Senior List
Sep 17, 2008
Glen Iris
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Miami Heat
finally, finals are here!

If sydney win tonight over brisbane, friday night footy it is. if they lose, i'm pretty sure we play saturday night.

So when we lose next week..

Just kidding.

Time has finally come..

746807-steven-baker.jpg

The great man is back.

stevie jay is shitting himself...

in all honesty though, i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt play.

In: S Milne, A Schneider, S Baker
Out: ???

I think it will be Armitage, Dempster and Miles but one could argue cases for each of these players.

Who do you think should be dropped?

God I hope we turn it around.

Farren Ray is looking very ordinary for mine. Some shocking skill errors today but he was far from Robinson Crusoe.

Please Saints. Dig!

spot on.

this is probably the most important game. we'd be a very small chance if any if we don't win this week. a win puts us on the good side of the draw.

our gameplan and style of play is built for finals. i don't think we've shown our best all year as of yet, but i have complete faith it will come in the finals, and it has to start next week.

INS: Schnieder, Milne, Baker
OUTS: Dempster, McQualter, ???

i know ill probably get burned for saying mcqualter, but he really doesnt offer us as much as he used to. he's great for his pressure, but that really is about it. with both milne and schneider coming back in, im not sure he warrants staying in the team more than anyone else.

I'd keep miles in. he's done well, has had a few iffy moments but his exuberance is a lifter, and it frees up someone like goddard to play mid or half forward.

KEY MATCHUPS
Baker on Johnson
the game will almost revolve around the last time these two met, at least in the lead up. assuming baker gets named, this will be crucial in many aspects. will it unsettle johnson? will it unsettle baker? or will it bring the best out of both of them. if its the latter, baker will need to work hard to quell johnson's influence, especially after 9 weeks out.

Jones on Ablett
what a shame that ablett is finding his best form leading up to this game. jones has missed a few games and should be feeling relatively fresh. he hasnt necessarily had the wood on ablett, but has certainly limited his influence to some extent. ablett going forward will be a worry.

Taylor/Riewoldt, Scarlett/Koz, Hunt/Milne
these guys have struggled at times against the cats, but this weekend is their time to step up. Scarlett isnt as great as he used to be, and if Koz can nab 3 like Wilson did today, it will go a long way. As for Riewoldt, he has his demons with Taylor, but i expect him to break free of them this weekend. and Milney, silence the critics and have a big game!

X Factor
Adam Schneider
this is the big one for me. these guy is capable of pin point passes, some nice chase downs and kicking 3 or 4 goals. he'll be looking to make up for last year now the finals are here.

Brendan Goddard
stellar year, and another who feels he couldnt give his all last grannie. doesnt need motivation, you know he'll go all out from the first final till the end.

Cameron Ling
we can't let him negate the influence of whoever he goes to. its going to be tough for them to pick between hayes, dal and joey, but i think lenny will get the tag. needs to break free and will need support. ling is another who seems to be slightly on the decline.

Travis Varcoe
breakout year for this kid, and has pace that can truely worry us. we really need to get in his head from the start to quell his influence. could do nothing, but could win the game.

I've had this feeling for a long time, despite our results, that we would get a win here in the first week. optimistic? biased? probably. but ive had this gut feeling when we knocked off brisbane back yesteryear, when port adelaide knocked us off in 04, and now.

IN: Baker, Schneider, Milne
OUT: Miles, Dempster, Fisher(if he's injured)/Dawson

Horses for courses. Pods is out so I don't see a spot for Dawson. Milne comes back for Dempster, Miles as the rookie goes out and Dawson just ahead of Armo goes out.

In: Schneider, Milne, Baker, Eddy

Out: Dempster, Miles, Armatige, McQualter

McQualter out if Eddy's fit. Mini looks flat I reckon - seems to lay a few tackles but his forward pressure is OK at best. Eddy has more spark, applies more/better pressure and his aggression at the man and ball is just what we need in a big final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KEY MATCHUPS
Baker on Johnson
the game will almost revolve around the last time these two met, at least in the lead up. assuming baker gets named, this will be crucial in many aspects. will it unsettle johnson? will it unsettle baker? or will it bring the best out of both of them. if its the latter, baker will need to work hard to quell johnson's influence, especially after 9 weeks out.

Sorrry to intrude guys, but this ones gonna be fascinating. Everyone is saying Baker cant do his stuff (ie frustrate the hell out of opposition forwards) any more because umpires/cameras will be paying xtra attention. But exactly the same applies to Johnson as well. I'm sure neither of them will risk more weeks at this time of year, so Im picking a genuine man on man battle out there without the rubbish that went on last time (from both of them). Should be excellent to watch!

Forecast for Friday
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds south to southwesterly averaging up to 35 km/h tending light easterly during the evening.
City
Shower or two.
Min
Max

So, it might be that the ground is wet slightly, but no huge rain during the match.

Geelong love to run through the CHF arc and hate going wide.

Saints will be ready for it.

We just can't stuff up on the rebound like we have been. No point pushing all the numbers back to force the turnover if we don't have any options going forward.

The balance is the key but we still need to block those holes in the centre square where Geelong like to create their run.

Just heard Ross do an interview on the radio and i found it interesting to hear him say Eddy was definetly in the mix. (He also said Schneider and Milne will come straight back in, and hinted the same for Baker)
Personally, i would rather Eddy in the team than Mcqualter at the moment. I have always like Mcqualter but now he can't even kick a set shot.
Eddy is just as hard and was in fine form.

Already terrified about this game. I still have you guys as my favourite for the flag. Whoever wins this game gets the easy run to the GF. Whoever loses has a very very tough run, and could even go out in straight sets :eek:

For Cat changes I would imagine the following:

In: Enright, J Hunt, Selwood, Byrnes
Out: T Hunt, Menzel, Hogan, Lonergan

However Bomber may want Lonergan in in case you push an extra tall forward.

Worried about Goddard.

If its going to be remotely wet then Armitage has to play . I thought he did some good things against the Crows and has shown on several occasions that he can go forward and take a good mark . The backline looked in chaos with Zac back out there . Pods not playing hopefully means no need for him to be there .

How about Jack Steven? I think if its wet then he should come in.Havent seen his name mentioned for a while, hope everyone hasnt forgotten about him

Ins:

Baker
Schneider
Milne

Out:

Dempster
Miles
Armitage

Possible out : Mcqualter for Armitage to stay or Robert Eddy. Most likely Armitage to stay with Schneider and Milne back

I like armitage but he is not in front of any of the three ins.

How about Jack Steven? I think if its wet then he should come in.Havent seen his name mentioned for a while, hope everyone hasnt forgotten about him

He'd definitely have to come under consideration if it was wet, especially with him being a matchwinner with his 3 goals in the wet against the Cats last time we played them. Even if it isn't wet he should be in the mix but the fact he hasn't played the last few games would make it seem unlikely he will be included.

He'd definitely have to come under consideration if it was wet, especially with him being a matchwinner with his 3 goals in the wet against the Cats last time we played them. Even if it isn't wet he should be in the mix but the fact he hasn't played the last few games would make it seem unlikely he will be included.

I heard talk that Jack was carrying a small injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back