QUEENS BIRTHDAY UMPIRING WOW

Remove this Banner Ad

Except I'm pretty sure it wasn't paid as deliberate. The umpire guessed. I don't like it when umpires guess.
Yeah. I get it was the wrong actual to-the-rules call. But there's situations where they'll pay a free and it was a free, they just call one that isn't necessarily the most correct free.

Need more coaches to come out and say it like Clarko.

Fines won't work if they all do it.

No way mate - it would become an absolute circus - some coaches wouldnt know where to draw the line

Bob Fulton a very high profile player and then coach of Manly in the NRL and the Australian side .

When he was coaching Manly one day - after the game he was asked by the media - what did you think of the referee - and Fulton replied - " I hope he gets run over by a cement truck "

Consistent theme this year in AFL - supporters of the losing team just blame the umps - never the players wernt good enough - its just the umps fault - absolute bulldust

Consistent theme this year in AFL - supporters of the losing team just blame the umps - never the players wernt good enough - its just the umps fault - absolute bulldust

No. It's not just supporters of losing teams. Many, many neutrals are getting put off too.

Too many good games have been affected by some inconsistent umpiring decisions in the last 5 minutes of matches. That's the consistent theme!

Can't they just put the whistle away? Or at least not pay frees that weren't there for the rest of the 115 mins?

Just this year? Happened since the beginning of football

Of course I do - just ask any professional AFL commentator if they are 100% free to criticise umpires.

Eddie seems to be allowed to whenever he commentates a non-Vic team playing a Victorian team. Those blind umpires apparently miss a free kick against the non-Vics in every contest.

D

Very good pick up not a Moran I meant you but seriously mate ,you would wish ,unless your playing vfl shut you're mouth , keep trying you might ONE DAY meet my playing record
200 senior dvfl
52 vfa
37 Amos
Ovens and Murray and school footy
Throw in seabl basketball and senior rep coaching
Yeah you know it all as I said if he's upright when he collected the ball he hasn't dragged it in therefore he deserves and is given PRIOR OPPORTUNITY
WATCH THE REPLAY if your two feet are touching the ground or your in stride your not dragging it in
EVEN SUNDAY SOCIAL FOOTY LIKE YOURS knows that
Take your blinkers off, it was your teams TURN this week
I'm a Moran?

Can you screenshot the part where he was on his feet?

He pl

he played well but you reckon he didn't just maybe get away with a bit just a little tiny bit?

Pies fans conplaining about taggers getting away with stuff. How much did Macaffer get away with over the past couple of years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're all right. Umpiring was atrocious. Pies runner got in the way numerous times, impacted play at least twice, and nothing was done
Probably need a thorough investigation. Strip all the pies points.

Except the call against Greenwood was correct.

Dived on the ball and made no attempt to dispose of it and just let it be held to him.

The onus is on him to try to attempt to dispose of the football after he dived on it, he didn't and was rightfully called for holding the ball.
Probably the most blatant HTB decision you could ever see. They'll include it in the next video sent to the clubs it was that clear cut.

Ozzie Osbourne could have done a better job than the umpires today - if the AFL was a public company the directors would be facing a class action.

Check out the last quarter with 2.38 to go - Jayden Hunt shoves the ball into Levi Greenwood's groin and the umpire calls it holding the ball against Greenwood - pathetic decision #4 for the quarter against the Pies. Great game destroyed by seriously poor decisions. The commentators on Foxtel called it a "little unfair" because they are under contract not to criticise the umpires from the AFL - it's like living in the Soviet Union!

Greenwood dived on it and pulled it in underneath. Onus is then on him to get it out. Thought a good decision. Greenwood's intention was to kill the ball. What a horrible spectacle our game would be if all players tried to dive on the ball and kill it.

The result of the Sidebottom free - which was there. Really made a huge impact, that one. Turned a boundary throw in 40m out in to an uncontested mark with men lining up in the corridor.

The Greenwood free - also there - was 10 seconds after Hibberd was tackled without the ball after handballing out in front. Anyone want to tell me that much jumper grab isn't a free?

If the umps were rigging the game with inconsistent holding the ball calls then how are all 3 of these play on? All 3 are far more blatant examples of taking on tackles are illegally disposing the ball than the Hunt one.

Wron, Hunt dragged that ball back in and held it against Greenwood. Greenwood was punching the ball to move it on, Hunt held the ball to him. This was suposed to be addressed years ago.....and here we are. No one knows the rulings any more.
WRONG.

Commentators might not know but umpires are crystal clear on this one. Probably one of the only rules they are clear on.

Greenwood dived on it and pulled it in underneath. Onus is then on him to get it out. Thought a good decision. Greenwood's intention was to kill the ball. What a horrible spectacle our game would be if all players tried to dive on the ball and kill it.

Finally the relevant section's on YouTube. Greenwood was already on the ground (therefore didn't 'dive on it') and didn't 'pull it underneath' at all- he had it in his arms and rose to his knees before being tackled, then it got pinned to his stomach.

The rule states: "Where a player elects to dive on or drag the football into or underneath his body he must successfully knock the ball clear..." The laws of the game example video shows a player dive from his feet on top of the ball, then get tackled. This is different in all relevant aspects.

Given you argue Greenwood's intention was to 'kill the ball', I think you might be going off a foggy recollection- he clearly gets on to his knees in order to try and handball it to a teammate.

If the umps were rigging the game with inconsistent holding the ball calls then how are all 3 of these play on? All 3 are far more blatant examples of taking on tackles are illegally disposing the ball than the Hunt one.

If there's no prior opportunity, the player simply needs to make a genuine attempt, that's it. I wish fans would get that. So videos 1 and 3 are fine. Video 2 is iffy, but of course you have to ignore the high tackle as well.

If there's no prior opportunity, the player simply needs to make a genuine attempt, that's it. I wish fans would get that. So videos 1 and 3 are fine. Video 2 is iffy, but of course you have to ignore the high tackle as well.
Video 2 is plenty of prior, surely you can't argue that. Bit of high tackle but Howe's ducking and spinning to evade, they aren't paying those high any more.

Video 1 I'm happy to have called play on due to no prior opportunity, but it's not really a genuine attempt at a handball, it's a throw.

Video 3 - I would've thought Treloar has had prior by the time he spins and has an arm free. Attempts a kick and clean misses. Again, ok with that no paid but it's a balance to the Hunt one not been paid. One's a kick, one's a handball.

Finally the relevant section's on YouTube. Greenwood was already on the ground (therefore didn't 'dive on it') and didn't 'pull it underneath' at all- he had it in his arms and rose to his knees before being tackled, then it got pinned to his stomach.

The rule states: "Where a player elects to dive on or drag the football into or underneath his body he must successfully knock the ball clear..." The laws of the game example video shows a player dive from his feet on top of the ball, then get tackled. This is different in all relevant aspects.

Given you argue Greenwood's intention was to 'kill the ball', I think you might be going off a foggy recollection- he clearly gets on to his knees in order to try and handball it to a teammate.

Oh come on, it's right there in the video.

On his knees. Left arm reaches out. Scoops the ball under his elbow. Never gets to his feet. Ball never leaves his possession.

You're saying because he was on his knees not all fours and because the ball was under his arm and shoulder it shouldn't be holding the ball?

There's a clear motion in which he drags the ball underneath part of his body and he never successfully knocks it away from his body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back