Queensland clubs - What the hell happened?

Remove this Banner Ad

Imo it's unfair to single out Queensland - lots of other clubs got shafted, paid overs, or failed to fire a single shot this trade period (Collingwood, North and Hawthorn all come to mind), but no one's calling their list managers incompetent.

In the bigger picture, I don't think either club did that badly, although they could have done better. Gold Coast took four top ten picks last year (all of whom have already extended their contracts), so they could afford to give up pick 2 this year for a talented kid who actually wanted to be there, plus they bought in much-needed depth in Young and Wigg. Next year's first for a bunch of second rounders is a gamble, but West Coast are likely to slide, next year's draft is tipped to be better, and it's not like they'd get to play all of their second rounders in 2018 anyway. The Ablett trade was pretty s**t, but Ablett's behaviour forced their hand and limited their options.

Brisbane paid overs for Cameron, but we got a best 22 player who fills an immediate need and still have 3 first picks in the first 20, plus the 4 kids in the top 25 we took last year. Hodge is an obvious choice. An end of first round pick for Rockliff seemed fair until the Motlop pick, which is hard to judge since we have no clue how the compensation formula really works. Besides, Rockliff will be 31 in 2021 (the final year of his deal), and has had a lot of recent setbacks with injury which will limit his durability - by then, Hipwood, Andrews, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden etc will all be looking at contract increases and I'd rather be spending the money on them, so it wasn't in our interests to match. And Schache was a unique case - we got shafted in terms of value but I'm okay with my club doing the right thing by a kid who was clearly struggling mentally.
The singling out of Brisbane is not based on this trade period alone. The players that have left Brisbane the last 5 years or so speak for themselves. don't think you can blame the list managers and recruiters either given it has happened over a number of regimes. Brisbane had a bad trade period but it's really hard to find blame given the circumstances.

I realise that as a forum Big Footy is akin to the catholic parishioners in the Sth America. They believe the Vatican is infallible and all knowing. So to the BF believers mostly believe that AFL HQ is omniscient and all knowing.

However, I beg to differ and dissent.
I firmly believe having the two teams in South East Queensland was a huge mistake. The Gold Coast is simply a basket case than can never be fixed.
The AFL would have been far better served by investing more in the Lions as the the team for all of SEQ and having them play 6 or 7 home games in Brisbane and then 4 or 5 on the Gold Coast every year. Maybe even a game on the Sunny Coast as well.
Brisbane and the Gold Coast is really one big strip anyways. There is simply no way two teams are sustainable and the Gold Coast itself has no real epicentre. It is just a strip. A collection of suburbs from nth to sth. At least Brisbane is a normal city with a centre.
Gold Coast will remain a basket case indefinitely.

The singling out of Brisbane is not based on this trade period alone. The players that have left Brisbane the last 5 years or so speak for themselves. don't think you can blame the list managers and recruiters either given it has happened over a number of regimes. Brisbane had a bad trade period but it's really hard to find blame given the circumstances.

We had a crap year in 2013 with the Go Home 5 (now a whole 4 years ago). Since then we've had a complete overhaul of our off-field staff, worked hard to improve our facilities (difficult when the QLD government doesn't care about anything that's not rugby league), and completely changed our drafting strategy to prioritise kids who are more likely to stay (i.e. Vic Country/academy kids). The only players we've lost that we might have wanted to keep are Aish (we ended up getting an excellent deal, given that he's never lived up to his first year hype and he's struggling to crack the best 22 at Collingwood) and Schache (I doubt anyone could have predicted the extent to which he'd struggle with homesickness/mental health issues). Everyone else we got overs for (Redden), moved on to improve our culture (Hanley), or made a decision about how to prioritise our salary cap (Rockliff).

Stop your bloody whinging, we just paid a future second rounder for a ******* rookie who's never even played VFL!

Shades of the women's Freo side who delisted a player then the very next draft used pick 2 to bring her back lol!

They got reamed at the trade table Gold coast more so. Expect to see the likes of Ainsworth, Brodie and Scrimshaw's name to be tossed up as a possible want to go home factor unless they extend their contract early.. But we all know contracts mean SFA nowadays
Already signed until 2020 ;)

Both clubs stuffed up but they don't play on a level playing field so it's a tough one. I guess the only thing that mitigated their disadvantage was COLA

Something has to give with Brisbane, one step forward 2 steps back, they'll never get back on track losing players hand over fist, i think we may have to give them some extra cap space.

I don't think it's cap space we need - its more money being placed in our footy department. For the first time in years we have real footy people running our club, who understand how to build a list and build a strong culture. I do think that the club's strategy over the past 12 months has been very sound. We drafted 4 top 25 kids last year that have/will all re-sign - all best 22 players. Add another 3 top 20 players this year and we will have a vg young batch of talented kids. Build a strong culture and hopefully they will all stay together.
Money also needs to be placed in the two academies in Qld to help develop better footballers. At the moment we have 5 academy players (Andrews, Hipwood, Keays, Dawson & Allison) on our list with another 1 (Ballenden) possibly two (Payne) to be added this year.
So that's 6-7 players drafted via the academy over the past 4 years.

I'm also in the camp that is happy with the Cameron trade. Don't see the point in haggling over 6 draft spots, in a year where the draft is fairly even from picks 5 - 20. Rather have Cameron now - his inclusion (similar to Weller) will add great excitement and belief to teammates and the fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They got reamed at the trade table Gold coast more so. Expect to see the likes of Ainsworth, Brodie and Scrimshaw's name to be tossed up as a possible want to go home factor unless they extend their contract early.. But we all know contracts mean SFA nowadays
All 4 of our draftees from last year re-signed til 2020

Cameron is worth Pick 35 or so at a club like Brisbane who won't get the most out of him until theyre up and about

Nonsense

He's worth a pick 15-25 in real terms

Brisbane completely s**t the bed with Skakeyty. Was this kid going to retire? That's the only reason I can think they would accept such a pathetic trade.

Pick 12 for Cameron is overs, but you need to pay the price.

Pick 2 for Weller is slight overs. He'll prove to be a real loss once he moves into the midfield for GC.

It's s**t. Both clubs pump loads of cash into player welfare and would easily be in the top 3 teams when it comes to this yet we still have players leaving every single ******* year for s**t picks. It makes it impossible when you have the clubs from the players home states in their ears the moment they are drafted promising them the world. How can you compete with that? Players get sick of losing so leave to play finals, yet we can't get good enough to play finals because players are sick of losing and leave... rinse and repeat.

What make sit even more frustrating is that QLD clubs have to overpay to bring talent in, yet every other club seems to rape our lists picking up bargains.

Bit of a shame and hope they both turn it around, i'm moving to the Gold coast in a few years in Broadbeach so i'm hoping to go to a few of their games. love it up there so pity i'm not a 18 year old gun footballer...lol

Can't really comment on Brisbane other than there is likely more to the Shache thing that Brisbane let him go unders. But they did okay in other ways.

GCS though only made one stuff up depending on what happens next year WCE finish on the ladder and who GCS pick in a supposed super talented draft. The bundle of picks out in 2017 by GCS takes a massive hit points wise if WCE dont finish low on the ladder next year. But if they do, it could be a big win depending on the drafted players GCS get in 2018

The Weller pick with 41 coming back put that trade between pick 3 to 4. Many have underated Weller (only 21) because they have not watched him week in week out. Seldom beaten and excellent skills as well as offensive and defensive game. Leadership qualities and on the cusp of going to the next level.
He also takes to GCS a lot more than his game....he will be excellent for the young guys. There is a :rainbow: folks, don't worry, you have pulled in a gem.

Many had Weller pegged as a potential future captain at Freo. He, himself, said earlier in the year he was taking on more leadership in among the younger guys, and had ambitions to be a leader in the future. Don't worry GC has got themselves a good one. In our recent shellacking at the hands of Adelaide, there were two players that stood up and actually played a game that was noteworthy because it wasn't total dogshyte - Weller and Darcy Tucker. Pick 2 seems heaps, but he's a jet with elite speed and skills, and is not far off completing breaking out and becoming an elite mid in the competition. And 4 top 10 picks last year, and potentially another 2 next year eases the pain of giving up pick 2 this year. Sad to see him go, just wish he'd hadn't said only last year how much he loves it here and wants to be a 'Docker for life' and has ambitions to lead the club. Leaves a bit of a bitter taste, but pick 2 sweetens that a fair bit. He'll be a gun for GC - a total jet, their most marketable player and club captain by 2023. My predictions.

Imo it's unfair to single out Queensland - lots of other clubs got shafted, paid overs, or failed to fire a single shot this trade period (Collingwood, North and Hawthorn all come to mind), but no one's calling their list managers incompetent.
Yeah, nah. You obviously ventured over to the 'pies board where three threads are discussing wtf happened and asking why we handed over a future second. No one can make sense of it. There was similar angst over last year's trade period too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back