Review Qualifying Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it is something he needs to eradicate from his game, but I will say he is young in football maturity terms so his decision making will get better.

I feel since the first half of the season teams and Oppo forwards coaches have been drilling down on him and Andrews a lot more.

The GC game was probably the best example of the work teams started to do, to isolate and separate our defensive talls
Thy way Melbourne used Melksham against Andrews was a clear sign. And the Pies matching him up with Howe. Adams has been a big loss. But hey .. Lester is filling a vital position which is more surprising ( in a good way ).

Welcome to country was excellent. It should always be bespoke and the way he engaged the crowd was excellent. I thought it was great.
It was great I get to see a lot of welcomes to country and the best ones (like Shannon's) are genuine, engaged and you learn something.

i've always said he's brilliant and does brilliant things.

But his worst is terrible. His rucking is futile. His non competing in the ruck led directly to one of Ports early goals. His non marking up of his opponent at a kick in led to another Port goal.

The thing is he's got Buddy level brilliance combined with a level of selfishness and incompetence that's astounding.

Sure you can focus on the brilliance side of the ledger but can you imagine if we had a Joe with THAT level of brilliance combined with the level of commitment, team focus and sheer grunt of, say Callum Ah Chee or Mitch robbo or Martin Pike . That would a Jon Brown level footballer. And all those things that joe lacks are purely attitude, desire and drive. He's got everything to be one of the all time greats at our club but it's just his attitude that lets him down.

For me, I'm disappointed that we're not going to see another Brown or a Daryl White or a Simon Black in Joe.......instead he'll only ever be a Warwick Capper.

Any chance you coach an under 11’s team?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best thing

Although the clearance count was even on paper (42-39 to Port), Brisbane kicked a whopping 13 goals from the source, while restricting their opponents to scrappy exits.

Just looked different to earlier in the year, when it was often the opposite.

His chase of Duursma in the last 1/4 was inspirational and shows just how much of a team player he has become.

Hippy has been watching too many nature documentaries and thought he was a real lion and Duursma was an antelope

unexpected-faiil.gif

Just out of interest, what was Williamson's free kick count for the two teams?

It was reported 14-2 to Port. :eek:

I was re-watching the third quarter today and noticed Williamson paid at least three free kicks to Brisbane in that quarter alone.

He paid the one to Daniher in the goal square that Fletcher played on from and goaled, and some of the more contentious frees paid to Port in that quarter were paid by the other umpires. So I think we can put this one in the made-up bullshit box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was re-watching the third quarter today and noticed Williamson paid at least three free kicks to Brisbane in that quarter alone.

He paid the one to Daniher in the goal square that Fletcher played on from and goaled, and some of the more contentious frees paid to Port in that quarter were paid by the other umpires. So I think we can put this one in the made-up bullshit box.
Beat me to it, saw the 3rd whilst on my lunch break. It was just after Charlie’s 2nd goal.
He had paid the hold on Joe earlier. Plus I counted 3 paid to the Lions in the defence.
Lester for HTB, Coleman near the top of the goal square and another not long after that one, didn’t quite catch who got the free.
After his 2nd goal, the free against Charlie was for a tackle when the player didn’t hve the ball and Starc for an ear massage (high contact)

Does anyone keep thinking back to last Saturday? Honestly might be my favourite evening at the football ever. So proud of the team.
Mine is the MCG in the final against the Demons last season, the euphoria when the siren went was spine tingling, the fact that we came from behind against our nemesis and defending Premiers made it so sweet... the Jake Lever jig topped it off.

Only thing that could beat it would be being at a GF win.

Last Saturday was fantastic though.

Mine is the MCG in the final against the Demons last season, the euphoria when the siren went was spine tingling, the fact that we came from behind against our nemesis and defending Premiers made it so sweet... the Jake Lever jig topped it off.

Only thing that could beat it would be being at a GF win.

Last Saturday was fantastic though.
I did a Jig in my Lounge Room when Jake Lever was doing his. Especially after he gave away the 50.
Magical!

I did a Jig in my Lounge Room when Jake Lever was doing his. Especially after he gave away the 50.
Magical!

I think that jig is my favourite moment from that game.

Back