Review Qualifying Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that I haven’t seen much comment on, but I think it would be wrong to let it go under the radar, was how FANTASTIC Eric Hipwood’s game was. His work rate was incredible and he really covered some ground. In particular, I thought his willingness to run up and down the wing, providing a marking option was first rate. He has an amazing tank because as the game goes on he is still prepared to put in the hard running. Great example was the last Quarter of the Semi against Melbourne last season when he had a run and then got a long bomb to Charlie for a goal.
IMG_6705.png
I know in the competition there are players who get more attention, but at 25 years of age and with his footy smarts, skills and running ability, Hipwood could still end up one of the real superstars of our club. I said this the other day, but his kicking for goal, on the wrong side for a left footer is fantastic. I can’t wait to see what Hipwood can do in the Preliminary Final and if we progress, the Grand Final. He’s another loyal player who deserves a Premiership Medallion.

Please help. I’m still recovering from my knee replacement and more significantly, the pulmonary embolism I suffered last Wednesday night. I’m bored. Should I watch the game again. It would be the 4th time? Is that a bit obsessive?
Watch it back to back with the 2002 Preliminary Final... off the top of my head I reckon there are a lot of similarities between the two?

4 is obviously too many and explains the inconsistency that you see fans of all clubs complaining about every week.
I'd actually be ok with 4 if they didn't all line up in the middle of the ground (ie the corridor) and hence had basically the same view of events as each other.

I know Eddie or someone had the thought a few years ago that you could have 1 central umpire but 4 outer umpires, essentially where the boundary umpires set up now. Thought it had a lot of merit.

I'd actually be ok with 4 if they didn't all line up in the middle of the ground (ie the corridor) and hence had basically the same view of events as each other.

I know Eddie or someone had the thought a few years ago that you could have 1 central umpire but 4 outer umpires, essentially where the boundary umpires set up now. Thought it had a lot of merit.
I also thought it had some merit and also it meant a lot less running for the umpires which meant good umpires who aren't athletic enough to keep up with the game as it currently is could be umpires if their decision making is good enough. IIRC it was using the same amount of umpires as there are now inc goals and boundaries but far less running which meant umpires could do games the following day rather than needing to recover etc.

The one decision that really irked me was in the third I think. Wines clearly tackled after having prior, spun around a fair bit with two Lions hanging on to him - no HTB paid first - and then Wines falls forward and is paid in the back. It should have been paid HTB first. Then to top it off I think Lachie was then paid HTB against with literally zero prior moments later. Just shite and inconsistent umpiring within minutes.

Not to mention Jerry being done for HTB in Ports forward line for bringing the ball back in at the bottom of the pack. Where was that ump when Chapman did it late in that Cats game years ago.

The one decision that really irked me was in the third I think. Wines clearly tackled after having prior, spun around a fair bit with two Lions hanging on to him - no HTB paid first - and then Wines falls forward and is paid in the back. It should have been paid HTB first. Then to top it off I think Lachie was then paid HTB against with literally zero prior moments later. Just shite and inconsistent umpiring within minutes.

Not to mention Jerry being done for HTB in Ports forward line for bringing the ball back in at the bottom of the pack. Where was that ump when Chapman did it late in that Cats game years ago.
I thought Jerry tried to make an attempt at least to get it out. I hate it that in those situations it is the guy who gets the ball that is going to be penalised. It's created a scenario where actually picking up the ball and trying to dish it out is the wrong way to go about it if you're going to be immediately set upon. Bez should've known better than to take possession of the ball in that situation because he was never getting it out to a teammate.

One thing that I haven’t seen much comment on, but I think it would be wrong to let it go under the radar, was how FANTASTIC Eric Hipwood’s game was. His work rate was incredible and he really covered some ground. In particular, I thought his willingness to run up and down the wing, providing a marking option was first rate. He has an amazing tank because as the game goes on he is still prepared to put in the hard running. Great example was the last Quarter of the Semi against Melbourne last season when he had a run and then got a long bomb to Charlie for a goal.
View attachment 1800867
I know in the competition there are players who get more attention, but at 25 years of age and with his footy smarts, skills and running ability, Hipwood could still end up one of the real superstars of our club. I said this the other day, but his kicking for goal, on the wrong side for a left footer is fantastic. I can’t wait to see what Hipwood can do in the Preliminary Final and if we progress, the Grand Final. He’s another loyal player who deserves a Premiership Medallion.
His chase of Duursma in the last 1/4 was inspirational and shows just how much of a team player he has become.

His chase of Duursma in the last 1/4 was inspirational and shows just how much of a team player he has become.

Speaking of team players - I thought that was a wonderful team effort. If we maintain that level of team work, two way running and scoring potency, we will be incredibly difficult to stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me know what happens
I think we are going to win. Charlie just kicked a goal and everyone is singing. I feel like he’s going to kick another one real soon!

Yes pretty sure it was Bailey who had him completely locked up for several seconds. Wines fell on his face and because Bailey had a firm grip, he went with him. There was no push from Bailey.

I was furious.

I think we are going to win. Charlie just kicked a goal and everyone is singing. I feel like he’s going to kick another one real soon!
I know it's been said already but the crowd was amazing on Saturday night. We'd been a bit down the last few weeks, it's almost like even us as spectators had been impatiently waiting for the finals to arrive. Then when the time finally arrived it was like we all fed off each other, both on and off the field.

The last time I recall a crowd being that loud was the 2019 Semi Final vs the Giants, but then that was different. That night was so frenetic and frantic (I don't think we stopped yelling the entire last quarter), but Saturday night was just a party, a celebration really.

In a way it's perhaps a touch concerning what might happen if we are indeed good enough to get to a Grand Final, and experience a crowd that is, at best, far closer to neutral.

That decision was complete garbage. I loved the fact that in the broadcast you could see Bailey was giving to Wines for being a cheat. The next best part was Wines not being able to convert

Absolutely, and again, it is late in the game, demonstrating the ability Hipwood has to dig deep. That was a fantastic effort. Doing the video review with the players, that effort would be front and centre of the highlights package and you would play it to the group, talk about it and play it again. That sets the bar for defensive effort. The same with Cameron’s two tackles and Dunkley’s tackle on Horne-Francis. The referred pressure that acts like that places on opponents is huge. Even when you just miss or don’t quite get there, opponents in possession KNOW that we are coming for them. That is certainly part of the secret to beating Collingwood.

Jeeeeez can we get past this "umpire x is biased against us and awarded frees to the other mob" it's just juvenile crap.
54sinw.jpg

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how McCluggage came back on like a rocketship after his 20 minute break.

What occurred to me is how much your gun midfielders benefit by having a rest. They usually wouldn't get that much time off during the normal course of events.
It was a worry there for a while, thank heavens Clugga was ok on the night and said in the presser he pulled up really well.

IMO Clugga, Charlie and Harris would be the 3 I would least like to see us missing come GF day.

It was a worry there for a while, thank heavens Clugga was ok on the night and said in the presser he pulled up really well.

IMO Clugga, Charlie and Harris would be the 3 I would least like to see us missing come GF day.
There's probably 4 or 5 we'd hate to lose.

Daniher for me . He's critical for our structure , just having a 6'8 guy in the goal square who's very mobile opens up our options when we go forward. And no viable replacement.

Back