the unbeatable stage with as I say no brainer actions.
Any thoughts?

Can I be picky for a second , or instructive.
If there is one moment that stood , where we could improve, I would say it was Darcy Wilmot moment when Kiddy ran past him for a handball receive , he didn't give it ,and then after thinking a few more seconds kicked it inside our fifty .
Kind of think it's a no brainer, not sure if Kiddy would of kicked a goal, probably still too far out, but I'm certain it would of been a percentage play and if anything Kiddy would of went another 10 or so meters closer to hit someone up or possible goal.
That would of been better than the ball leaving our inside fifty.

I'm certain the coaches would be onto it, no doubt.
Don't get me wrong , thought he had a blinder , just like seeing bits and pieces in our game where our players can go next level, to the unbeatable stage with as I say no brainer actions.
Any thoughts?

If we are being picky the Bailey goal was awesome but it was a low percentage shot and in the clip Joe is standing at the top of the square by himself, arms wide, calling for the ball.

To be fair to Bailey, that's a low percentage shot for Joe ...

It’s really quite amazing that in such a fantastic team performance, in our pole here, 5 players have shared in over 80% of the votes.
I think the key thing here is that it's not necessarily the 5 players one would normally associate with a dominant Brisbane victory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was reported 14-2 to Port. :eek:

Which would mean the other 3 umpires collectively paid us 19-10.

Based on respective free kick differentials this year, which are likely due to each teams playing style, 19-10 our way is nothing outrageous.

… so, the fact that in the one game, three could pay them in a 2:1 ratio, and the other a 1:7, is quite indicative of clear bias, possible cheating.

Which would mean the other 3 umpires collectively paid us 19-10.

Based on respective free kick differentials this year, which are likely due to each teams playing style, 19-10 our way is nothing outrageous.

… so, the fact that in the one game, three could pay them in a 2:1 ratio, and the other a 1:7, is quite indicative of clear bias, possible cheating.
I touched on it earlier, that it would be horrible working with an umpire like that while officiating a game because you all get tarred with the same brush during and/or after the game, you need to try and 'even up' the calls a bit to try and get the game back on track while still maintaining your own integrity, ie a lot of our calls were not in the same spots that Port were, and then the most frustrating thing would be this moron overruling you from 50+ meters away with a soft free kick, which then completely undermines your own control of the game and is questioning your competency. I would hate working with the guy tbh.

I touched on it earlier, that it would be horrible working with an umpire like that while officiating a game because you all get tarred with the same brush during and/or after the game, you need to try and 'even up' the calls a bit to try and get the game back on track while still maintaining your own integrity, ie a lot of our calls were not in the same spots that Port were, and then the most frustrating thing would be this moron overruling you from 50+ meters away with a soft free kick, which then completely undermines your own control of the game and is questioning your competency. I would hate working with the guy tbh.
The integrity of umpires has been dramticaly reduced because of having 4 central umpires in my opinion. At least 1 too many if not maybe 2 too many. In a lot of situations the umpires are labelled bias because of that and also because the rules of the game are now so unclear for umpires/players and supporters. I sometimes believe umpires are dammed if they do/dammed if they dont and in a lot of cases not fairly treated.

Please help. I’m still recovering from my knee replacement and more significantly, the pulmonary embolism I suffered last Wednesday night. I’m bored. Should I watch the game again. It would be the 4th time? Is that a bit obsessive?

My boss is an Adelaide fan. He went to the game.

His thoughts on the umpiring was that it was terrible and Brisbane received the rough end of the stick.

He said he’s not normally one to buy in to umpire bias, etc. But we were getting shafted.

The integrity of umpires has been dramticaly reduced because of having 4 central umpires in my opinion. At least 1 too many if not maybe 2 too many. In a lot of situations the umpires are labelled bias because of that and also because the rules of the game are now so unclear for umpires/players and supporters. I sometimes believe umpires are dammed if they do/dammed if they dont and in a lot of cases not fairly treated.
4 is obviously too many and explains the inconsistency that you see fans of all clubs complaining about every week.

It is definitely a thankless job and no doubt very difficult with not only rule changes but from my understanding the AFL asking for certain things to be cracked down on or interpreted differently.
I understand why we had 3 umpires, the game just got faster and faster, 4 as you say might be too many, though it should have meant and was supposed to mean that off the ball stuff, particularly from defenders was going to get picked up more often so it was fairer to the forwards. From where I sit though, it definitely isn't the case in Brisbane games.
I'm also not sure why goal umpires or boundary umpires aren't empowered to make certain decisions ie, goal umpire see's a off the ball hit right in front of him. More extreme cases rather than a HTB or holding the man call.
I didn't think Eddie's idea of multiple umpires in multiple zones that meant a lot less running for umpires was that crazy, though as you have said the more voices, the more differing opinions there are and the harder it is for the players to know what will and won't be paid. Reducing the fatigue should result in umpires being able to make better decisions.
There is a lot the AFL could do or take from other sports to improve the officiating our game that would upset the traditionalists, so it won't happen.

Please help. I’m still recovering from my knee replacement and more significantly, the pulmonary embolism I suffered last Wednesday night. I’m bored. Should I watch the game again. It would be the 4th time? Is that a bit obsessive?
I decided to watch it again.

4 is obviously too many and explains the inconsistency that you see fans of all clubs complaining about every week.

They need to do what the NFL does and have set “teams” of umpires. The biggest issue (other than Williamson being s**t) is consistency - if you get 4 umpires who work together week in, week out, they’re going to get a feel for each other pretty quickly and develop a good understanding between each other of for example what constitutes HTB and what doesn’t.

A howler 5 minutes into the game matters significantly less if the decision is applied consistently across the rest of the game too. What was happening on the weekend (and what happens regularly) is different umpires have vastly different interpretations of various rules.

drew usually plays a more general defensive mid role like dunkley to cover for rozee and butters but was too busy hanging off neale who worked him around and let our other mids get possession and run out the front of stoppage repeatedly

Kind of like a mini version of the game where they all targeted Neale.

Back