Queensland Government calls on you to boycott ben and Jerrys Ice Cream

Remove this Banner Ad

As noted, I agree. It means consumers could only boycott companies they actually purchase stuff from, which would severely limit their potential impact. I am too much of a libertarian to agree with that. However, I see where they are coming from regarding the holding companies to ransom bit. It does mean small suppliers to large retailers effectively have no bargaining power though and can have their points of sale removed on account of the actions of a relatively small amount of people, which is rather unfair.
If the boycott is so impactful as to cause the large retailer to cut off the small supplier, why shouldn't the small supplier just change the practice that is causing the boycott? As you said initially, this is how the free market works.

If the boycott is so impactful as to cause the large retailer to cut off the small supplier, why shouldn't the small supplier just change the practice that is causing the boycott? As you said initially, this is how the free market works.
It could be because it is the core of the business. It means 90% of consumers could have no issue with the practice, but the small supplier is put out of business due to the actions of a small minority that have an issue, eliminating their potential markets due to the high concentration of retailers.

It could be because it is the core of the business. It means 90% of consumers could have no issue with the practice, but the small supplier is put out of business due to the actions of a small minority that have an issue, eliminating their potential markets due to the high concentration of retailers.
A "small minority" and 10% are quite different. 10% is a large minority of your client base. The point is that you are happy for the govt to go against your free market ideals, because you think business is a bit of a sensitive new-age guy when it comes to bad press? I don't think they are that sensitive. Didn't someone recently try to get Israeli products boycotted and it didn't work in the slightest and is only known about due to right-wingers mentioning it to show how dangerously interventionist The Greens (or whoever it was) are?

Of course, if the problem the "small minority" have is the "core of the business" of a small retailer, then that small retailer might not be doing something all that nice.

Just on the Queensland government are we now seeing the return of the Joh Bjelke Peterson style of governing? if i was a Queenslander to say that i was disturbed by this story would be an understatement.

Queensland LNP donor Karreman Quarries escapes prosecution for illegal quarrying after Deputy Premier orders legislation change

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-...pes-prosecution-for-illegal-quarrying/5543896

This is actually hilarious. Surely Ben and Jerry's must have begged the QLD Gov to do this for publicity? I'd never heard of them and are now consequently interested in their ice cream.

Unilever's icecream. Unilever's marketing slogans.

Separate to the facts in this case, orgainsations like WWF should be required to abide by the corporations act with their donations being treated like capital raisings.

They to need to avoid incorrect or misleading statements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back