2nds Qualifying Final v Williamstown Saturday 1/9/18 at 7pm LIVE on 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the AFL boys the VFL side has finished as minor premiers and take on Williamstown this Saturday night in the Qualifying final. The game promises to be a cracker as Williamstown have had the better of us since we became a stand alone VFL side.

In the last meeting at Punt Rd they easily accounted for us by 46 points, kicking 9 goals to 3 in the second half after a tight first half. In that game former Tiger Adam Marcon had 27 disposals 12 tackles 2 marks and 3 goals in a dominant performance with support from Michael Gibbons Nick Rodda Lachlan Schultz and Ben Cavarra, while the Tigers best were Jacob Ballard Anthony Miles Corey Ellis Connor Menadue Brandon Wood.

In the earlier meeting this year a tight battle was fought out at Williamstown Oval with the lead changing many times through the game. In the end Williamstown were able to make the most of their last quarter dominance and win by 2 goals. On that occasion Leigh Masters Willie Wheeler Brett Bewley Nick Rodda Jack Charleston and Michael Gibbons were the Seagulls best. For the Tigers Jacob Townsend Corey Ellis Dan Rioli Shai Bolton Noah Balta & Callum Coleman-Jones led the way for the Tigers.

For the Tigers to win this week we're going to have to win the midfield battle against the likes of Marcon Gibbons Wheeler Bewley Cavarra & Jolley, which means big games from Miles Lloyd C.Ellis Silvestro Ballard Wood & Aarts. Hopefully the VFL side can finally get the win over Williamstown and earn themselves a week off.

Richmond

B: 78. D. Coffield, 42. R. Garthwaite, 46. B. Miller

HB: 37. C. Menadue, 31. O. Markov, 51. S. Morris

C: 45. P. Naish, 26. A. Miles, 64. T. Silvestro

HF: 48. L. Baker, 38. N. Balta, 44. T. Stengle

F: 58. J. Aarts, 36. C. Moore, 7. D. Butler

R: 47. I. Soldo, 32. C. Ellis, 27. S. Lloyd

Int: 54. J. Ballard, 53. H. Beasley, 40. C. Coleman-Jones, 61. J. Fletcher, 56. B. Grewar, 52. S. Mannagh, 43. D. Smith , 57. B. Wood

23P: 60. C. Thompson

Williamstown

B: 18. J. Greiser, 8. P. Faulks, 21. J. Tippett

HB: 35. B. Myers, 17. J. Charleston, 15. O. Tate

C: 9. A. Marcon, 16. B. Bewley, 20. M. Norton

HF: 10. L. Masters, 5. L. Schultz, 24. W. Wheeler

F: 2. B. Cavarra, 7. N. Rodda, 3. S. Dunell

R: 49. N. Meese, 6. M. Gibbons, 4. B. Jolley

Int: 40. L. Buckwell, 12. L. George, 23. J. Jones, 31. B. Monk, 22. J. Pickess, 1. J. Pongracic, 13. T. Schnerring, 26. J. Thorpe

23P: 32. C. Stephens

For those who want to get along you must purchase tickets via VFL Finals Tickets prior to the game as this is a fully ticketed even given the small crowd space at Punt Rd. Given there is no AFL on and it only costing $15 if you can get down then do so and cheer the boys on.

Go Go Go VFL Tigers, Great looking team that has been picked to take on a 'RED HOT' Willy outfit in great form. Weave your magic 'fly' and turn around our slight form drop, and regain our skill, passion and 'want' to lead the way for the ''Firsts''. I still believe that a few ''KEY position players will not line up in that team on Sat night??? to be held over for our shot at Hawthorn 5 days later, ''will weaken'' us a little, 'BUT' we will ''FIND''. Our finals begin!!! Go Tigers 2018.

QUOTE="DontArgue4, post: 57660174, member: 143139"]Ohhhh haha my bad![/QUOTE]
Yer don’t think his omission is going to cause any fan meltdowns :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emerging young ruckman Ivan Soldo shapes as a major weapon in Richmond VFL team’s quest for this year’s premiership.

The VFL Tigers kick off their 2018 September campaign with a big qualifying final match against Williamstown under the lights at the Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval on Saturday night, and their coach Craig McRae believes the 204cm, 106kg, 22-year-old can play a key role in helping them go one step further than they did last year, when they finished runners-up.

“Shaun Hampson’s been on the list, and then Ivan Maric last year, so Soldo was always the third wheel,” McRae said.

“It was difficult to get enough match time for him . . . he was sort of deprived of opportunity.

“This year, he’s been pretty much the go-to guy, at VFL level in particular.

“He’s playing 80-90 percent in the ruck and he looks like a big, strong man now.

“He’s four years in the system and he’s been so important to us.

We haven’t played with him in the team against Williamstown this year (because of a toe infection and then concussion), so I’m looking forward to having him in our team.”

If we’re relying on Soldo to win us the game then the battle is half lost. CCJ had 46ho last time and beat Jones, but their midfield chewed us up. Jones missed the first time round at Willy and they still won.
Townsend was our best player in the Williamstown game and he kept us in it all day.Didn’t play the second round when we were trounced and will be sadly missed this time round.
We’re taking in a lot of blokes that have had long injuries so it’s going to be a bold effort if we can topple this lot.
Markov went off early for us in the beachside game and they lost Marcon who then gunned it in PRO game.
Their talls will only become an issue if Gibbons Marcon and co aren’t stopped as their midfield wins them games.

Playerswho missed last game against willy who are playing Saturday night
Markov - morris-balta- butler-soldo-beasley -fletcher
Markov Butler Beasley will be rusty.
Fletcher I’m not sure about.
Morris a big plus to play on the sneaky Cavarra.
Balta was vg in the Williamstown game and will be a big bonus.
Soldo is slow and I can’t see him being of much assistance as CCJ beat Jones at PRO. I’m not sure our midfielders can go with theirs as they have some hard arsed pests in their line up. Have we added enough midfield quality since our last meeting? We really needed Townsend in as he got under their skin at Williamstown.
Ballard needs to sit on Gibbons all night and terrorise him. I don’t know who can take out Marcon though as Miles and the Silky Butterfly won’t keep up with him and we need Lloyd to run and spread to create for us. It’s gonna be a ripper of a game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back