Review Qualifying Final vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Tommy Jonas is on another level.

So extremely reliable and tough at it. Never gets overawed or beaten in the air and is old school port adelaide where he hyperaggressive but at the same time composed. Young guys like Butters follow his suite in relentless attack for the ball. Absoloutly smashes the ball or the oppo in every single contest and is reliable enough to take intercept marks.

You could see in his post match interview there was no joking he was very determined and serious that "we are not done yet." Further at the start of the last henderson and Marshall were having a bit of a chat in our goalsquare. Pan to the cats goal square tommy was ever so concentrated and didnt have a bar of danger

I am fully onboard with the idea that the decision to have the GF at the Gabba was made because the AFL felt threatened about their precious ******* MCG and didn't want a groundswell of public support to open it up to other grounds.

Queensland government paid bribes to the AFL and Victorian government to boost their election chances.

I sense if SA had a labor government in power it would have been a far closer call.

How's this ripper from the Geelong board:

The crowd played a huge part in Port winning that, and its unjust the game was in Adelaide. Just like tomorrow is wrong for the game to be in Perth and for Richmond to play Brisbane in Brisbane. These finals should have been played at Neutral cites, Port Brisbane West Coast have not earned home finals from a fair and even playing field.
Tell Chris Scott to shut the **** up!

How's this ripper from the Geelong board:

The crowd played a huge part in Port winning that, and its unjust the game was in Adelaide. Just like tomorrow is wrong for the game to be in Perth and for Richmond to play Brisbane in Brisbane. These finals should have been played at Neutral cites, Port Brisbane West Coast have not earned home finals from a fair and even playing field.

Cool, at least that means we don't have to hear them bleat on about a final down at Kardinia Park.

Could not be prouder of this club right now.

That game was ****ing intense. Straight from the first whistle we went in hard. You couldn't fault our desire all night. It was the best its ever been. Geelong were so ****ing clean all night, one touch grabbing the ball all the time but our ability to tackle hard and lock the ball in was incredible.

I thought our midfield was beaten early but they just got better and better as the night went on. When we needed them to stand up after half time, they did. All of them.

The backline worked so much better than last time we played them. Whilst the result may have been different had Hawkins kicked straight, we got in his head early and made sure he was off his game. He never recovered. McKenzie was good. Jonas was exceptional both defensively and chopping out. Hartlett was marking like peak Brian Lake in that third quarter.

And then the forward line. Dixon was smashed but Ladhams stood up at the right time, Marshall came back on and competed really well. Who would have thought Mots and Ebert would kick 5 between them! Nuts!

Thought we kept all their danger players in check.

So so good. The crowd was mental. Havent heard a crowd that loud all night since the 04 Prelim. Scenes! People jumping on each other. High 5s all round.

To see the excitement on my two boys faces at the end of the game was emotional.

2 left lads!

PLAYER REVIEWS

Clurey - Thought defensively he was pretty good but just offered nothing else. Stanley had an influence early but Tom ended up winning his position.

Marshall - The courage of this guy to have busted a shoulder, to come back on and compete all night was so impressive. Whilst he didn't get much of the ball, to go back and slot the sealer from 50 in the last was amazing.

Dixon - Not his night. Taylor was amazing, Henderson coming over the top was amazing. What he did do was make sure the ball came to ground more often than not and it still kept us in the contest

Duursma - Speaking of courage. He ran 25 metres to make that play. Didn't flinch at all. Got smashed and at the ground looked like he should have been paid the mark. Was playing well to that point too. Instant Port Adelaide hero.

McKenzie - Was left behind on the lead a few times but was good at other times. Might have been different had Hawkins kicked 3 or 4, but you take that job from Mckenzie every day of the week.

Amon - Well held for most of the night. Was a good battle with Menegola. Thought Amon had some influence through the second half though.

Rozee - Not a lot of the ball but his chasing was sensational and his defensive pressure was great. good clutch goal in the third. Some of his little tap ons were really good too

Houston - Was so cool with the ball across half back. Didn't put a foot wrong. Won the battle with Parfitt.

Lycett - Beaten early but thought he had a real influence the longer the game went on. One of our best.

Ladhams - Was really good tonight. His cameo in the ruck was great, especially in the forward line. Whilst he didnt have much of a say in the air, was good for him to get a goal. His competitiveness was exceptional

DBJ - Good battle with Dahlhaus. His positioning was really good, he didnt allow Dahlhaus any influence inside 50 and was good with the ball. All class as always

Butters - Some of the things he did were really clever. His chasing and quick hands were good. I will say, I reckon he's in trouble. There's a big chance he misses the Prelim. Two incidents. A head butt in the second. Then he went and bumped someone in the head as well. I hope not, but I reckon hes in trouble.

Gray - **** he was good. When we were struggling in the middle, he was the player getting the ball. He was so clean all night. His touch is perfect at the moment.

SPP - Has matured out of sight this year. Was great early and solid for the rest of the night. So tough over the ball

Jonas - Destroyed Rohan and was excellent in getting in the way of everyone else all night. Close to best on for mine

Motlop - Am I dreaming? Is this real life? Stevie Motlop with three goals against his old club! The match winner. The difference maker. Well played Mots. That was brilliant.

Burton - So good to have him back. He killed Ablett. Did well on Miers as well. Was clean, quick, skillful, dour. Excellent.

Boak - Gun. Didnt see a lot of it in the first half but was clinical when he did get it. Then went bang after half time when the match was there to be won. A leader. Our Champion

Ebert - He. Was. Amazing. So good across half forward. Crucial goals. Great marks. Wass hard as nails

Hartlett - Stood up like a vice captain should. Was huge in that third quarter. Beat his opponents and took marks at will.

Wines - Was nowhere in the first quarter but he was massive for the rest of the game. Strong over the ball, won the clearances when we needed him to and was able to get it forward often. Big game player

Rockliff - First final and he was a star. Was huge in our third quarter push. In huge form at the moment.

Lid's off, we're the real deal.

Absolutely enormous performance. Our defensive setup simply did not allow high percentage shots at goal. They got them via luck, skill errors and umpiring blunders. Hawkins who killed us last time pinged 5 behinds from the 3rd row. Couldn't get near it. We'd have won by more if we'd been a bit cleaner going forward.

Hartlett, DBJ, Jonas massive. Ollie, Rocky, Boak Gray enormous. Ebo and Mots who had their careers in jeopardy a few short weeks ago were arguably the 2 best players on the ground.

Could not be prouder of this club right now.

That game was ******* intense. Straight from the first whistle we went in hard. You couldn't fault our desire all night. It was the best its ever been. Geelong were so ******* clean all night, one touch grabbing the ball all the time but our ability to tackle hard and lock the ball in was incredible.

I thought our midfield was beaten early but they just got better and better as the night went on. When we needed them to stand up after half time, they did. All of them.

The backline worked so much better than last time we played them. Whilst the result may have been different had Hawkins kicked straight, we got in his head early and made sure he was off his game. He never recovered. McKenzie was good. Jonas was exceptional both defensively and chopping out. Hartlett was marking like peak Brian Lake in that third quarter.

And then the forward line. Dixon was smashed but Ladhams stood up at the right time, Marshall came back on and competed really well. Who would have thought Mots and Ebert would kick 5 between them! Nuts!

Thought we kept all their danger players in check.

So so good. The crowd was mental. Havent heard a crowd that loud all night since the 04 Prelim. Scenes! People jumping on each other. High 5s all round.

To see the excitement on my two boys faces at the end of the game was emotional.

2 left lads!

PLAYER REVIEWS

Clurey - Thought defensively he was pretty good but just offered nothing else. Stanley had an influence early but Tom ended up winning his position.

Marshall - The courage of this guy to have busted a shoulder, to come back on and compete all night was so impressive. Whilst he didn't get much of the ball, to go back and slot the sealer from 50 in the last was amazing.

Dixon - Not his night. Taylor was amazing, Henderson coming over the top was amazing. What he did do was make sure the ball came to ground more often than not and it still kept us in the contest

Duursma - Speaking of courage. He ran 25 metres to make that play. Didn't flinch at all. Got smashed and at the ground looked like he should have been paid the mark. Was playing well to that point too. Instant Port Adelaide hero.

McKenzie - Was left behind on the lead a few times but was good at other times. Might have been different had Hawkins kicked 3 or 4, but you take that job from Mckenzie every day of the week.

Amon - Well held for most of the night. Was a good battle with Menegola. Thought Amon had some influence through the second half though.

Rozee - Not a lot of the ball but his chasing was sensational and his defensive pressure was great. good clutch goal in the third. Some of his little tap ons were really good too

Houston - Was so cool with the ball across half back. Didn't put a foot wrong. Won the battle with Parfitt.

Lycett - Beaten early but thought he had a real influence the longer the game went on. One of our best.

Ladhams - Was really good tonight. His cameo in the ruck was great, especially in the forward line. Whilst he didnt have much of a say in the air, was good for him to get a goal. His competitiveness was exceptional

DBJ - Good battle with Dahlhaus. His positioning was really good, he didnt allow Dahlhaus any influence inside 50 and was good with the ball. All class as always

Butters - Some of the things he did were really clever. His chasing and quick hands were good. I will say, I reckon he's in trouble. There's a big chance he misses the Prelim. Two incidents. A head butt in the second. Then he went and bumped someone in the head as well. I hope not, but I reckon hes in trouble.

Gray - fu** he was good. When we were struggling in the middle, he was the player getting the ball. He was so clean all night. His touch is perfect at the moment.

SPP - Has matured out of sight this year. Was great early and solid for the rest of the night. So tough over the ball

Jonas - Destroyed Rohan and was excellent in getting in the way of everyone else all night. Close to best on for mine

Motlop - Am I dreaming? Is this real life? Stevie Motlop with three goals against his old club! The match winner. The difference maker. Well played Mots. That was brilliant.

Burton - So good to have him back. He killed Ablett. Did well on Miers as well. Was clean, quick, skillful, dour. Excellent.

Boak - Gun. Didnt see a lot of it in the first half but was clinical when he did get it. Then went bang after half time when the match was there to be won. A leader. Our Champion

Ebert - He. Was. Amazing. So good across half forward. Crucial goals. Great marks. Wass hard as nails

Hartlett - Stood up like a vice captain should. Was huge in that third quarter. Beat his opponents and took marks at will.

Wines - Was nowhere in the first quarter but he was massive for the rest of the game. Strong over the ball, won the clearances when we needed him to and was able to get it forward often. Big game player

Rockliff - First final and he was a star. Was huge in our third quarter push. In huge form at the moment.

Great review

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool, at least that means we don't have to hear them bleat on about a final down at Kardinia Park.
They played one final at Kardinia Park and lost to Fremantle.

They can't win finals outside Victoria.

They can't win finals at the MCG against other Vic teams.

And they whinge about finals venues?

Where the **** do they want to play their finals then?

No voice left! The ferocious pressure, tackling and repeat efforts were a joy to behold, particularly in the "premiership quarter". Forward marking is an issue still: hope that clicks in the prelim.
At the game it can be difficult to tell whether all of the seemingly wrong/missed free kicks were actually there, so I'll check the replay tomorrow. Regardless, it will be a great pleasure reliving the game.

Another tough, slogging win where we demonstrated an ability to respond after being below par early. Geelong should have been 3 or 4 goals up at half time and it would've been very hard to get up from there, but it's not the first time a side has kicked themselves out of it in a final and we were good enough to take the initiative away from them in the second half.

Some positives:
Motlop - that's what he's there for, if only it happened a bit more often.
Wines & Rockliff - strong after a poor start.
Lycett - though Stanley outplayed him early but he fought back and helped us get control in the midfield.
Ebert - pretty solid and 2 vital goals.
Jonas - good captain's game in defence.
Hartlett - reliable down back, some telling marks.
Butters - hardly sighted in the first half but his ability to bob up and do something brilliant is priceless.

Some negatives:
We appear to lack physical strength, Geelong continually broke our tackles and outbodied us in contests, especially in the first half.
Dixon - don't want to say he was totally useless because of the contest he provided (sometimes), but some of his attempts at getting the ball, both marking and on the ground, were horrendous. Hopefully he won't play that badly again.
Rozee - disappointed in him. His half-hearted, once-only efforts at the contest were like Motlop at his worst. Needs to lift his game.
Ladhams - needs to hold his marks and do a bit more around the ground.

So good to now be able to sit back and watch the other contenders beat the crap out of eachother before coming up against a well-rested Power in a fortnight.

Clearly we where overwhelmed in the first, full off nerves and played as such. Tried to shake em off in the 2nd but the jitters where still there. After half time we shaked all that and started playing it our way. It’s amazing how relaxed I became when we had 3 repeat 50 entries after that we played the game on our own terms.

Thought our first half was pretty ordinary. We were competing well enough but sort of falling into the same traps we did against Geelong earlier in the season - outmuscled in the contest, not kicking to the advantage of our fowards, etc. We were lucky they were kicking so badly in front of goals, we could've been a few goals down at half time but instead somehow had our noses in front.

Had this thought at half time that a good patch of 15 minutes or so in the second half would win it for us ... and that's exactly what happened. It was pretty much a carbon copy of the Bulldogs game earlier in the season. We got on top in that third quarter, just killed them at the stoppages and locked the ball in our front half. 3.2 to 1.1 for the quarter and that set up the victory.

Our forward line was a mixed bag but effective. None of Marshall, Dixon or Ladhams did much but all had critical moments and all managed to kick a goal. Motlop was just electric, his best game for Port by a mile. Butters, can't say much more about him that hasn't already been said, he's just the complete player. Ebert made a nice little contribution too and that goal on half time was clutch.

Midfield did a nice job. Gray and Powell-Pepper got us started, Wines and Rockliff brought us home and were clearly our best two on the night I reckon. Boak was solid throughout.

Jonas and Hartlett were like a wall down back. Uncompromising defending. Superb.

Duursma, unfortunate what happened, but his courage is just unquestioned and I reckon it lifted the team big time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back