Unofficial Preview Qualifying Final, Saturday 7th September 2019, 7.25pm. v Tigers @ Gabba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fugitive

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Did anyone watch Fages post match conference? Big change in his tone from a few weeks ago, he calmly brushed aside all questions about our ability on the big stage and quite prepared to talk the boys up which he should after coaching this group to 2nd on the ladder!

Already getting messages from some Collingwood supporting mates saying "straight sets. No way the Lions make it."

I'm used to them being arrogant, but I had a look at the Squiggle.... If results go as the squiggle suggests, it'll be Brisbane v Collingwood in the prelim. What a huge game that would be.

Oct 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
I feel as if Richmond threw their best punch at us this week where as we had significant room for improvement. If we can deny them quick rebound 50’s through the corridor then that will go a long way to us winning.

Saw a few posts in the game day thread that people thought Stef played well.. personally, I disagree and thought he was outplayed by a very average ruckman in Soldo.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
If you were at the ground you would have a greater appreciation of his tackling, running and zoning off. I liked the fact that he was prepared to lead. Anyway, back in ten or so days.
I really liked Rayner's game too and to say otherwise is being contrite.

Shame he didn't get reward for effort by slotting at least one of those two goals in the third quarter I think it was.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Did anyone watch Fages post match conference? Big change in his tone from a few weeks ago, he calmly brushed aside all questions about our ability on the big stage and quite prepared to talk the boys up which he should after coaching this group to 2nd on the ladder!

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Said in the other thread even if we won against the Tigers yesterday we probably come up against them again.
Dead rubber for us under 63 points.
Saw we played a lot different then the last 6-8 weeks.
Wonder if a plan. Well I hope it was
Clarko move not to show all your cards... just the lower numbers

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really liked Rayner's game too and to say otherwise is being contrite.

Shame he didn't get reward for effort by slotting at least one of those two goals in the third quarter I think it was.
Agree . Cam's inexperience really cost him having a reasonable impact on the game . Went for the speccy over the back too often ,trying to win it off his own boot, missed a simple over the top by turning his back and going back when he took that great mark . Which is good in a way because he thinks he can, just needs another pre season and a bit more composure to sharpen up. But I like his physical presence.

Clearly we supporters got a touch of euphoria after the Geelong game and any talk of smashing the Tigers was out the window when they took us to school early.

There's no question they're a good side peaking at the right time of the year and we've had to maintain a level for half a season now. So I think it'll be a mighty effort to beat them even at the Gabba but if we're to be in contention this year we must win this match. We've got plenty of time to recover and plan ,as they do, a key factor is not letting them get away from us like they did in the first quarter. Stay in range and hope the Gabba effect can get us over the line

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Agree . Cam's inexperience really cost him having a reasonable impact on the game . Went for the speccy over the back too often ,trying to win it off his own boot, missed a simple over the top by turning his back and going back when he took that great mark . Which is good in a way because he thinks he can, just needs another pre season and a bit more composure to sharpen up. But I like his physical presence.

I will say that upon watching the replay last night having been at the game, McInerney clearly got in his way in the third when he went up for one of those flies, which resulted in Cam spilling the mark and bemusingly having HTB paid against him for landing the ball.

I'm not sure whose fault it is, but again on the replay last night, it was noticeable that McInerney was impacting or at least involved in a number of those contests whereby a number of our talls are flying for the same ball and effectively spoiling the ball from one another. It has been a common issue all year, unlike Richmond's talls who rarely, if at all, competed against one another. I'm not sure if it is immaturity of our players or too much of an eagerness, but we need to get better fast because it could us a final.

After the Bont debacle I am almost willing to lay money that Neale will be given a week because Christian is an absolute twit.

I thought Rayners game felt like a penny drop moment. His around the ground work was awesome but his leads were the best they've looked all year. I think he's passed his second year blues and could have a genuine impact in finals.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I will say that upon watching the replay last night having been at the game, McInerney clearly got in his way in the third when he went up for one of those flies, which resulted in Cam spilling the mark and bemusingly having HTB paid against him for landing the ball.

I'm not sure whose fault it is, but again on the replay last night, it was noticeable that McInerney was impacting or at least involved in a number of those contests whereby a number of our talls are flying for the same ball and effectively spoiling the ball from one another. It has been a common issue all year, unlike Richmond's talls who rarely, if at all, competed against one another. I'm not sure if it is immaturity of our players or too much of an eagerness, but we need to get better fast because it could us a final.
Definitely. I've been on about Cameron and Rayner going for specs behind a big pack all year . Saturday sometimes Oscar ,McStay and Hipwood or a combination went for the same ball. It's just stupid , how many contested pack marks do they take anyway. Play smarter.

I think we got a bit overawed and once we were getting beaten just tried to do too much too quickly in our forward line.

Really impressed by Oscar overall ,he's very clever and we didn't take enough advantage of him getting a little on top in the Centre. It occurred to me why doesn't he just bang it forward Keating style , he's got the capability , his tap outs have just as much chance of going to the opposition.

McStay I've been disappointed with lately . He just doesn't impact the contest enough for a man his size. Lost confidence ??

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought Rayners game felt like a penny drop moment. His around the ground work was awesome but his leads were the best they've looked all year. I think he's passed his second year blues and could have a genuine impact in finals.
I think he just needs more composure around the ball ,he's got more time than he thinks on occasions. I'm not convinced that he'll have a genuine impact in finals this year but it's possible if he gets on the end of a few and gets his confidence up. At least on Saturday he gave us some physical presence which we needed with our other small forwards having a bit of a mare

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Where's all the tiger fans

We are here mate! :)

I feel as if Richmond threw their best punch at us this week where as we had significant room for improvement. If we can deny them quick rebound 50’s through the corridor then that will go a long way to us winning.

Saw a few posts in the game day thread that people thought Stef played well.. personally, I disagree and thought he was outplayed by a very average ruckman in Soldo.

Now obviously we all have a team first view but in all honesty, we were not close to throwing our best punch on Sunday, in saying that, either did you guys. Both sides have plenty of upside which will make our game a cracker. My evidence of that is pretty simple. We played Dusty 40/60 mid/forward, in a final it will be 90% midfield, till we feel we have ascendancy then he will move forward for 15% a quarter. Cotchin played his first game back, 15% midfield, rest of the game, to ease him in was wing,back flank and forward pocket. Also I noticed we pressed our smalls way up, have no idea why ? Maybe to hold some cards as I can not remember a game where our F50 lay only 0 tackles.

Last thing, If I may, Soldo is still a pup. He is improving every game he plays, which you lions supporters would know all so well, young talls do take time. He showed this past month, he is not average.

Anyway, really impressed with the lions this year and lets hope both sides stay injury free.

Wonder if Christian is also investigationg the stomach punch that put Neale to ground and needing trainers. Didn't get who it was but Graham was tagging him for significant portions of the game.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When watching the 3rd quarter I felt we were getting a 10 minute grand final preview 6 weeks early. I thought we had them rattled and staggering we just couldn't land the punch that knocked them down late in the 3rd. The intensity was amazing, it's just our execution kicking inside 50 held us back all game and they were able to capitalize on our mistakes more than we did for theirs. If we were within under 10 points at 3 quarter time I think we would of had a chance, in the last quarter there were a lot of players that looked hurt, sore and tired. Take away that 1st quarter and it would have been a 50/50 situation at the end of the game. I said before the game that the 1 thing I wanted out of this game was proof that we can play well against the premiership favorites at the MCG in front of 75,000+ people and I felt we achieved that goal. Feeling pumped for the rematch, it's going to feel like the longest 2 weeks but i'm feeling optimistic that we'll get redemption.

Just had the realisation that this will be an unusual case where the decision on Neale may both depend on and affect the same club. Usually the other club has nothing to gain by talking up an issue but that's not the case here. I hope Graham doesn't magically turn up with internal bleeding or something today and yet magically be fine to play.

Just had the realisation that this will be an unusual case where the decision on Neale may both depend on and affect the same club. Usually the other club has nothing to gain by talking up an issue but that's not the case here. I hope Graham doesn't magically turn up with internal bleeding or something today and yet magically be fine to play.
I think a doctor would have to put his signature to something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back