Unofficial Preview Qualifying Final, Saturday 7th September 2019, 7.25pm. v Tigers @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if Christian is also investigationg the stomach punch that put Neale to ground and needing trainers. Didn't get who it was but Graham was tagging him for significant portions of the game.
Yeah thought the same thing.

Don't worry about the fact that Neale was left reeling on all fours for a minute or two because we all know that such sniper gut punches are permissible in AFL footy still in 2019. :rolleyes:

Hey guys, sorry to intrude, but genuinely excited to see you guys back up. Lived in Toowoomba for a long time, and used to go to some Lions games if I got the chance, just to help support footy in the state. I believe the AFL competition needs a thriving QLD team, so a genuine well done! :)

I agree with sentiments on here, that your team is a far different proposition at the Gabba, and to me this one is a genuine 50/50. I think the betting odds should be more like 1.80 to 2.00, with the Tigers having the slight betting edge because of our established brand vs an unproven brand come finals for the Lions (we were unproven going into 2017 finals so this is meaningless to the result).

The fortunate thing for Richmond though (and unfortunate thing for the Lions) is that Richmond's path to a Grand Final, regardless of W/L, doesn't see them leaving the MCG again regardless of the result, which essentially means we will be approaching this game as very much a free hit to skip a game, rather than an absolute must-win match. For the Lions, they MUST win to retain a home ground advantage in finals, otherwise after Semi Final week, you face the task of travelling to the MCG in a Preliminary Final against the Pies or Cats, which is a daunting task.

So I honestly feel like the Lions have far more at stake here in terms of result, because it's going to be much harder path for you to make the Grand Final if you lose this one, than it will be for Richmond if we lose.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude, but genuinely excited to see you guys back up. Lived in Toowoomba for a long time, and used to go to some Lions games if I got the chance, just to help support footy in the state. I believe the AFL competition needs a thriving QLD team, so a genuine well done! :)

I agree with sentiments on here, that your team is a far different proposition at the Gabba, and to me this one is a genuine 50/50. I think the betting odds should be more like 1.80 to 2.00, with the Tigers having the slight betting edge because of our established brand vs an unproven brand come finals for the Lions (we were unproven going into 2017 finals so this is meaningless to the result).

The fortunate thing for Richmond though (and unfortunate thing for the Lions) is that Richmond's path to a Grand Final, regardless of W/L, doesn't see them leaving the MCG again regardless of the result, which essentially means we will be approaching this game as very much a free hit to skip a game, rather than an absolute must-win match. For the Lions, they MUST win to retain a home ground advantage in finals, otherwise after Semi Final week, you face the task of travelling to the MCG in a Preliminary Final against the Pies or Cats, which is a daunting task.

So I honestly feel like the Lions have far more at stake here in terms of result, because it's going to be much harder path for you to make the Grand Final if you lose this one, than it will be for Richmond if we lose.

Wrong. Even if we lose, we have a game at the Gabba again the following week.

Yeah thats what he is saying.If we lose Richmond game we lose the advantage of Prelim at Gabba. If we win the next game at the Gabba after richmonds game ( if we lose ) then we travel to MCG for Prelimanary game. We lose that advantage if we lose this week for Prelim game. Thats what he is saying

Uh, no. ReaperX is correct. If we lose week 1 and then win week 2 we will have to travel to Melbourne for the prelim.

Let's just win week 1 and avoid having to travel until the GF. Easy........

Just had the realisation that this will be an unusual case where the decision on Neale may both depend on and affect the same club. Usually the other club has nothing to gain by talking up an issue but that's not the case here. I hope Graham doesn't magically turn up with internal bleeding or something today and yet magically be fine to play.
All good, he could die from the strike after 5pm or when the charges are laid and there is nothing the AFL can do. Can't use logic and common sense when it comes to these things

Yeah thats what he is saying.If we lose Richmond game we lose the advantage of Prelim at Gabba. If we win the next game at the Gabba after richmonds game ( if we lose ) then we travel to MCG for Prelimanary game. We lose that advantage if we lose this week for Prelim game. Thats what he is saying
And what are the chances that if we play the Preliminary Final in Victoria against Geelong, that it will be scheduled for Cat Park instead of the MCG? The AFL may just schedule the game there, because of Scott's constant whining & bleating!

Yeah somewhat agree, with 3 victorian teams in the top 4, at least one prelim final at MCG is a lock so much more at stake for us win this to get the quick path to the home prelim final.

And what are the chances that if we play the Preliminary Final in Victoria against Geelong, that it will be scheduled for Cat Park instead of the MCG? The AFL may just schedule the game there, because of Scott's constant whining & bleating!

Don't forget that this was the same stupid rule that cost us the 4-peat in the glory days so he does have a point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget that this was the same stupid rule that cost us the 4-peat in the glory days so he does have a point.
Different rule. There's no rule mandating Geelong has to play at the MCG, it's just convenient for the AFL (more tickets, more $$$).

Different rule. There's no rule mandating Geelong has to play at the MCG, it's just convenient for the AFL (more tickets, more $$$).

Sorry yes, it was a different rule back then but it still has a similar implication from a home ground advantage perspective given the way the Cats play.

Maybe the AFL will even things up and the cats can host us at the Gabba.

If we beat Richmond we'll either host West Coast ,Collingwood, Geelong or Essendon at the Gabba in the prelim. I'd rather play West Coast or Essendon as they have to travel from Perth to Melbourne to Brisbane in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

I think you would be safe. You could argue the case you had 75k at a game against the Tigers which you had a fair representation at. The shanty ground of 32k capacity would mean your supporters would miss out...doubt the AFL will force you to play at the cats ground.

Rayner (notice I got the spelling right ) wasn't our worse player this week but he was only just OK. It is my opinion that that is the best he will do at this stage of his career. I cannot see him playing well in any game THIS YEAR.

Opinions on McStay are blighted by false expectations. He is a battler, a player who can play a role and contest, and be a modest contributor. I have given up on him kicking a bag or ever being a dominating forward. Unlike Rayner, he doesn't have youth on his side, but if you adjust your expectations you will get what you expect.

We should be in the market for Cameron (GWS). We have kicked heaps this year as our on-ballers have covered for an under performing (not Charlie of course) forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back